Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently i bring 2013 ATS from USA to Europe and after all repair work its time to replace taillights. First problem i discovered is that my currently ones have 4-pin connector and all other I saw were 6-pin. So i found 4 pin to 6 pin adaptor. Now the problem is that when I use this adaptor the orange lights are day-lights instead of correct ones. Here is the video:
I checked all pins to check what pin is supposed to what. here is diagram:
Font Circle Number Pattern

As You can see turn signal and brake signals are on the same wire. Here is the new taillight connector:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Font

Now i start checking ATS taillight wiring, and it turns out there were 2 types (TVN and non-TVN). non-TVN ones have separate wiring for turn and brake. Im wondering how to use non-tvn (should i replace BCM? or just replace wiring?).
Also I plan to buy "somewhat official" diagnostic tool (the GDS2) and im wondering is it possible to adapt or change settings using this tool.

I have checked the forum to find some answers but i couldnt find any, but maybe i missed some.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
2,024 Posts
If I understand it correctly (good chance I don't), your current wiring and lights have four wires but the lights you purchased have 6 wire inputs, each with their own function to operate correctly. I don't see how you can turn 4 wires into 6 wires to make the new lights operate correctly, if it wants 6 inputs, each with a separate function I think you have to provide 6 individual wires, all functioning as the light expect . I also don't understand how a 4 to 6 wire adapter would work as it is taking the 3 options that are available (1 is ground), and branching them off to 5 options (1 is ground).

I don't see how replacing wiring would be an option (at some point you get to the BCM that doesn't have enough outputs). I think the only reasonable solution is to buy the correct lights for your car.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thank You for replying.
Yes - current wiring have 4 wires and i purchased one with 6 (Because in my knowledge there are no EU taillights with 4 pin connector.).
In 6 pin connector, first and last pin are grounded and 4th pin is unused. Meanwhile in 4 pin connector it seems last pin is also unused (Check voltages i measure - there is always 11,5v).
I have another idea using trailer atachment converter, similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Oyviny-Converter-European-Connector-Waterproof/dp/B08N698D5C

·
Registered
14 ATS Premium 3.6L AWD
41 Posts
It appears you're on the right track but maybe you could keep the euro lights? We put a vehicle specific version similar to the Curt 56146 on our Lexus NX and the amber turn and red brake combine nicely on the single red trailer Stop/Turn element.

But - It appears the Curt 56196 would take the combined Stop/Turn from the US spec ATS and work some kind of magic to split it to the separate Amber Turn / Red Brake elements of your Euro spec lights. From the reviews it sounds like it gets just a bit goofy with LEDs but still works.

Read the details on each; I think the 146 requires 12v power and the 196 does not but I'll let you confirm that. Either way, with the 4-6 adapter you're halfway there if you can splice into it. Good luck!

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS Coupe 3.6 Performance AWD
167 Posts
Beckett check this out, OP was looking to convert to EU tail lights, but you may be able to reverse solve it from the posts. Lots of input in this thread:

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,669 Posts
Rectangle Slope Schematic Parallel Font

Here is the schematic for the EU tail light.
Notice the tail lights have logic inside and are more than just a simple light bulb circuit.
You man need to have the BCM of the vehicle configured for the new tail lights.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 622363
Here is the schematic for the EU tail light.
Notice the tail lights have logic inside and are more than just a simple light bulb circuit.
You man need to have the BCM of the vehicle configured for the new tail lights.
Thank You all for a reply.
For now I found a company that is literally 130km from me that actually converting US cars into EU (they already did some ATS conversions) and I think tommorow I will get the answer how much that conversion will cost.

CSIMME01 About that schematic - I saw it too and noticed that aswell. Will see if that lamps gona need that additional circuit.
ThunderCad Thank You for that link, Im looking on that topic right now :)
Terrybill I was actually looking for stuff like this, for Now after I got response from that company I mentioned, propably I will buy that and try my luck:)

There is another very, I mean very stupid solution :D - to get wires from mirror indicators or front light indicators, connect them to rear turn signals and also get wires from 3rd stop light (middle ones) and bridge them to brake signals in lights. then connect that combined turn/brake signal into some resistor (to trick BCM). But thats just too stupid to do :D
Again, Im gratefull for all Your help and I will let You know how it turns out. I think next week.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thank You all for a reply.
For now I found a company that is literally 130km from me that actually converting US cars into EU (they already did some ATS conversions) and I think tommorow I will get the answer how much that conversion will cost.

CSIMME01 About that schematic - I saw it too and noticed that aswell. Will see if that lamps gona need that additional circuit.
That is not an additional circuit.
That is built into the export lamp.

·
Registered
14 ATS Premium 3.6L AWD
41 Posts
"built into the export lamp." There was a time when this was so much simpler. I'll just go out back now and hand pump some water into my clay pot (and maybe hit the outhouse while I'm there)...
Rectangle Line Font Water Parallel

·
Registered
272 Posts
My recomendation would be to run a wire from the side mirror to the turn signal lead on the new taillamps, you can try the stop signal off the CMHSL but it might not work; it did not for me. Use the turn/stop signal for the stop and the turn use the side mirrors. Otherwise you will need to reprogram BCM and nobody has figured out how to hack it yet

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Looking at the schematic above and the factory service manual here are the connections that the 6 pin connector needs..
Left rear..
A: Ground. Pin A black wire of the 4 pin.
B: Park Lamps. Pin B Violet and Gray wire of the 4 pin.connector.
C: Stop Lamps Need to add white and yellow wire from the center mounted brake light.
D: Left rear turn lamp feedback. Pin D white and violet wire of the 4 pin.conmector
E: Left Turn. Pin C blue and white wire from the 4 pin connector.

That covers the wiring and the right rear tail light is the same but the colors of B D and E will be different.
At this point it might just work. There is logic built into the lamp itself and it may figure out what it needs to do using the outputs of the BCM.
If it doesn't work correctly the next step would be to use a service tool to reprogram the BCM for the export tail lamps.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Coupe Premium
28 Posts
In order to split the US brake/turn signals, one needs this unit:

The Curt trailer splitter unit will not work. The above unit will split the signals. All other taillight pinouts remain the same (4 to 5 pins). eBay has genuine GM OEM Euro taillights for about 250.00 ea. Careful, coupe taillights will not fit the sedan.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 4WD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, time to update
I bring the car to that workshop and they fixed it for me.. Of course they didnt wanted to mention how they did this, but all I know is that in BCM (or in other module) there are some kind of "taillight test connector" where indicators have separate signals(?) So they get wires from that connector. I dont know is that true, that guy "didnt want to tell me everything" in obvious reasons... Also i get rear fog light so i think it was worth it :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
In order to split the US brake/turn signals, one needs this unit:

The Curt trailer splitter unit will not work. The above unit will split the signals. All other taillight pinouts remain the same (4 to 5 pins). eBay has genuine GM OEM Euro taillights for about 250.00 ea. Careful, coupe taillights will not fit the sedan.
Do you have the part numbers for those? Also has anyone with a US spec car successfully done a swap? Im interested in buying the parts but im not going to be a pioneer lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts