Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife bought a 2013 SRX 2 years ago. The vehicle is in great shape but we are having an ongoing and frequent problem with it not always starting. In order to get the car to start we have had to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals to get the cars computer to allow the car to start. We have even tried to replace the battery to no avail.
Many times we get the “Q” to come on but the start button simply “clicks”
Has anyone has similar issues and if so what advice if any do you have? Thx

my wife bought a 2013 SRX 2 years ago. The vehicle is in great shape but we are having an ongoing and frequent problem with it not always starting. In order to get the car to start we have had to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals to get the cars computer to allow the car to start. We have even tried to replace the battery to no avail.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,722 Posts
You might want to consider posting in the proper SRX forum. You are in the CTS forum.
SRX Forum

Moved. Sub.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,648 Posts
If it has remote start do you have the same experience with that method of starting?
If not, I'd replace the starter switch and starter relay, since push buttons in general going bad is not uncommon and your particular start button is available for purchase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK Jbird, what did your car do when it wouldn't start?

On my CTS if you unhook the battery you have procedures to do to get it going again as well.

I just posted this on another page:
NorthernSRX, what do you mean by Fuel Rail Pressure?
The reason I ask is that my 2012 sport wagon has been totally trouble free (except for the front end squeaking on dips and bumps in cold weather, like many here have reported) But yesterday after gassing up when I started it (it always started on the first click) the starter turned over several revolutions until I turned it off and turned off the headlights and tried again. It started on the first click the second time. Only 49,000 miles on it. New battery last year. Anyone else have that problem, or know what it might lead to? My first thought was that it didn't get gas. THANKS

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,648 Posts
yesterday after gassing up when I started it (it always started on the first click) the starter turned over several revolutions until I turned it off and turned off the headlights and tried again. It started on the first click the second time.
That could be nothing without a reoccurring pattern, it can also be an early sign of a failing purge valve solenoid, which often presents with problems starting the car after refueling.

The CANBUS system of communication that modern cars use to send and receive data between the modules is like the internet for a car. Data is transferred and modules pick through it for information necessary to conduct their functions, that's how the gauge cluster for example gets its info in order to display the correct readings.

The information is prioritize and can be interrupted by other data seeking equipment and as a result the occasional glitch happens, particular when an unusual sequence takes place. The horn might not beep when you press the lock button on the way out, hands free might not release if you're on the phone when the car is shut down and the door is opened, or depending on when you press the terminate button for a call, the radio may hang and not play without restarting the car. It's only a problem if it keeps happening. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
422 Posts
There have been a number of similar issues in the last couple years and are discussed in-depth here in the SRX forum.

Do a search and you'll find plenty to read. In short, the most common issue has been found to be bad battery cable connections or bad cables. (Not just the connections at the battery.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SRX forum isn't nearly as active or helpful as the CTS forums but posting here is a little like losing your keys in the garage but looking in the living room because the light there is better.

Good luck finding a solution to the problem.

Moved. Sub.
Ithank you for the info..I am new to the site and accidentally posted my SRX question on the wrong forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Jbird, what did your car do when it wouldn't start?

On my CTS if you unhook the battery you have procedures to do to get it going again as well.

I just posted this on another page:
NorthernSRX, what do you mean by Fuel Rail Pressure?
The reason I ask is that my 2012 sport wagon has been totally trouble free (except for the front end squeaking on dips and bumps in cold weather, like many here have reported) But yesterday after gassing up when I started it (it always started on the first click) the starter turned over several revolutions until I turned it off and turned off the headlights and tried again. It started on the first click the second time. Only 49,000 miles on it. New battery last year. Anyone else have that problem, or know what it might lead to? My first thought was that it didn't get gas. THANKS
When it wouldn't start we would disconnect-reconnect the battery terminal and 90% of the time it would start without any procedure needed.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
479 Posts
Seems like the logical starting point with anything electrical on these cars is the battery cables. Make sure yours are clean and tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like the logical starting point with anything electrical on these cars is the battery cables. Make sure yours are clean and tight.
Cables are tight and not corroded. Ive wondered if the battery cover has something to do with the problem. Are there sensors on the cover?

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,431 Posts
Cables are tight and not corroded. Ive wondered if the battery cover has something to do with the problem. Are there sensors on the cover?
Do you own a battery tester or volt meter? I had an old Volvo wagon that used to "shudder" and the culprit was a loose ground. The devil to find too. Good luck

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
479 Posts
I've not had to mess with it, but from what I've read, the cover is actually your main computer. Not sure about sensors, but likely full of all sorts of fun electrical stuff. Definitely worthy of a little scrutiny. It's easy for me to say, having one of the top dealerships in the nation nearby, but I'd just take it to the dealer if nothing obvious is turned up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've not had to mess with it, but from what I've read, the cover is actually your main computer. Not sure about sensors, but likely full of all sorts of fun electrical stuff. Definitely worthy of a little scrutiny. It's easy for me to say, having one of the top dealerships in the nation nearby, but I'd just take it to the dealer if nothing obvious is turned up.
Sounds good thank you

·
Registered
2007 STS 1996 Eldorado ETC
5 Posts
Oddly enough, I have a 2007 Cadillac STS with 96,000 miles on it and I am having a problem also with my car randomly not starting. The problem happens about once every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes
I can keep trying and it may start after 5 minutes, sometimes I just leave the car and come back hours later and it will start. I've already changed the starter and replaced to battery. The odd thing is.... time is what makes it start again. Doing nothing else but waiting will make it start. I have no check dash warning lit. When i push the button to start, nothing happens. It's as if I never even pushed the button. If i keep my foot on the brake after pushing the button with no response, after about 3 minutes the radio and accessories will come on, but the car still won't respond when pushing the start button. A time or 2 when having this issue I still had my foot on the brake for a minute or so after pushing start and the car just up and started. I have found others in the STS forum who have had this problem. It seems that only the people with the European STS have found a solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the voltage on the p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your battery voltage from the positive cable to the computer fuse box. We had this problem and found the cable was kinked, from the battery the voltage was vvol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the voltage on your positive battery cable to your computer fuse box, we had this issue and found from the battery to the positive post was 12.5 but to the fuse box was only 3.25. We had a faulty battery cable, once changed it now runs like a top.

·
Registered
2013 SRX &2015 SRX
9 Posts
My son had the same problem, he inspected the cables going to the starter and found a burnt spot at a frame overlap on the cable taped it, purchased a new cable, and replaced the cable, No problems in months

1 - 20 of 23 Posts