Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem. My wife’s Escalade ride is very stiff. It will jar your teeth out. It throws no codes. I’m not much of a mechanic but I’m hoping someone on here could help. I have a theory that the rear suspension is airing up, but then never releasing air. Is this possible? Is there a relief valve for the rear suspension?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If the MRC front shocks are damaged or need replacing, it'll ride like a lumber-wagon.

I think you're more likely to feel it if the front shocks are bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it looked at and was told that the rear suspension needed recalibrated. Once that was done it rode fine. It only lasted until the next day. Then it went right back to riding rough. It does have 111000 miles on it, so the front struts could also need replacing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine was rough and I replaced stabilizer bar link ends that had dry rotted and also when o got new tires it also helped. I made a video of changing the bar link ends. Very cheap to do.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had it looked at and was told that the rear suspension needed recalibrated. Once that was done it rode fine. It only lasted until the next day. Then it went right back to riding rough. It does have 111000 miles on it, so the front struts could also need replacing.
Front struts seizing up/replacement is by far the most common fix for these Escalades with an extremely stiff ride.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If they've never been replaced I'd say it's due.

Mine were replaced when I bought it with 72k on the clock.

I've never heard of a shock calibration.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Here is the problem. My wife’s Escalade ride is very stiff. It will jar your teeth out. It throws no codes. I’m not much of a mechanic but I’m hoping someone on here could help. I have a theory that the rear suspension is airing up, but then never releasing air. Is this possible? Is there a relief valve for the rear suspension?
The shocks definitely need replacing if it rides hard like a buckboard wagon. I had to replace mine at about 40k miles. It sits a lot so that may have attributed to the early failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The shocks definitely need replacing if it rides hard like a buckboard wagon. I had to replace mine at about 40k miles. It sits a lot so that may have attributed to the early failure.
Did you replace them with the one or aftermarket? I have to do mine and was looking at different options...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for the info. I took it to another shop and they said front struts are shot. Also the rear driver side shock has fluid coming out of it. I’m going to replace them all. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
how did they recalibrate them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They had a handheld device. Think it was called a tech 2. Before they calibrated them I had to have a full tank of gas. The passenger side of vehicle was probably a inch and half or more higher than the driver side. Once they recalibrated (May not be the correct term) the shocks the vehicle was level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve priced the shocks and struts. Cheapest I could find was on amazon. They were the ac Delco. Total cost around $1000. Does that seem reasonable? Is the ACDelco worth the extra money?

·
Registered
411 Posts
That sounds about right. Doing it at the stealership will be double that.

The only other option would be to remove the Magnaride system and bypass the computer. It would be cheaper but ride quality would suffer somewhat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m going to order them soon as I get off work. Once I get them installed I’ll be sure to let y’all know if the ride has improved. And you are correct the dealer ship wanted $526 per shock and $516 per strut. When I asked them for the part number they said,”we don’t give out part numbers over the phone.” I won’t spend another dime at that dealership. Thanks again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you look it up on Amazon you'll be fine.

I had purchased two AC Delcos from Amazon for the rears and replaced them for $200 ea. 6 months later one blew out on a trip and Amazon was out of stock so I had to go to the stealership. They told me that theirs was better and a different part number so I had them replace one (@ $500). It's identical to the other one.

I don't buy the BS that it's better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts