Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
It's OK I'm a Limo driver
1,324 Posts
Congratulations!!!
That pretty awesome. My white 07 has fixed boards but my new to me black 07 has power boards.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I thought you were working on installing the integrated trailer brake controller GM left off every Escalade made. This is even better.

Congrats on that feat of retro-fitment. What did you use to override the function, the OE button pack? I’d love to see any pics you took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,929 Posts
These 5HP mods are awesome!

Errr... I thought 2013 already had folding running boards? Or, was it an option?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought you were working on installing the integrated trailer brake controller GM left off every Escalade made. This is even better.

Congrats on that feat of retro-fitment. What did you use to override the function, the OE button pack? I’d love to see any pics you took.

There’s probably easier ways of doing this but I wanted to use the proper fuse location in the box to keep the install as clean and near oem quality as possible. I first noticed that fuse 65 had terminals, so I pulled the fuse box to checkout the X4 fuse block. It was already wired with a 10awg red/blk wire that ran into a larger harness that entered the truck just below the master cylinder. I lost the wire once it entered the truck, I carefully cut open the harness tape on the large harness under the dash to find 4+ 10awg red/blk wires. I then used a racer blade to make small slices into the wire to try to olm out the wire but couldn’t make a match so I ended up clipping it just before it entered the truck and ran it in a new loom next to the main body harness that runs along the driver’s side frame rail.
After establishing the 12v wire, I simply made a common ground using an empty hole near one of the main body grounds on a frame rail support. (Alldata wiring schematic’s call for the module to use a body ground.)
Now the part where the magic happens, located in the upper left corner under the dash is the JX 200 splice pack, (GMLan class 2 network) mine was covered in a grey vinyl tape (I’ll edit this post and add a picture). Remove the tape and pull it down it should comfortably reach near the parking brake. There are some special clips that need to be undone, one on top (grey) that helps hold the terminals into the connector and the “comb” which is the white part on the bottom that will need pliers to remove. Once the combs removed, it’s time to start removing terminal F (keeping it intact). A new wire crimped with the proper terminal will be introduced to slot F which will run down to the step assist module. The old F terminal also gets a new wire with a male terminal and ran along with the new wire that took its place in the splice pack. Both wires need to make there way down to the control module. I ran mine threw the shifter grommet. There will also be one more wire that will need to travel with this group and it’s for the step disable switch which replaces the single pedal adjustment switch panel with GM Part# 20820630. The switch requires the wire traveling with the 2 GMLan wires and a ground source.
Those are all the necessary wires needed to control the module. I bought the needed 12pin Delphi GT 150 connector and a 6pin Service Connector: 13580872 which is a pigtail. You can also use the 5 pin motor connectors; Service Connector: 13582061. That’s nearly everything you need to do the retro fit, all that’s left would be to makeup your own harness and it’s pretty much plug n play. You will also have to do the “Startup procedure” to activate the running boards, which I’ll also link as well as wiring schematics of the class 2 network along with expanded connector views of the plug-ins. Hope this helps anyone in the future looking to do this mod and my apologies for the novel but it took a lot of time researching everything to get it to function properly. There was talk of this mod in the past of not being able to function without having to replace your BCM which is completely untrue and some even went as far as getting a custom module made. The oem module just interoperates pulse signals on the class 2 GMLan, your door opens it sends a signal which is picked up by the step assist module is all.

JX 200 Terminated Lead: 13575721

6-Way F GT 280 Series, Sealed (BK): Service Connector: 13580872

5-Way F GT 280 5.8 Series, Sealed (BK): Service Connector: 13582061

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Love, love, love the attention to detail and congrats on unraveling all the urban legends about the BCM’s (lack of) requirement to make the motorized running boards go.

It’s funny how GM made all the special treats so difficult to add onto cross models. It’s a clever way manufacturers force consumers to buy a new truck instead of adding the missing options.

Imagine how frustrated dealers would be if customers knew how to add e85 capability with a tune & fuel sensor, BT and advanced cell phone control with a VCIM swap or motorized running boards. An aftermarket shop could dial in an 07/ 08 Escalade, Denali or even a 3/4 ton Burb up to 2014 accessory levels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love, love, love the attention to detail and congrats on unraveling all the urban legends about the BCM’s (lack of) requirement to make the motorized running boards go.

It’s funny how GM made all the special treats so difficult to add onto cross models. It’s a clever way manufacturers force consumers to buy a new truck instead of adding the missing options.

Imagine how frustrated dealers would be if customers knew how to add e85 capability with a tune & fuel sensor, BT and advanced cell phone control with a VCIM swap or motorized running boards. An aftermarket shop could dial in an 07/ 08 Escalade, Denali or even a 3/4 ton Burb up to 2014 accessory levels.

thanks it was a fun project, and your so right about the way they lure you into a new vehicle for a new emblem and few updated creature comfort’s.
thanks it was a fun project, and your so right about the way they lure you into a new vehicle for a new emblem and few updated creature comfort’s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts