Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to SEEK through XM stations from the steering wheel? Or is it designed only to scroll through your presets? If I recall correctly on my 09 Escalade, I can choose one of the XM stations as I go through the Favorites, then I just hit up to get to the next XM station and not the next preset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No. You can only seek via the cue screen. What I did was add about 20 "favorites" to use the wheel. I think you can have up to 40 or so "favorites".

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured..... I also noticed that as an example AM 1010 appears in two different places and HD channels also appear. The HD channels take more time to load when your just jumping through stations. I think I'm going back to standard channels and taking your advice on the XM and save as favorites. adamjeeps, what is Tidal HiFi?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
That's what I figured..... I also noticed that as an example AM 1010 appears in two different places and HD channels also appear. The HD channels take more time to load when your just jumping through stations. I think I'm going back to standard channels and taking your advice on the XM and save as favorites. adamjeeps, what is Tidal HiFi?
Tidal HiFi is a service similar to Spotify where you can pay a monthly fee of $20.00 and listen to all the music you wish. They do have stations you can create based on genre or artist, but you can also pick and download to your phone exactly what you want to listen to. No more ads, no more crap you don't want to hear, and most importantly, no more terrible sound quality that XM provides. Tidal is equal to CD quality at worst and lossless audio at best. It is like HD radio that you control. And, it is not limited to one radio like your car XM. It's is on your phone so your music goes where you go. If you don't care about having CD quality sound, Spotify is a good option, it's only $10.00 per month and works like Tidal, but with slightly lower sound quality. You can download the songs to your device and not worry about using data streaming while driving down the road.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
Tidal HiFi is a service similar to Spotify where you can pay a monthly fee of $20.00 and listen to all the music you wish. They do have stations you can create based on genre or artist, but you can also pick and download to your phone exactly what you want to listen to. No more ads, no more crap you don't want to hear, and most importantly, no more terrible sound quality that XM provides. Tidal is equal to CD quality at worst and lossless audio at best. It is like HD radio that you control. And, it is not limited to one radio like your car XM. It's is on your phone so your music goes where you go. If you don't care about having CD quality sound, Spotify is a good option, it's only $10.00 per month and works like Tidal, but with slightly lower sound quality. You can download the songs to your device and not worry about using data streaming while driving down the road.
Good post. I have used Spotify for years and love it. It's on my phone, iPad, laptop, Roku, etc. I know that Tidal is higher fidelity than Spotify but it doesn't have as large a library at the present. My only grip about using my phone in my SRX is that I have to use Aux In and have to change the songs on my phone if I'm not just using a straight playlist or radio. I wish there was a way to plug the phone into the USB port and have the ability to change songs and see what's playing on the console.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Good post. I have used Spotify for years and love it. It's on my phone, iPad, laptop, Roku, etc. I know that Tidal is higher fidelity than Spotify but it doesn't have as large a library at the present. My only grip about using my phone in my SRX is that I have to use Aux In and have to change the songs on my phone if I'm not just using a straight playlist or radio. I wish there was a way to plug the phone into the USB port and have the ability to change songs and see what's playing on the console.
Are you using an Android or Windows phone? Both my wife's and my Iphone play perfectly over USB with full control via steering wheel or radio controls. We even get song title and album art. That really is the only reason I went to Iphone from Android; well plus the 164 GB is plenty to store tons of music on.

I used Spotify too, and my wife still does. You can't go wrong with either. I forgot another advantage to either is XM cutting out around tall buildings or trees on the highway, that is annoying! I can see the appeal to XM if you like news, talk radio, or that kind of programming, but for only music, Tidal or Spotify, etc... is the way to go in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Are you using an Android or Windows phone? Both my wife's and my Iphone play perfectly over USB with full control via steering wheel or radio controls. We even get song title and album art. That really is the only reason I went to Iphone from Android; well plus the 164 GB is plenty to store tons of music on.

I used Spotify too, and my wife still does. You can't go wrong with either. I forgot another advantage to either is XM cutting out around tall buildings or trees on the highway, that is annoying! I can see the appeal to XM if you like news, talk radio, or that kind of programming, but for only music, Tidal or Spotify, etc... is the way to go in my opinion!
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II which, of course, is Android based. I realize that the USB port is different between Android and iPhone and therein lies the problem of why I can't use the controls to navigate. It's not a show stopper but I wish there was an app that would make the USB port able to behave like an iPhone for this very reason.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II which, of course, is Android based. I realize that the USB port is different between Android and iPhone and therein lies the problem of why I can't use the controls to navigate. It's not a show stopper but I wish there was an app that would make the USB port able to behave like an iPhone for this very reason.
Hopefully when Android Auto and Apple Car Play comes out, you would be able to do just that. You should be able to plug your phone into the USB port and then your vehicle touch screen and controls will operate as an extension of your phone!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hopefully when Android Auto and Apple Car Play comes out, you would be able to do just that. You should be able to plug your phone into the USB port and then your vehicle touch screen and controls will operate as an extension of your phone!
Yes, my next car will have Android Auto if I can hold out that long. It certainly won't be another GM product with all the problems I've had.

After my last post I went digging. I found this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.spadival.podmode&hl=en

The problem is that in order to use it you have to make a custom cable. I have neither the tools nor the skills to make the cable so for now I'm still on Aux In.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adamjeeps, thanks for the info! Im using the free trial now. Pretty nice. Is there any way to get a rough calculation on amount of data streamed? I have a 10Gig plan shared with 3 phones and a laptop. Just curious if there is a calc like 1 hour stream = xGB

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
adamjeeps, thanks for the info! Im using the free trial now. Pretty nice. Is there any way to get a rough calculation on amount of data streamed? I have a 10Gig plan shared with 3 phones and a laptop. Just curious if there is a calc like 1 hour stream = xGB
I found this on a review of Tidal:

"Beyond it costing Tidal more money, the other hidden cost is the amount of data the service uses for me — the user. Streaming an hour of 1411 kbps music uses about 500 MB, compared to 140 MB that music streamed at 320 kbps uses. Since data usage — at least on mobile — is a real concern, most music streaming services default to a lower bitrate."

I'll download a few songs every once in awhile over 4G, but do most over WiFi to save data. Use the make available offline feature to download songs to your phone so you don't have to stream it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T-Mobile already offers unlimited data in its mobile plans but throttles data if a customer reaches the plan's cap. The carrier offers three plans, ranging from 4G LTE caps of ranging from 500MB per month 5GB per month, that would benefit from unlimited, high-speed data to enjoy streaming music services. Its most expensive plan offers unlimited 4G LTE data.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
590 Posts
Don't forget to add in the costs if you go over your packages GB use age. I'll stick to XM for $89 a year and XM internet for $40 a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts