Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would not drive my CTS Coupe without runflats. Just think of what would happen when you get a flat. Try finding a 275/40/19 tire in stock at a tire dealer.....good luck. I do not notice the difference using run flats. I once had a Corvette and tried non runflats. I had a flat and had to be towed hone on a flatbed wrecker. I will pay the extra cost for runflats.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,541 Posts
I
I would not drive my CTS Coupe without runflats. Just think of what would happen when you get a flat. Try finding a 275/40/19 tire in stock at a tire dealer.....good luck. I do not notice the difference using run flats. I once had a Corvette and tried non runflats. I had a flat and had to be towed hone on a flatbed wrecker. I will pay the extra cost for runflats.
ive taken this chance for many years. Run flats at this stage are horrible. Compared to regular tires there is a huge difference including the sound. But I get you don't want to be stuck with a flat. If I go on a long drive I make sure I have some tire fix to get me where I am going.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
812 Posts
Over the past four years I've had two sidewall blowouts on my winter tires. My circumstances are a little bit different, though. My company pays for AAA Plus, so I can flatbed for free up to 100 miles. Both times, I just had my car brought home and I just slapped on one of my dedicated summer wheels until I had the tire replaced. So, wouldn't work for most people, but it's an option. If I didn't have the two sets of wheels, I'd probably get the spare kit that some company puts together. Space saver spare tire, tools, scissor jack, and a carry bag for around $400. None of this is as convenient as just having run-flats, I guess, but neither is having to drive on run-flats, all the time. Just can't win!

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,519 Posts
I also have standard tires, not run flats, then standard AAA, not extended towing. In the unlikely chance that I need to be towed further than the policy covers I will just pay the extra. It hasn't happened in the 6 years i have owned this car. I did have a sidewall blowout but luckily pretty close to my house. Walked to friends house, he drove me to my house, picked up floor jack and a winter/wheel tire and went back and changed it. Roughly an extra hour. Runflats don't solve all problems as they are only recommended for 50 miles, don't work in a severe blowout and come with a harsh ride, strange thumping over bumps and high cost. With the 50 miles, if you have flat, drive some amount to get it fixed, the mileage recommended from then on is then getting close to nothing left.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2013 Luxury RWD 3.6 ATS with 21k miles. Bought it with 9k miles about 8 months ago. It has the original Michelin Primacy run flats which still have pretty decent tread. I noticed over the past couple months that the car jumps/slides when I hit bumps, especially at higher speeds. It feels like I'm driving on marbles. Wife says if feels like hydroplaning. I also have been feeling the bumps quite a bit more lately too. The ride has gotten pretty rough. Would you think these are symptoms of the run flats aging or potential suspension problems. Thanks in advance.
Air pressure on these tires must be perfect to spec, especially if you have the run flats. The treads are manufactured to be exceptionally sturdy, but ride hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exactly. I had one go flat on the Turnpike, but I still got to work on time and took care of it later.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
10 Posts
I've been happy every time I got rid of Michelin tires, never so much as when I ditched the stock run flats! Mine came used with ~30k on them, I had them off the car within about 2 weeks. It now handles better and is more responsive. Start there, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Bought my 2013 ATS in January last year and had to deal with the run flats. . . Yes they work but the cost isn't worth it as there are better tires on the market. I replaced my Michelins with Pirelli P7's and also went up the next tire size. . . .The car is amazing and the handling this winter was great and also in the summer driving. Yes run flats have a purpose but I feel that GM was trying to outdo it's self in this car. Yes I like the handling as mine is a Luxury/Sport Performance AWD with all of the options you could get on this and it is a 2.0 Turbo. I really like it and it's not a car that you would buy for gas mileage but the handling is great! Great Forum and enjoy hearing from other owners. . . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Luxury RWD 3.6 ATS with 21k miles. Bought it with 9k miles about 8 months ago. It has the original Michelin Primacy run flats which still have pretty decent tread. I noticed over the past couple months that the car jumps/slides when I hit bumps, especially at higher speeds. It feels like I'm driving on marbles. Wife says if feels like hydroplaning. I also have been feeling the bumps quite a bit more lately too. The ride has gotten pretty rough. Would you think these are symptoms of the run flats aging or potential suspension problems. Thanks in advance.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts