Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRX Luxury Gray Flannel Metallic
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

The wife's 2013 SRX has developed a frustrating intermittent electrical problem. At times when she tries to start it there will be a single audible click from outside the car and the car won't start or even turn over. A repeat of the start sequence (foot on brake, push start button) will make it start, but sometimes it takes multiple start attempts, each attempt again making a single audible click from under the hood. The click sounds like the click when a battery is almost dead, except when it does turn over it shows no signs of a weak battery, it spins over normally. Also, when it finally does start her radio will have changed to a station she never listens too, in fact it changes to a station not used in our area, just dead air.

I've taken it in to our local Cadillac dealer twice, but they say they can't replicate the problem and they say there is no code(s) left. They did say they "think" they know what the problem is, but here's the kicker...they say it is about a $700 part and of course I'm 900 miles out of the Cadillac factory warranty, so if they replace it and bill my extended warranty and it doesn't fix it then the extended warranty company will bill them back and the dealer will in turn bill me for it!

I'm worried it is going to leave my wife stranded one of these times. They did assure me if she can't get it to start, to place the key fob in the bottom of the console like you would for a low fob battery and it would reset something and it will start, can anyone confirm that?

I'd rather not have to take it to another dealer since the next closest is about 1.5 hrs away and they might not have any more knowledge than my local one!

Anyone have this happen before or have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

PS, except for this problem, she absolutely loves her SRX!

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,017 Posts
How old is your battery? Sounds like classic symptoms of a intermittent failing battery which will not necessarily show up on a battery test. If your on the original battery, it is due for replacement anyway. These OEM Delcos typically fail around 4 years

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your battery? Sounds like classic symptoms of a intermittent failing battery which will not necessarily show up on a battery test. If your on the original battery, it is due for replacement anyway. These OEM Delcos typically fail around 4 years
It's just a little over a year old, was replaced on 1/28//2016.

·
2014 SRX Performance FWD
2014 SRX Performance FWD
180 Posts
Agree with KRDCAD; sounds like a marginal battery. Could also be a corrosion problem with the positive battery cable to the starter. I'd have the battery tested at autozone or somewhere similar. That's assuming that they tested it at the dealership and told you it's fine. What was the $700 part they claim you need?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with KRDCAD; sounds like a marginal battery. Could also be a corrosion problem with the positive battery cable to the starter. I'd have the battery tested at autozone or somewhere similar. That's assuming that they tested it at the dealership and told you it's fine. What was the $700 part they claim you need?
Unfortunately they didn't say and I failed to ask. I think I was still in shock that I would be billed for it if it didn't fix the problem!

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,758 Posts
Unfortunately they didn't say and I failed to ask. I think I was still in shock that I would be billed for it if it didn't fix the problem!
Call them up and find out exactly what the part is.... Then fellow members can help further diagnose your problem....

Question, when you hear the click outside the car, does the internal ACC stuff turn on, similar to you hitting the PTS without your foot on the brake?
Side note, AC Delco Batteries are famous for having a Cell go bad, not an easy way to test with standard Battery test equipment from all auto parts stores and most repair shops.... Have the dealer give you a copy of the battery test printout. It is an extensive test of the electrical charging system / battery.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance
94 Posts
Try turning on the head lights. That will tell you that the battery is OK. There is enough juice to light the lights but not enough to start the car. Next guess is corrosion on the battery terminal. It's a GM design that has been nothing but problems. The old style posts were very reliable. I had similar problems and had to replace the battery cable. Capt. George

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

About 3 weeks ago we had the issue develop a new "twist"... and it was easily able to be duplicated!

Along with the car just clicking when the push to start button was pushed, it now caused the CUE to go blank and the Dash Info screen to be black with a blue stripe through it. Car would start and run fine, just no CUE or Info on the dash. It continued to do this with several starts and shut offs.

I was able to get it right in at my local dealer and the tech that does that type of work was pretty much baffled. He said he had never seen both screens remain blank in this situation. I went and pestered my sales person while the tech looked at it and a few minutes later the service writer found me and said the tech got it to work by disconnecting the battery for a bit then reconnecting it. Like another member here mentioned, the tech was thinking it is battery related and probably a bad cell. They replaced the battery free of charge and we have not had it happen again...fingers are still crossed! So even though the battery was just over a year old it appears it was a dud!

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
2014 SRX Performance FWD
2014 SRX Performance FWD
180 Posts
UPDATE

About 3 weeks ago we had the issue develop a new "twist"... and it was easily able to be duplicated!

Along with the car just clicking when the push to start button was pushed, it now caused the CUE to go blank and the Dash Info screen to be black with a blue stripe through it. Car would start and run fine, just no CUE or Info on the dash. It continued to do this with several starts and shut offs.

I was able to get it right in at my local dealer and the tech that does that type of work was pretty much baffled. He said he had never seen both screens remain blank in this situation. I went and pestered my sales person while the tech looked at it and a few minutes later the service writer found me and said the tech got it to work by disconnecting the battery for a bit then reconnecting it. Like another member here mentioned, the tech was thinking it is battery related and probably a bad cell. They replaced the battery free of charge and we have not had it happen again...fingers are still crossed! So even though the battery was just over a year old it appears it was a dud!

Thanks for the help everyone!
That sounds a bit like a bad ignition switch. Was the ignition switch the component that they were recommending replacing earlier?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds a bit like a bad ignition switch. Was the ignition switch the component that they were recommending replacing earlier?
No, it wasn't the ignition switch they were talking about, I think the wife said they called it a "~$700 module", whether that was cost of part alone or part + install price I don't know. When it first started happening, I too thought it might be the start switch or even the brake safety switch, but so far it seems the new battery has resolved the issue as it has not happened again since its replacement.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance
94 Posts
The GM battery post design has had problems for years. Your problem sounds like corrosion at the battery terminal. You get voltage but not enough current to turn over the engine. Years ago we would just bang on the cylindrical battery post and the car would start. These GM round serrated posts are not easy to clean. I had the same problem continuously when I had diesels that required lots of current. Capt. George

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,017 Posts
The GM battery post design has had problems for years. Your problem sounds like corrosion at the battery terminal. You get voltage but not enough current to turn over the engine. Years ago we would just bang on the cylindrical battery post and the car would start. These GM round serrated posts are not easy to clean. I had the same problem continuously when I had diesels that required lots of current. Capt. George
What are you talking about? Delco battery posts? I've never seen a serrated battery post.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance
94 Posts
Perhaps serrated is not the best word to describe the side mounted battery posts. Maybe a waffle shape would do it. Whatever word you use, if there is any corrosion, they do not pass enough current to start an engine. The terminals will let enough current through to light the lights but not enough to start the engine and thus the dead battery click.. I would suggest he try cleaning the battery cable and battery contacts. Capt. George

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps serrated is not the best word to describe the side mounted battery posts. Maybe a waffle shape would do it. Whatever word you use, if there is any corrosion, they do not pass enough current to start an engine. The terminals will let enough current through to light the lights but not enough to start the engine and thus the dead battery click.. I would suggest he try cleaning the battery cable and battery contacts. Capt. George
They put in a new battery so hopefully they cleaned the battery cables too!

·
Registered
2012 SRX
1 Posts
I own a 2012 SRX and it has started doing the same thing you have described. The car battery is 8 months old and I changed both key FOBs yesterday and the non-starting issue still persisted. In fact, the key FOB was not detected but it never showed "Low battery" or anything like that on the screen. It only said "service air bag" (WTF?)

I took the battery shroud (cover) off just to look at the connections and put it back on. Coincidentally, after I did that, the car started reacting to the key FOB differently. The blinker lights reacted to the unlock / lock commands from the FOB as they should. Prior to that, only one blinker light would flash...passenger side light on the front and the driver's side light on the rear. Then I noticed the car mileage on the screen showed up, which is a sign that you can now start the vehicle when the brake is pushed.

All of this was yesterday while I was stranded at work. And now this morning at home, I went up to the car and the door wouldn't unlock when I pulled the handle. This is a sign that the FOB is not detected. The only thing it would do is unlock the doors (just like yesterday) but could not start the car. The same "1 click" sound that you had and like yesterday.

I popped the hood to see if looking at the battery again could produce the same magic as yesterday. Sure enough, as soon as I did that, the mileage showed up on the screen and I knew I could now start the car. Sure enough it did start.

Bottom line here is....now I don't trust the car at all to be reliable - to start when needed, without putting on my tin-foil hat and doing a martian dance or something. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update:

I've lost track of how many times we've now had it back to the dealer. The issue with CUE & the Dash screen going blank has been (fingers crossed) fixed, but we are still having the click issue when pushing the push to start button. Again, the dealer can't seem to find the issue. So far it has not left my wife stranded, but it has taken up to 8 push to start sequences to get it to start. Also, it will say "no remote found" when it just clicks. It happens with both remotes and both batteries have been replaced. What I found interesting is on 8/18 it started to start properly and then on 9/20 it again started requiring multiple pushes of the button, 32 flawless days.

Another thing which happened the other day is she received a warning "Service Side Detection System" and the indicators in the outside mirrors that detect cars in your blind spot didn't work. She said they started working again when she started the car the next time. Don't know if that was just a fluke since it hasn't happened again.

We are tired of taking it back and forth to the dealer and have decided to deal with the clicking until it won't start at all then they'll receive it on the back of a tow truck.

[sigh, going on 6 months now.]

·
Registered
10 SRX
407 Posts
I agree, it does sound like the battery is loosing contact or dead . Are your terminals clean and tight?

·
2014 SRX Performance FWD
2014 SRX Performance FWD
180 Posts
I recall similar electrical symptoms being caused by hidden corrosion in the positive battery cable itself. Don't know if GM often has this issue or not...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Up-Date

Like I had said in a previous post, we had decided to put up with the repeated push to starts until it wouldn't start at all and last Wed 10/4/17 it did just that. It failed to start even after MANY push to start attempts, no click, no nothing, no electric door locks...it was dead. I had it towed to my local dealer's service dept.

The next morning when the service writer went to see if it would start so he could to move it into the service bay it still wouldn't start. He had a tech look at it and during the course of his inspection/fiddling with stuff, he moved the negative battery cable a little bit and it started.

He ordered a new battery cable and a fuse he said was associated with it. The parts came in yesterday and when he called me to tell me the SRX was ready for pick up he said they cut the sheathing open on the old cable but didn't see any corrosion but he did say the cable just didn't feel right, like it wasn't as tightly wound as the new cable. He didn't know if that had any bearing on it or not. I wasn't able to look at the old cable as the wife picked it up but I might go over on Monday and see if he still has it.

So, now it's a waiting game to see if the problem has been fixed for good this time!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts