Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Luxury RWD 3.6 ATS with 21k miles. Bought it with 9k miles about 8 months ago. It has the original Michelin Primacy run flats which still have pretty decent tread. I noticed over the past couple months that the car jumps/slides when I hit bumps, especially at higher speeds. It feels like I'm driving on marbles. Wife says if feels like hydroplaning. I also have been feeling the bumps quite a bit more lately too. The ride has gotten pretty rough. Would you think these are symptoms of the run flats aging or potential suspension problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,469 Posts
Double check your cold tire pressure with a gauge (don't just rely on TPMS). Setting the inflation pressure too high will cause this HOWEVER your original tires are at least 6 calendar years old and could easily be a couple of years older. The tread compound gets harder with heat/cool cycles so the grip is certainly less than when they were new and it is time to start thinking about new tires even though they don't have a lot of miles on them and still have good tread.

I will probably make it through this driving season with my 2016 Corvette Z06 tires; they only have 11K on them and the tread is still well within acceptable legal limits and they don't start with much tread BUT while doing some spirited driving today I found the tires are breaking loose far more easily than they did when new. I had a chance to give it a run in a closed private parking lot and the full throttle 3 to 4 shift which occurs at 100 broke the tires loose which it wouldn't do with newer tires on the same surface. Your 6 year old tires are old tire regardless of miles/tread.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
56 Posts
I noticed the rock hard factory Michelins had a much higher tendency to do this compared to my Yokohamas.

In my opinion, the primacys are only “good” for about 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses so far. I believe the car sat for about two years with no driving from what I can tell from the the Carfax. I had the car in for service at local Caddy dealer when I first bought it about 8 months ago due to a creaking when turning the steering wheel all the way right or left. The dealer wanted to replace the entire suspension, but the company that holds the service contract sent an inspector and said "nope". The dealer approved the upper strut mounts and fixed the noise. Not sure if the dealer was trying to upsell or the service contract company was neglecting needed repairs. Each blamed the other. The car drove nicely until recently. I tend to think what others are saying and the added wear on the RFT are causing the handling problems. Should I bring it to a different GM dealer or a local auto repair for another opinion on the suspension?

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
232 Posts
Getting a second opinion never hurt, if the strut mounts were worn it would only make sense to do the whole assembly. You have to remove it from the vehicle to replace it, so it would have probably cost the same labor, just more for parts. Any car that sits for a long period of time will have deteriorated suspension due to the elasticity in the springs being reduced and the internals in the damper not being lubricated and seizing. It sounds like your probably having an issue with jounce, which is directly related to how a vehicle handles when it is elevated over a bump, a problem with rebound would give you a floaty wobbly ride.

Good luck, hope the problem gets resolved. When this car is fixed correctly, its a dream to drive.

·
Registered
91 Fltwd Coupe (93 Regal Coupe & 90 LSC SE)
388 Posts
To me it almost sounds like the traction control kicking in though I don't know anything about these newer models nor whether there's a light indicating it coming on or anything.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,522 Posts
Upvote for checking tire pressure and ditching the rock-hard run-flats. Had these on my XLR and could swear the car would rotate a few degrees when hitting the same bump on the highway at speed during my daily commute.

·
Registered
2013 ATS4 3.6L Premium
216 Posts
As others have said - tire age plus crappy runflats are probably the issue... Swap them out for new non-RF and you'll see what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,401 Posts
To me it almost sounds like the traction control kicking in though I don't know anything about these newer models nor whether there's a light indicating it coming on or anything.
yes, if the TC system activates, you'll see it pop-up on the dashboard. TC kicking-in generally feels like the power has been drained from the motor. it won't feel like the car is sliding.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
462 Posts
I'd bet money on no suspension problems.
Every RFT I've experienced absolutely sucks and exhibit the exact characteristics described by the OP.
I drive the same road every day heading to town. There is some broken/rough pavement in a slight curve on this 45mph road.
My ATS with its OE tires and every loaner CTS with RFT's I've ever driven will "dance" sideways noticeably on this curve every time.
My ATS with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 or Bridgestone Blizzak tires does not do this.
My car is smoother, quieter, handles better, and no longer scares me in the rain since ditching the RFT's. Amazing how many noises went away with the change, even slow speed noises. Even the snow tires are quieter than my 25k Michelin ZP's were.
RFT's of every brand that I've driven are the work of the devil himself.

Wanna know how I really feel?

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T AWD
16 Posts
another vote for a tire age problem. Get some good non-run flats and life will be much better.
I agree. I had the original funflats on my 2016 2.0T and didn't like the feel of them, especially when they "bottomed out" over ridges like bridge edges. Non runflat tires are working a lot better for me. And I believe that tires are only really good for about 5 years, regardless of miles driven.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
351 Posts
The OP is describing the issue as sliding NOT bouncing/jounce which is what I would expect from seized/slow shocks. I recently revived a car thats been sitting four years and the ride was super stiff at first but after 40 miles or so everything feels back to normal.

I'm thinking tires. Not just because they are runflat but because two years of any tire sitting is going to result in flat spots and internal damage. Run flats are far better at hiding structural failures, thats probably why OP is not complaining about vibrations or multiple attempts at balancing.

I've had two run flats (both on the BMW) that had internal failures and felt weird like the OP is desrcibing. I thought it was a sway bar end link or bushing at first. After the first tire I knew exactly what it was the second time. Two different manufacturers, one nearly new (1 yr old) and one towards then end of its life.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Premium
38 Posts
I am on my second ATS (first was a 2.0T manual, second Premium 3.6V). The Michelin Run-Flat tires suck, plain and simple. They have no grip, and shockingly, you will notice the rear end start to slide on a turn during precipitation. My suggestion, use them up, and replace them with standard tires, and put an inflation kit in the trunk. The car itself is fabulous (otherwise, why would I buy it, twice?)-the tires detract from the experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Luxury RWD 3.6 ATS with 21k miles. Bought it with 9k miles about 8 months ago. It has the original Michelin Primacy run flats which still have pretty decent tread. I noticed over the past couple months that the car jumps/slides when I hit bumps, especially at higher speeds. It feels like I'm driving on marbles. Wife says if feels like hydroplaning. I also have been feeling the bumps quite a bit more lately too. The ride has gotten pretty rough. Would you think these are symptoms of the run flats aging or potential suspension problems. Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue with different tires. Took it back to the dealer and had to replaced the front struts. Would not be surprise its the same issue.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,451 Posts
The run flats suck. Get some new non runflats. I went through this crap. They get really hard after time. The runflats are really loud besides being dangerous. If they are on a Prius then fine but not on a rear drive ats.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Here's something to try. Drive over a sunken sewer cover with each side. My RR kicked the car sideways BAD. It was a combo of summer tires, and poor design. Even new rear struts never changed it. Like was said though, it was less with "softer" AS tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts