Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with the 2012 SRX I have. It's been an ongoing problem for about the last 6 months and I've taken it to the dealer two times now. It's a combination of rough idle and also problems starting. Unfortunately there are no codes being thrown, which would have probably made diagnosing the issue much easier. The rough idle presents when the car is at a full stop, like at a stop light. You can see some deviation there in the tach when it starts idling rough, but it hasn't gotten to the point where it feels like it is going to stall. The other problem I have is when I start the car it will intermittently sometimes take a long time to actually fire up. This isn't a minor annoyance, there was a six year old kid looking quizzically at the car the last time it happened. So this is a very apparent issue. I did some searching on the forums already and I haven't really seen anything that matches the conditions fully. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do? I have it on video, so at least I have something to show to the dealership.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

-Steve

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,726 Posts
Cam Position Sensor / Timing Chain.... With no codes, that would be a guess...

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine suggested that it may in fact be an EGR valve that is sticking. This seems to be a reasonable premise. If it was the cam position sensor or the timing chain, that would be consistent behavior (more or less) correct? What I am experiencing is perhaps 1 out of every 20-30 startups are affected, and I notice the rough idle perhaps 5-10% of the time while at a full stop. The dealership did notice that there was a lot of carbon built up on the injectors so they did thoroughly clean that, but if there was carbon there perhaps there is a large deposit on the EGR valve that may be causing a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Good point... But on my 2010, the problem was not consistent. I did have a check engine light that said a problem with the emission system. The dealer reset the light and sent me on my way. Within a few weeks the problem started getting worse, light came back on. They replaced the Timing Chain, smooth as silk after that. It can me more difficult for sure with no codes, but sometimes with codes its no better. There are just so many sensors on the cars today that it can be a few tries before its found. The 2010 3.0 does have a shake to it when in park, if I look at the rear tire, you could actually see the tire vibrate while idling.

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I have had the car for about 6 months now with now light and no codes (ran Torque on it using my Bluetooth ODB2 reader). So perhaps this is different, but as you said, it can be really hard to tell. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Go straight back to the dealer, they will know the most and start the process of elimination. Still under B2B hopefully?

12,776 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with the 2012 SRX I have. It's been an ongoing problem for about the last 6 months and I've taken it to the dealer two times now. It's a combination of rough idle and also problems starting. Unfortunately there are no codes being thrown, which would have probably made diagnosing the issue much easier. The rough idle presents when the car is at a full stop, like at a stop light. You can see some deviation there in the tach when it starts idling rough, but it hasn't gotten to the point where it feels like it is going to stall. The other problem I have is when I start the car it will intermittently sometimes take a long time to actually fire up. This isn't a minor annoyance, there was a six year old kid looking quizzically at the car the last time it happened. So this is a very apparent issue. I did some searching on the forums already and I haven't really seen anything that matches the conditions fully. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do? I have it on video, so at least I have something to show to the dealership.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

-Steve
Hello talonisx,

We sincerely apologize that you’re experiencing concerns with your SRX and can understand how frustrating it can be to pinpoint the exact cause when your experience is intermittent. We see that you plan to continue working with the dealership for diagnosis, but we would like to offer an extra layer of assistance. If this is something of interest to you, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and involved dealership and we would be happy to look into this further.

Kind Regards,

Samantha N
Cadillac Customer Care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts