Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2012 cadillac cts4 performance 3.6l
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and hope I can get help. I like the car other than when it has issues.

I am having an issue with my 2012 cts4 awd with the 3.6l di motor.

When I first got the car it had sat for awhile and displayed some of the same symptoms. A new battery fixed it for a while.

When the car won't start the gear selector isn't displayed. I also get dic messages traction control disabled, abs disabled. I can't communicate with the tcm either with my scan tool.

Cleaning grounds, reseting the ecm, charging the battery has helped in the past for a while. Let the car sit for about 4 days recently and it happened again. Battery charge was about 75%. A couple of times it started it had bank 2 sensor 1 and 2 h2os faults. Couple start cycles cleared them up. The last two times its happened I have left the key on engine off and eventually it communicates and can start.

I am at a loss what is going on.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Sunroof?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its the performance edition with the sunroof. Operates fine.

Registered
Leaks?

Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
Have you checked your battery voltage yet? Should be around 12.6 just sitting there and approximately 14.5 when running. Some Vehicles when they get a new battery have to be told that they have a new battery otherwise they can overcharge them and cause problems. I do not know if yours has to be told or not you would have to research that on your own. There is also a battery current sensor that sometimes goes out and you might check that also. Here is a link to a replacement:

Roy

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The battery voltage when it happens seems to be be less than 12.5v down to 12.2v. I don't believe I have ever seen it below 12v. I have also had it start when it was 12.2v when first putting it into the accessory position. When driving it varies from 14.5 to 12.5v. It has never had an issue once the car was started tho.

I checked the owners manual there is a procedure for the electronic throttle control from a dead battery. Three minutes with the key on engine off then start for 30 seconds. I'm not sure if thats why I could get it to start the last two times it happened.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing I have noticed when it wont start the ecm/odd fuse only reads only about 6v. If I remember correctly I had checked fuses 69 through 74 and they were all around the same voltage.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
I would check all your battery connections and grounds. You may have a bad connection.

what kind of repairs has been done to the car in the past 2 years?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I have checked the grounds on both sides of the motor the passenger wheel well and the drivers side radiator frame. The head grounds were suspect being aluminum heads. They were cleaned up and used an anti-oxidant. Battery cables were checked. I might have missed something ill have to check them over again.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
Have you had the battery tested, not with just a voltmeter but with a "battery tester" that will diagnose problems inside the battery?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I found it it was the ground wires I originally cleaned up on the front passenger ground on the head for the ecm. There is wires crimped on a ring terminal. Lots of corrosion between the wires and terminal.

Registered
I found it it was the ground wires I originally cleaned up on the front passenger ground on the head for the ecm. There is wires crimped on a ring terminal. Lots of corrosion between the wires and terminal.
Good catch on the double check.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I don't like to remove factory sealed heat shrink connections. I'm sure glad I did on that one. Five wires crimped on one terminal. The wire insulation was the only thing crimped on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts