Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX AWD Luxury
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this Cadillac 2013 SRX less than 30 days ago. A starting problem developed last week and the battery was replaced under the 90-day warranty. As we speak, the car sits and will not remote-start although having the brand new battery installed by the dealership two days ago; I haven't tried to jump start it yet, so I'm hoping a jump will get me back to the dealership for service.
However, I experienced long-term starting issues with a Cadillac 2006 STS; diagnostic of the STS battery cable to the starter found the cable had developed a short. Subsequently, the issue was temporarily resolved by a new replacement of the connecting battery cable to the starter but eventually the starting issue re-occurred. At it's worse point, the car would not always respond to a jump start, although the battery passed voltage diagnostic test.
At present, I would like to reach out to Cadillac owners having experienced similar starting issues concerning the battery, connecting cable, starter, solenoid and any electrical system failure in general, so I might get a greater understanding of this Cadillac starting issue and direction from owners as to how I can resolve the issue, because the 2013 SRX is leading me down the same path as the 2006 STS.
Is this issue in the DNA of Cadillac due to a demand of massive electrical power for it's electrical system?

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
551 Posts
You are aware are you not that remote start is not the only way to start an SRX. You can actually get into the vehicle and try starting that way.

George

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are aware are you not that remote start is not the only way to start an SRX. You can actually get into the vehicle and try starting that way.

George
Yes... or any automobile for that matter.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
13 Posts
I just purchased this Cadillac 2013 SRX less than 30 days ago. A starting problem developed last week and the battery was replaced under the 90-day warranty. As we speak, the car sits and will not remote-start although having the brand new battery installed by the dealership two days ago; I haven't tried to jump start it yet, so I'm hoping a jump will get me back to the dealership for service.
However, I experienced long-term starting issues with a Cadillac 2006 STS; diagnostic of the STS battery cable to the starter found the cable had developed a short. Subsequently, the issue was temporarily resolved by a new replacement of the connecting battery cable to the starter but eventually the starting issue re-occurred. At it's worse point, the car would not always respond to a jump start, although the battery passed voltage diagnostic test.
At present, I would like to reach out to Cadillac owners having experienced similar starting issues concerning the battery, connecting cable, starter, solenoid and any electrical system failure in general, so I might get a greater understanding of this Cadillac starting issue and direction from owners as to how I can resolve the issue, because the 2013 SRX is leading me down the same path as the 2006 STS.
Is this issue in the DNA of Cadillac due to a demand of massive electrical power for it's electrical system?
I have no issues with my 2013. It is 2019. Your battery was probably 6-7 years old when you purchased the car. What is the current battery voltage resting? Have you put a meter to it? It should read 12.6 volts or higher. New batteries should be put on a charger once installed. No one says this and few owners do it. Batteries often sit on a shelf sometimes for months. A voltage reading at the terminals will tell you if your's was/ is fully charged or not.

You don't indicate if you can start the car directly. If you can, your issue has nothing to do with the battery cable, solenoid or starter. Comparing your car to an earlier generation vehicle isn't typically a valid approach unless you know all part numbers are the same.

May I suggest that you search all the forums for no start issue as most people are not going to respond as I did. You will better serve your needs seeking them out through the search function. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
732 Posts
Our cars have sub-cables in the connection box around the battery that frequently fail, if not cleaned and tightened when the battery was replaced, especially on a 6-7 year old car.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
271 Posts
The battery connections in this vehicle are not your normal connections, as there are several sub cables as Willy92 mentioned. Might want to remove the battery cover and look for a loose or broken wire. I changed the battery in my 2012 last year without issue. Also, I have owned several Caddy's and never had a starting issue, so I guess yo have been unlucky.

Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no issues with my 2013. It is 2019. Your battery was probably 6-7 years old when you purchased the car. What is the current battery voltage resting? Have you put a meter to it? It should read 12.6 volts or higher. New batteries should be put on a charger once installed. No one says this and few owners do it. Batteries often sit on a shelf sometimes for months. A voltage reading at the terminals will tell you if your's was/ is fully charged or not.

You don't indicate if you can start the car directly. If you can, your issue has nothing to do with the battery cable, solenoid or starter. Comparing your car to an earlier generation vehicle isn't typically a valid approach unless you know all part numbers are the same.

May I suggest that you search all the forums for no start issue as most people are not going to respond as I did. You will better serve your needs seeking them out through the search function. I hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to advise me on using this forum and enlightening me on the no start issue I’ve encountered. I’m moving forward with my journey and more informed, thanks to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope that response wasn't sarcasm as I was truly trying to help with your issue.
Thank you again... you must have overlooked my reply at the end of "discussion starter #7". You most certainly did help me and I appreciate the time you spent to do so. The comment you read was my first time posting on the forum... I'm a "newbie. As you indicated the new battery apparently needed a charge but after driving it for a while the voltage is consistently around 14 volts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you again... you must have overlooked my reply at the end of "discussion starter #7". You most certainly did help me and I appreciate the time you spent to do so. The comment you read was my first time posting on the forum... I'm a "newbie. As you indicated the new battery apparently needed a charge but after driving it for a while the voltage is consistently around 14 volts. Thanks again, I am relieved the issue wasn't serious.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
13 Posts
ok great and thank you. I'm a veteran member of a Jaguar Forum and rarely is anyone not sarcastic over there, so I wasn't sure:) 14 volts while running is perfect. I don't pay much attention to my SRX but the Jaguar loves and needs a healthy battery. I keep it on a maintainer when not in use and keep a lithium Ion jump start pack in the boot just in case...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our cars have sub-cables in the connection box around the battery that frequently fail, if not cleaned and tightened when the battery was replaced, especially on a 6-7 year old car.
I appreciate your comment, thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok great and thank you. I'm a veteran member of a Jaguar Forum and rarely is anyone not sarcastic over there, so I wasn't sure:) 14 volts while running is perfect. I don't pay much attention to my SRX but the Jaguar loves and needs a healthy battery. I keep it on a maintainer when not in use and keep a lithium Ion jump start pack in the boot just in case...
The information is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate your guidance. Thxs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thxs, appreciate the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue, I replaced the battery about 9 months ago and it ramdomly does not start it has no electrical power. After I remove the battery warmerand put it back the power goes back on and it start. Then it will prompt me to lower the driver side window all the way down and up then tell me to lower and up the passenger window.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
328 Posts
this may or may or may not be related, but my srx drains its battery to the point it barely starts after several days of non use. i have a brand new battery recommended for the vehicle, i also have but a 1 amp battery "tender" on it to resolve the issue. the car has lots of power hungry sneak circuits, dont wanna think about leaving it at the airport for 2 weeks :oops:

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
424 Posts
Check your glove box. Does it happen to be "ajar" a little on the right side ? And possibly leaving the light on it there ? Our 12' SRX did that when i first got it. Closed it and has been fine since. Just have to make sure once in a while that both sides of box are snapped in when it's closed.

Steve

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
551 Posts
this may or may or may not be related, but my srx drains its battery to the point it barely starts after several days of non use. i have a brand new battery recommended for the vehicle, i also have but a 1 amp battery "tender" on it to resolve the issue. the car has lots of power hungry sneak circuits, dont wanna think about leaving it at the airport for 2 weeks :oops:
My 2013 SRX Performance sits in the garage for 2 weeks when I travel and I have no problems.

George

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue, I replaced the battery about 9 months ago and it ramdomly does not start it has no electrical power. After I remove the battery warmerand put it back the power goes back on and it start. Then it will prompt me to lower the driver side window all the way down and up then tell me to lower and up the passenger window.
Took the car to the dealer and found the positive jumper cable from the batterry is shorted causing a voltage drop to the ignition. it's good now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts