Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my Cadillac ATS this month, and noticed the exhaust tip being just absolutely black, I cleaned and polished it and it looked good as new, but this is what came off after about four days of driving. Anyone else have this issue or know anything about this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,337 Posts
Direct injection engines produce a LOT of particulate matter to the extent that there is a strong movement to require particulate traps much like those used on current diesel engines. Keep an eye on your fuel economy and oil consumption but I suspect that what you found is entirely normal. I regularly clean the exhaust tips on my ATS and Corvette Z06 using WD-40 to remove these particulates, the Corvette also gets particulate buildup on the cover around the center exhaust pipes and requires much more cleaning than the ATS.

My 2018 GMC 2500HD turbo diesel pickup has an exhaust pipe that is as clean inside now as the day I took delivery, never thought I would see the day when a diesel engine has much cleaner exhaust than a gasoline powered engine but that is where we are now. But that cleanliness comes with the addition of several hundred pounds of filter and supporting hardware along with the waste of around 1 gallon of diesel fuel per 36 gallon tank that is injected directly into the exhaust stream during regen to super heat the filter and incinerate the particulate matter and I am glad not to have to deal with that with my cars.

Rodger

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,484 Posts
Open highway or around town? Long drives or short hops?

Long drive = everything warmed up and cleaned out (including the engine oil).
Short hop = cold engine, cold oil, rich mixtures.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,484 Posts
Hmmmm ........... long warmups, particularly in your climate, really accomplish nothing but wasting fuel. And contribute to tailpipe soot - in spades.

During your highway commute have you ever attempted full throttle acceleration from about 25 to 75/80? If so, what comes out of the tailpipe?

rsingl is spot-on when he says the DI engines produce soot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts