Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this car. So today I drove the car which started normal and had no issues with all electrical, even my charging was good at 14.7V based on the car. So I parked it and shut it down. Almost immediately all power to the car was dead and didn't even notice my car didn't lock. When i got back to car to start, absolutely no power to car (like dead battery). So I tried to jumpstart battery with my other car. I hooked cables to ATS and accidentally arc'd the cables before hooking up the other end and all of a sudden, full power to car (like full powered battery) and car started like normal. Drove it home and it behaved with no issues until I got home and shut it off and then it happened again, exact same thing. Seems to be like a contact electrical issue which need the battery to be arc'd to get battery like normal. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,669 Posts
It sounds like you have a battery with a cell that has very high resistance and is effectively open. With the engine running, the alternator is able to power all systems plus keep the battery sufficiently charged to provide excitation to the alternator control winding but once shut off then the battery is useless. Check the connectors at the battery carefully and also the cables but I suspect the battery itself is the issue. With no load, your battery may appear OK but when a cell fails with high resistance, then any significant load will cause the output to drop to near zero.

Rodger

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
Pull the battery and have it checked. While you have the battery out the check and clean the connecting cables (both ends). Pay special attention to the ground cable.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS
138 Posts
Your battery is 7 years old if it is original, so a failure at this point is not unusual. Stay with the same battery, the charging system was designed with an AGM battery installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: looks like it was a loose terminal when dealer put new battery in and I guess tech just didn't tighten up well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts