Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX with 36,300 Miles, bought and serviced at dealer. They say I need a new timing chain and yes it is out of warranty. $1800.00 for repair. Called cadillac and requested they look into this, because there was a special notice sent out for years 2008-2011 with new warranty info on certain VINs on timing chain 10 years 120,000 miles. 2013-present now have a 6year 60,000 mile warranty. 2012 was left out, same motor though. Of course all they would say to include the dealer was it is out of warranty sorry. Does anyone know a better way to approach Cadillac about this problem. No offense I don't feel I should have this big of a problem so early in the engines life. Love the car but not this issue. Any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
SRX
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Car ran fine but did not pass WI emissions because of the engine light. The dealer did apply and receive a hardship request from Cadillac so my cost was $750. Good I guess for something that shouldn't fail that fast. Design flaw ?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX with 36,300 Miles, bought and serviced at dealer. They say I need a new timing chain and yes it is out of warranty. $1800.00 for repair. Called cadillac and requested they look into this, because there was a special notice sent out for years 2008-2011 with new warranty info on certain VINs on timing chain 10 years 120,000 miles. 2013-present now have a 6year 60,000 mile warranty. 2012 was left out, same motor though. Of course all they would say to include the dealer was it is out of warranty sorry. Does anyone know a better way to approach Cadillac about this problem. No offense I don't feel I should have this big of a problem so early in the engines life. Love the car but not this issue. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Do you show any symptoms of a problem? If not, just go trade it at Carmax for a 2013.

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
Had similar issue with my 2010 during warranty (~47k). Car was in the dealer for another issue, and they noticed/heard the engine "rattle". The timing chain tension idler had broken, or lost it's tension on the chain. Dealer replaced the tensioner and timing chain under warranty.

I agree, engines should not be experiencing internal engine problems with such low mileage, with proper maintenance and oil.

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD
358 Posts
Design flaw ?
I agree, engines should not be experiencing internal engine problems with such low mileage, with proper maintenance and oil.
Yes, absolutely not. And just one of the many detailed here; water leaks into the interior and the tailgate lift areas, headlight leaks, taillight LED failure, Stabiltrak rear diff, et al. and yes, GM knows about them and no they aren't going to do anything about them for most of us.

jack vines

·
Registered
SRX Performance
19 Posts
I have a 2012 with over 106,000 on it, regular oil changes from dealership, no timing chain issues. My lift gate did stop staying up in the first two years but on your list that’s the only issue really. I had to have my remote antenna replaced because it stopped working, and the rear washer fluid hose came loose, beyond that my car has been wonderful. I did had something done for a major squealing noise when I turned when it was cold. I have a feeling I will need to get my master cylinder worked on soon but that’s just age and wear and tear. Sorry you’re having problems :( I sure wish my car had such low mileage!

·
Registered
2012 SRX
2 Posts
I have a similiar issue with my 2012 SRX about one of the two the timing chains. I took the car in for it s 52,500 mile maintenance and oil change. The service department discovered a leak around the head gasket. Never really notice any oil leaks on my garage floor. Of course the vehicle is out of warranty and it is only 6 years old. The cost to replace the gasket is $1900 which I was shocked most of it is labor. Then they called and told me that one of the timing chains was loose. Although no service code came on, the service man said it may develop into an issue down the road. I had the service man send me a picture so they also sent me a video. They told me it was best that I have it repaired now while the engine was apart because it would cost another $1900 to just replace the timing chain if needed to be replaced later. It will only cost an additional $690 to replace the timing chain. I am furious. I've worked on cars for years when I was younger and never had to replace a timing chain. This seems to be a flaw on this particular model. I have a 14 year old Toyota also and never had any type of engine problems! This is my wife's car and she loves it, but I may not purchase another American car. Her previous car was a GMC Envoy we had for 13 years. It developed a problem after 6 years old where at temperatures above 90 degrees it would just cut-off with no warning. We had various things replace to try to fix the problem but it continued happening sporadically. Finally, just get rid of it when i broke down in rush hour traffic!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, the GM high-feature V6 and AWD system is riddled with inherent failures which should have never made it into production; and no, Cadillac/GM will never admit any responsibility. If your timing chain, wheel bearings and rear axle haven't failed yet, it's just a short way down the road to expensive repairs.

(And yes, all of those who bought it used, maybe that's why a supposedly high-status expensive luxury SUV seemed like such a bargain on the used market.)

jack vines

·
Registered
'12 SRX Performance (Red), '13 2.5 Base ATS (Opulent Blue)
58 Posts
I have a similiar issue with my 2012 SRX about one of the two the timing chains. I took the car in for it s 52,500 mile maintenance and oil change. The service department discovered a leak around the head gasket. Never really notice any oil leaks on my garage floor. Of course the vehicle is out of warranty and it is only 6 years old. The cost to replace the gasket is $1900 which I was shocked most of it is labor. Then they called and told me that one of the timing chains was loose. Although no service code came on, the service man said it may develop into an issue down the road. I had the service man send me a picture so they also sent me a video. They told me it was best that I have it repaired now while the engine was apart because it would cost another $1900 to just replace the timing chain if needed to be replaced later. It will only cost an additional $690 to replace the timing chain. I am furious. I've worked on cars for years when I was younger and never had to replace a timing chain. This seems to be a flaw on this particular model. I have a 14 year old Toyota also and never had any type of engine problems! This is my wife's car and she loves it, but I may not purchase another American car. Her previous car was a GMC Envoy we had for 13 years. It developed a problem after 6 years old where at temperatures above 90 degrees it would just cut-off with no warning. We had various things replace to try to fix the problem but it continued happening sporadically. Finally, just get rid of it when i broke down in rush hour traffic!
I has the same head gasket issue when I went in for a normal scheduled oil change...at 101000 on our 2012 FWD Performance....dealer quote was 1400 for me....I also had them change the plugs out while the thing was apart, transmission fluid change and two new Michelin tires put on the front....$2200 out the door...most of course was labor, but sounds like my deal was better on the head gasket change for sure......I always use my dealer for service as he is fair priced and treats the customer very well.....I have also purchased 4 cars from this same dealership....not all cadillacs

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had a CEL come on last week and it is showing P0024 related to the exhaust camshaft position system. I see there is a TSB (PIP5096C) that references this and 3 other DTC codes for camshaft position system that requires replacement of the camshaft position actuator solenoid with an updated part number. It is going to the dealer on Wednesday so I'm anxious to hear if they will only find this solenoid needing replaced or larger timing chain issues. From researching, there looks to be extended coverage on earlier 3.6L GM timing chains and the issue was supposedly resolved with the LFX motor. I called a trusted independent mechanic and was told that code almost always indicates an underlying timing chain issue. He has replaced numerous 3.6L timing chains and believes the timing chain issue is still present with the newer 3.6L's and not being acknowledged by GM.

Mine is a 2012 SRX with 74K miles. Anybody else have experience with these particular DTC codes related to camshaft position or timing chains?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
479 Posts
I just got the P0024 code on our 2012 SRX with the 3.6. There's been some comments on here about problems still with chain replacements and idler problems. But there is a TSB like you mention for known faulty solonoid operation on them. And I bought my part at Auto Zone for $50 (lifetime warranty) and had the Chevy dealer put it on (I was in a hurry to get it done) and they charged me $300). It's been fine since.

But, one thing I want to mention is that ours has had a long term issue with "hesitating" meaning on a light grade under a light throttle going up a hill I could "feel" the engine or tranny surging and slumping. Also, the average gas mileage was around 15mpg which is what it's been for years. I had originally thought it was a shuddering torque converter as that would do the same thing symptom wise. But, in this case it turned out that the Bank 1 solenoid was intermittent. There was some references online to how the screens clog in these solenoids from oil gunk and it was recommended to put a engine flush in there and clean it out and then replace the solenoid. I flushed it at home and put new oil in and ran it and the code went away! But the hesitation was still there. So I had the solenoid replaced and viola ! It runs like NEW again. Yep, that solenoid has been intermittent for years and didn't set a code till we were on a long highway drive. It probably took that amount of run time to get the computer to recognize that it couldn't adapt to the conditions and set the code. I've read of other people that this has happened to as well on a long trip somewhere. I'm guessing that those intermittent solenoids finally force the computer to set the check engine light while on long trips. But the truth is that if you have a hesitation like I mentioned you probably can benefit from a replacement and GM knew they failed hence the TSB. Too bad it ended up on my dime instead of theirs as IMO they should have to replace it for free as it's a known vendor supplier issue.

Steve

BTW.. my gas mileage is now an average of 19mpg ! That's the best it's ever been on this car. All due to a incorrectly advancing timing advancing system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steve,

That's great to hear! I hope that is my issue as well. The first time I had the CEL come on was about a month ago on the last few miles of a highway trip. What you said about intermittent operation and taking awhile for the computer to detect the timing being outside normal parameters could be true, as I just had the CEL come on again Saturday with the same P0024 code on the way back from a 120-mile each way, highway trip. After 3 additional short trips around town though, the CEL cleared as it did last month. My code reader still shows P0024 as a stored trouble code though, so I'm not sure what conditions illuminate the CEL versus just storing the trouble code or how many cycles are required before the code is cleared. Our SRX has had some hesitation and definitely a noticeably rough idle on occasion sitting at stop lights. Not sure if that would be related to the solenoid/timing or something else.

When you say you did an engine flush, would that be Seafoam or something similar? The dealer has advertised a "top engine" cleaning when I mentioned the rough idle but not sure what that entails. Also, would you mind sharing which part # you were able to find at Auto Zone?

And great to hear on the gas mileage! Our SRX (FWD) has averaged 17.8 mostly around town, which is more rural than stop and go, so I've always thought it should do better as well! My 5.7L AWD Grand Cherokee does 14.0 in the same driving conditions and often hauling a utility trailer! Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
479 Posts
I just went to Walmart and bought a engine flusher that they had. I was getting close to 50% on the oil anyway and it was about 3/4 quart or so low so I just dumped in the quart and ran it at idle for 10minutes as they recommended on the bottle. Drained it and put in new 5w-30.

The GM tsb on this is:
https://gm.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10056473-8190.pdf

The parts locator is:
https://www.autozone.com/engine-man...le-timing-solenoid/465361_0?_requestid=181690

Steve

Steve,

That's great to hear! I hope that is my issue as well. The first time I had the CEL come on was about a month ago on the last few miles of a highway trip. What you said about intermittent operation and taking awhile for the computer to detect the timing being outside normal parameters could be true, as I just had the CEL come on again Saturday with the same P0024 code on the way back from a 120-mile each way, highway trip. After 3 additional short trips around town though, the CEL cleared as it did last month. My code reader still shows P0024 as a stored trouble code though, so I'm not sure what conditions illuminate the CEL versus just storing the trouble code or how many cycles are required before the code is cleared. Our SRX has had some hesitation and definitely a noticeably rough idle on occasion sitting at stop lights. Not sure if that would be related to the solenoid/timing or something else.

When you say you did an engine flush, would that be Seafoam or something similar? The dealer has advertised a "top engine" cleaning when I mentioned the rough idle but not sure what that entails. Also, would you mind sharing which part # you were able to find at Auto Zone?

And great to hear on the gas mileage! Our SRX (FWD) has averaged 17.8 mostly around town, which is more rural than stop and go, so I've always thought it should do better as well! My 5.7L AWD Grand Cherokee does 14.0 in the same driving conditions and often hauling a utility trailer! Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Nick,

I have been experiencing pretty much the same symptoms you described on my '12 SRX. P0024 CEL on longer distance trips, code clears after a few shorter drives, rough idle at stop lights, etc. The only difference I guess is that I had a P0021 CEL that started this issue off. I noticed my engine oil was somewhat low, restored the level and the CEL went away. Did the TSB maintenance recommended correct the issue?

Rob

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
479 Posts
TSB fixed my issues with the P0024 error. I did a oil flush product (from Walmart) put new oil in it and had the local Chevy dealer (just up the street) install my own purchased VVT solenoids (from Autozone with a lifetime warranty). It has run great since then. No more rough idling/running issues. That TSB says it all IMO and GM and Cadillac knew that these things failed from a faulty manufacturer run. Cadillac Quality ? (not really you know. It's just GM)

Steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
stevem5215;1740910y6 said:
But there is a TSB like you mention for known faulty solonoid operation on them. . . Also, the average gas mileage was around 15mpg which is what it's been for ears. . . . But, in this case it turned out that the Bank 1 solenoid was intermittent. . . . Yep, that solenoid has been intermittent for years GM knew they failed hence the TSB. . . . . Steve BTW.. my gas mileage is now an average of 19mpg! . . . That's the best it's ever been on this car.. . . All due to a incorrectly advancing timing advancing system.
Very interesting, Steve and thanks for sharing. The wife's 2011 3.0 XWD with 52,000 miles has run relatively well, never set a code or had a CEL, but always got that inexplicably low 15 MPG in town, 19 on the highway. Suddenly, the in-town improved to 18 and the highway to 22.8. Is it possible the solenoid just unstuck itself or wore into more clearance?

FWIW, in another thread, I described installing the new Michelin GreenX low rolling resistance tires and how the fuel economy improved 15% on a 1500 mile round trip. At the time, I mentioned I couldn't believe the tires were responsible for that much improvement. Now, I'm thinking the solenoid you describe is in the mix as well; the in-town mileage had improved before the tires.

Thinking back on this latest trip, it now has more low end power. Before, on cruise, it would have to drop out of converter lockup and/or downshift one or two gears to pull certain hills that now it could pull in sixth locked up. It was a more relaxed feel.

Bottom line, the first 50,000 miles, it must have been stuck with the one or more of the cams in high-RPM mode. I'll have to do some more research on exactly what and how those solenoids function.

jack vines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to provide an update on my 2012 with the P0024 which has come on now 3 separate times, only during a long highway trip (1+ hour driving). The last 2 times it didn't come on until the way back home, which seems strange but could just mean that the code was "pending" on the way out and then became active on the return trip with a new key cycle.

Anyway, I just had it in to a Chevy dealer yesterday for an official diagnosis. The tech saw an additional P0014 code which does not show up when I hook up my code reader, but is for the other bank's exhaust solenoid. The tech's recommendation was to replace all 4 solenoids since the labor is $550 to change 1, so mine as well replace them all while he has access. The parts are ~$75 at the dealer. The tech said the code is triggered due to a tolerance issue and is not correlated to a timing chain issue but when I asked if he thinks I'll have timing chain problems he said you probably will eventually, but not because of this. They didn't have time to replace the solenoids yesterday so I'm debating whether to schedule an appt to replace them or just live with it if it's not causing any harm. The significant increase in performance that Steve described is intriguing though considered these codes are only set under a specific condition after a lengthy period of driving.

Interestingly, he also noticed an oil leak developing at the front engine cover which someone else with this code and/or timing issues described.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
479 Posts
Mine has the front cover oil "weepage" leak. Nothing dripping on the floor but I can see that weeping oil out of the front cover and actually have since it was under warranty even. (I change my own oil so I look it over with a fine tooth comb regularly underneath it since I jack one side up to gain better oil pan access). As for the mpg. It's maintained the 19 average and since the OnStar app on my phone can tell you the Fuel Efficiency Lifetime at 18.8 and Trip A (2,049mi) is 19.6. So yep, it's gotten better just because of the sensor (it's been around 2k miles now since it was replaced along with the oil cause I reset the Trip A when I do my oil changes). Lifetime odo reads 65k right now which IMO is the sweet spot of car usage where you experience the least factory designed in problems (they've been repaired under warranty till the 50k mark usually) and the best reliability is now till around 75-90k miles when something just wears out and breaks and causes you to spend some serious $$ to fix. (at least that's been my experience in the past with all my cars)

As for the $550 labor. That sounds steep. And it sounds like you are being taken for a ride from there. I only paid $300 labor at my local Bakerstown - Tom Henry Chevy dealership to do this work. This needs a engine support jack underneath due to having to remove the front engine bracket to remove those sensors. It's not a small easy job like some of the other Chevy products that used them (and had them fail too btw).

And yes, the timing chain issue is still in the 12's but for some reason became a lesser problem. The 13 they appeared to have it resolved but I'm sure there's a few that fail there too. And there is no warranty extended for us 12 owners. GM Quality ! (Like I say always.... you spend your money and you take your chances.... like rolling dice at a Casino) lol

Steve

·
Registered
2001 sedan deville
5 Posts
Got the same code POO14 and code POO24 on my 2015 SRX after 100 mile + trips. It has 60,000 miles on it. Anyone know where the Variable Valve timing oil valves are located on the 3.6l engine?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts