Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out at the Mall today in the Ford, I said to my wife, "Dang! I'm glad we don't have the Cadillac over these speed bumps!"

Remember the good old days when you got a "Chassis Lubrication" with each oil change?

There's got to be something we can do to lubricate it when the front end starts squeaking, before it needs major repair?

It's gotta be something simple, but if you let it go you're sunk!

What about it Guys... and Gals???

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,937 Posts
I believe today's lube less ball joints are actually better in terms of longevity and that's the trade off. The squeak is a cry for part replacement. As annoying as it can be, I've seen someone drop a tie rod end from the steering knuckle at about 50 mph, it wasn't pretty. I could see the driver come up out of the seat and hug the steering wheel as the loose front wheel flapped back and forth as if it was about to be ripped off the car.

Ford products are really good about making front end noise when a ball joint is running out of time (sounds like a loud squeaky couch) and of all the cars I've seen stuck because of a disjointed lower control arm, I believe they were all Fords except for one Dodge P/U last year.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
1,908 Posts
sometimes it's just bushings that have gone bad but many cars have you replace much more than just a rubber bushing when that service is required...

Bill

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,521 Posts
My caddy hates the cold mornings! Squeaky, crunch is what i hear for the first 100 ft or so over this rough road i have to travel going to work. Once she warms up a little, all is well.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,937 Posts
My caddy hates the cold mornings! Squeaky, crunch is what i hear for the first 100 ft or so over this rough road i have to travel going to work. Once she warms up a little, all is well.
I get this to, every Winter on the particularly cold days. The bushing squeak is a different sound from the ball joint squeak mentioned above which doesn't go away with changes in weather.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,696 Posts
What's your mileage? You probably have bad front bushings on your lower control arms. That means new arms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AZ Wagon is only 44k miles you know thats why i think it cant be wore out just needs a drop of lube in the right place. OK 8 years old, but it sits 6 months a year only driven one trip of 200 miles once a month from june to october, otherwise sitting garaged....in the dry AZ heat.
I got a mental picture of a black cylindrical hard rubber bushing sliding up and down a bit on a dry chrome shaft and making a little squeak, or when its compressed, you know, its a wankin' Cadillac! ....The best station wagon ever produced in this country. And dont have a scratch on it!

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,937 Posts
AZ Wagon is only 44k miles you know thats why i think it cant be wore out just needs a drop of lube in the right place. OK 8 years old, but it sits 6 months a year only driven one trip of 200 miles once a month from june to october, otherwise sitting garaged....in the dry AZ heat.
I got a mental picture of a black cylindrical hard rubber bushing sliding up and down a bit on a dry chrome shaft and making a little squeak, or when its compressed, you know, its a wankin' Cadillac! ....The best station wagon ever produced in this country. And dont have a scratch on it!
That's part of the problem, it's hardly driven. Rubber doesn't care about your driving habits, like tires, it's going to dry rot and that process seems to accelerate somehow the less use involved. Get some silicone spray and go crazy on the bushings. Me, I'm going to wait until it warms up, I don't feel like doing anything under the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK well whenever I take it to Cadillac as soon as you pull in they want to hook some doo-dads to the outsides of your wheels and try to sell you a $300 wheel allignment that you dont need, so I took it to GMC in Casa Grande, which is the only Cadillac service place there. So like somebody said its a dryness issue with a cheap / chintzy rubber bushing (probably made in mexico) sliding on a chrome shaft in the new and improved non-lubricateable front end. No way it can be wore out at 44k miles, so maybe it'll quiet down when it GETS a little worn-in. This is the kind of doinger problem that has made American cars sub-standard to Toyotas and Hundays. American engineering and craftsmanship is doomed due to their planned obsolesence in order to sell you a new vehicle every six years. Buick and Ford are buckling under and dropping sedan cars except Mustang in favor of high profile low mileage SUV's because they cant produce quality vehicles as well as foreign makers. Damn the luck! My next car will be a '63 Falcon!

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
1,908 Posts
I'm sure it has nothing to do with sitting for 6 months unused or the Arizona heat...but I feel your frustration...good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
OK well whenever I take it to Cadillac as soon as you pull in they want to hook some doo-dads to the outsides of your wheels and try to sell you a $300 wheel allignment that you dont need, so I took it to GMC in Casa Grande, which is the only Cadillac service place there. So like somebody said its a dryness issue with a cheap / chintzy rubber bushing (probably made in mexico) sliding on a chrome shaft in the new and improved non-lubricateable front end. No way it can be wore out at 44k miles, so maybe it'll quiet down when it GETS a little worn-in. This is the kind of doinger problem that has made American cars sub-standard to Toyotas and Hundays. American engineering and craftsmanship is doomed due to their planned obsolesence in order to sell you a new vehicle every six years. Buick and Ford are buckling under and dropping sedan cars except Mustang in favor of high profile low mileage SUV's because they cant produce quality vehicles as well as foreign makers. Damn the luck! My next car will be a '63 Falcon!
💲💲💲 rules in America. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
7,741 Posts
The OP is venting. Ten days ago he praised the CTS wagon in a similar thread.

ALL automakers are trending towards building SUV's and crossovers while limiting their sedan offerings because that's what the majority of buyers want.
See also: Supply & Demand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I FIXED THE CTS FRONT END SQUEAK (for the moment, hopefully for good)

At the top middle of the strut housing is an adjustment and lock nut. The guys at GMC gave me two picture print-outs of the possible squeak source they found with the vehicle elevated and moving the tire up and down with a jack, that cost me $160 for the diagnosis.

One was a bushing that could not possibly be bad at 44k with my wife's driving manners.

The Other was on the strut shaft. So I took it around the circle and listened to the squeak in the two dips at 15 mph.

I brought it back and marked the 5mm (allen) adjustment screw with white-out for a reference point.

I loosened the lock nuts with a 15mm socket counter-clockwise one full turn, and while holding the adjustment screw in place tightened the lock-nut back down (removing about two or three threads).

I took it out around the same circle and the squeak was miraculously about 90% gone.

So I did it again. At the point where I had opened the strut travel by only 1 1/2 turns.

I took it out on the one mile circle and the squeak was gone! It was gone at 20 MPH as well.

I took it out this morning, cold, and no squeak!

So I suspect that the squeak you'all hear is because your strut either has too little or too much adjustment for free travel.

Too simple??? Give it a try. You have about one half inch to play with. It worked for me by deleting four out of 10 or 11 threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I FIXED THE CTS FRONT END SQUEAK (for the moment, hopefully for good)

At the top middle of the strut housing is an adjustment and lock nut. The guys at GMC gave me two picture print-outs of the possible squeak source they found with the vehicle elevated and moving the tire up and down with a jack, that cost me $160 for the diagnosis.

One was a bushing that could not possibly be bad at 44k with my wife's driving manners.

The Other was on the strut shaft. So I took it around the circle and listened to the squeak in the two dips at 15 mph.

I brought it back and marked the 5mm (allen) adjustment screw with white-out for a reference point.

I loosened the lock nuts with a 15mm socket counter-clockwise one full turn, and while holding the adjustment screw in place tightened the lock-nut back down (removing about two or three threads).

I took it out around the same circle and the squeak was miraculously about 90% gone.

So I did it again. At the point where I had opened the strut travel by only 1 1/2 turns.

I took it out on the one mile circle and the squeak was gone! It was gone at 20 MPH as well.

I took it out this morning, cold, and no squeak!

So I suspect that the squeak you'all hear is because your strut either has too little or too much adjustment for free travel.

Too simple??? Give it a try. You have about one half inch to play with. It worked for me by deleting four out of 10 or 11 threads. Good luck!
Thx for keeping us up to speed!!! We were going off on a tangent! lol (y)

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
7,741 Posts
Hopefully we're done denouncing the nameplate now.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
743 Posts
Usually adjustments on suspension are for alignment, never heard of a squeak adjustment. Not clear from your description what was "adjusted".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts