Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired my new CTS4 from a used car lot, and I'm looking to install a Short Ram style air intake for the 3.6l. Does anyone have experience with a good air intake that gives ram style induction?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,398 Posts
Most "modern" engines already use a tuned runner intake manifold.

If you're talking about a so-called "cold air intake" the engine already has a perfectly good one straight from the factory.

·
Registered
Magoo—2012 Cadillac CTS Luxury, Opulent Blue, plus many more, see signature.
524 Posts
Are you looking for more noise? Do you just want the look of an aftermarket intake when you open the hood? Are you willing to trade some performance for the sound or the look? If that's your goal, buy the one that looks the best.

If your goal is more power, more performance and/or better fuel economy, stick an AC/Delco filter in the stock air cleaner housing and you're done. The stock AC Delco air filter in the stock air cleaner is a true "cold air intake" (it draws cold air from behind the headlight, in front of/beside the radiator, not from the engine bay) and will flow enough air that there's no pressure drop in the intake manifold at full throttle all the way to red line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you looking for more noise? Do you just want the look of an aftermarket intake when you open the hood? Are you willing to trade some performance for the sound or the look? If that's your goal, buy the one that looks the best.

If your goal is more power, more performance and/or better fuel economy, stick an AC/Delco filter in the stock air cleaner housing and you're done. The stock AC Delco air filter in the stock air cleaner is a true "cold air intake" (it draws cold air from behind the headlight, in front of/beside the radiator, not from the engine bay) and will flow enough air that there's no pressure drop in the intake manifold at full throttle all the way to red line.
I'm looking more so for noise over making more power, though, if I can find one that does both that'd be ideal.

·
Registered
Magoo—2012 Cadillac CTS Luxury, Opulent Blue, plus many more, see signature.
524 Posts
I'm looking more so for noise over making more power, though, if I can find one that does both that'd be ideal.
The stock setup is adequate for all the power a stock engine with a stock exhaust can make. If you watch the intake manifold pressure on a graph, using an AC Delco filter in the stock air box, the pressure drop at full throttle is minimal and doesn't really start until around 6,000 RPMs. It also looks more like a venturi effect pressure drop and less like a restriction anywhere in front of or at the throttle body.

Note that other brands of filters don't flow as high a volume as the AC Delco A3096C, and if you monitor intake manifold pressures with a Wix 49498 or some of the other aftermarket filters for these cars, you will see what a restrictive filter looks like in the data. The AC Delco A3096C seems to be adequate for all the air a stock engine can use.

If you just want a "cone filter on a pipe" type intake, be aware that if it uses an oiled media filter, you're going to need to clean the MAF sensor regularly. Also, if you monitor intake air temperatures with any of those, the intake air temp will be significantly higher than with the stock setup. You might see an increase of 25° to 40°F in intake air temperatures. That's going to hurt power.

If you must do that, the intakes with plastic pipes/ducts keep the intake air cooler than metal pipes/ducts, but without a whole lot of work, nothing will keep the air as cool as the stock setup. And if you want to get things even cooler, for more potential power, putting some effort into minor mods (mostly additional insulation) on the stock setup will yield improvements to that system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock setup is adequate for all the power a stock engine with a stock exhaust can make. If you watch the intake manifold pressure on a graph, using an AC Delco filter in the stock air box, the pressure drop at full throttle is minimal and doesn't really start until around 6,000 RPMs. It also looks more like a venturi effect pressure drop and less like a restriction anywhere in front of or at the throttle body.

Note that other brands of filters don't flow as high a volume as the AC Delco A3096C, and if you monitor intake manifold pressures with a Wix 49498 or some of the other aftermarket filters for these cars, you will see what a restrictive filter looks like in the data. The AC Delco A3096C seems to be adequate for all the air a stock engine can use.

If you just want a "cone filter on a pipe" type intake, be aware that if it uses an oiled media filter, you're going to need to clean the MAF sensor regularly. Also, if you monitor intake air temperatures with any of those, the intake air temp will be significantly higher than with the stock setup. You might see an increase of 25° to 40°F in intake air temperatures. That's going to hurt power.

If you must do that, the intakes with plastic pipes/ducts keep the intake air cooler than metal pipes/ducts, but without a whole lot of work, nothing will keep the air as cool as the stock setup. And if you want to get things even cooler, for more potential power, putting some effort into minor mods (mostly additional insulation) on the stock setup will yield improvements to that system.
Sorry for the late reply, I never got a notification saying this post was responded to.

Anyways, the AC Delco you refer to just fits in the stock box? Do they also sell a conical style filter without the oil?

I'm also looking into getting a 4 inch MAF so that the entire pipe leading to the throttle body is 4 inches, which is why I ask. Otherwise for the time being, the one that fits into the stock box is fine for me. Especially with winter coming (I live in NY currently, but am joining the Marine corps so won't be here forever lmao)

Anyways, as I said before, 318hp is more than plants for me so I'm looking for moreso noise and look over anything else.

·
Registered
2004 SRX.2012 CTS v power
75 Posts
If you want more noise, replace the panel filter with a K&N, and remove the snorkel from air filter housing.
You will be pleasantly surprised by the engine “ GROWL “

1 - 7 of 7 Posts