Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since I've had my car, it's always felt pretty weird. Whenever I hit the gas, it torques under power diagonal north east. It feels VERY loose on the higway. I've since added a lowering kit, and got it property aligned. Both my mechanic and my alignment shop feels nothing loose.

But when I take them on the highway, they can feel it. Driving normal you'd never notice, but when I am in 3rd or so gear at low RPMs and hit it, the whole car will sway from the rear and head north east.

My mechanic recommends whiteline tow link polyurethane bushings and performance sway bar links, front and rear. Any other suggestions? It's driving me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
If you're heading south on I-77, and you stomp on the gas, the car turns around and heads northeast? :eek: :p

Define "properly aligned". What are the actual alignment specs on the print-out from the alignment rack?

My mechanic recommends whiteline tow link polyurethane bushings and performance sway bar links, front and rear. Any other suggestions? It's driving me nuts.
That strikes me as band-aids and not an actual fix.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
The V will definitely head a different direction if you stomp it, but it should never feel "unusual" or "loose". It sounds like you have a serious problem, and those suggesting "bushings" are ignorant or stupid...

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Is this with all the nannies on, or off? I'd be concerned if this is happening with nannies on. When I get on it in third gear (incidentally, on I-77, LOL), the car squats rearward and goes lit a bat out of hell, like it's supposed to. Even with nannies off, which is rare for me, I have no issues if I'm going in a straight line.

Check tire pressure, i.e., is this bump-shifting? Otherwise does sound like another suspension issue to me, one not addressed before you had your lowering springs installed.

I'd say "it's dealer time" but with a modified suspension, they'd quickly void at least that part of your warranty and then charge you as a further insult. :)

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
Hi all,

Since I've had my car, it's always felt pretty weird. Whenever I hit the gas, it torques under power diagonal north east. It feels VERY loose on the higway. I've since added a lowering kit, and got it property aligned. Both my mechanic and my alignment shop feels nothing loose.

But when I take them on the highway, they can feel it. Driving normal you'd never notice, but when I am in 3rd or so gear at low RPMs and hit it, the whole car will sway from the rear and head north east.

Shocks or control thereof?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The OP hasn't responded since his first post, but if you (OP) check back in, have the toe for the rear wheels checked. That would cause to car to move in a diagonal direction when accelerating.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're heading south on I-77, and you stomp on the gas, the car turns around and heads northeast? :eek: :p

Define "properly aligned". What are the actual alignment specs on the print-out from the alignment rack?

Righto. I have the alignment sheet at home. I will scan it as soon as I get home. I also think these things are band aids that will not work.

Did you also check the alignment of the rear wheels?
I did. They did a 4 wheel alignment. Ill scan the sheet as soon as I get home.

The V will definitely head a different direction if you stomp it, but it should never feel "unusual" or "loose". It sounds like you have a serious problem, and those suggesting "bushings" are ignorant or stupid...
Agreed.

Is this with all the nannies on, or off? I'd be concerned if this is happening with nannies on. When I get on it in third gear (incidentally, on I-77, LOL), the car squats rearward and goes lit a bat out of hell, like it's supposed to. Even with nannies off, which is rare for me, I have no issues if I'm going in a straight line.

Check tire pressure, i.e., is this bump-shifting? Otherwise does sound like another suspension issue to me, one not addressed before you had your lowering springs installed.

I'd say "it's dealer time" but with a modified suspension, they'd quickly void at least that part of your warranty and then charge you as a further insult. :)
This is with all the nannies ON. And I'm not talking about breaking the rear loose under power. If I am in 3rd at 3k rpms and give it steady power NOT to break the rear loose, it almost loses control its so sway-ey.
Tire pressure is all 30 psi. My warrant is already mad voided, so if I took it to a dealer it'd be out of pocket. I work at a high performance shop, but we dont even know where to start which is was I was seeing if the forum had any ideas.

Shocks or control thereof?
No comprendo.

The OP hasn't responded since his first post, but if you (OP) check back in, have the toe for the rear wheels checked. That would cause to car to move in a diagonal direction when accelerating.
I will post the toe specs as soon as I get home. I do recall one being pretty far out now that you say it.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
I had a similar issue. Took it in several times. Alignment, shocks, went throught the whole suspension and just could not solve the issue. Finally i changed out the rear tires which were a set of Michelin Super Sports. That solved it. I will never buy them again. I tried to spread the word on this forum but people still buy them and swear by them. Not me. They suck.

----------

I dont know what happened to the tire or if it was just a one off manufacturer defect. But it was super weird.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar issue. Took it in several times. Alignment, shocks, went throught the whole suspension and just could not solve the issue. Finally i changed out the rear tires which were a set of Michelin Super Sports. That solved it. I will never buy them again. I tried to spread the word on this forum but people still buy them and swear by them. Not me. They suck.

----------

I dont know what happened to the tire or if it was just a one off manufacturer defect. But it was super weird.
What were the characteristics of your issues?

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Did you also check the alignment of the rear wheels?
Here is the alignment sheet. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
What were the characteristics of your issues?
Car seemed very loose. It seemed as though the car was breaking loose at the drop of a hat. Didnt matter the speed. Low power from a stop and highway speeds. The car seemed to twist as power was applied. Couldnt figure it out. I went through all kinds of suggestions. I was also told that a thicker sway bar would help. I was even told the aftermarket Diablo monitor i was using (just to monitor... not to tune. I use a custom HP tune.) was giving feedback through the computer and confusing the magnetic ride control. BS... Eventually it got worse... the car would twist so much that the compensation became a back and forth ordeal. ...and turned into what felt like the body of the car wobbling side to side while under hard acceleration. I thought i was going to get rid of the car. I was so happy to find out it was just a pair of shitty Michelin Super Sport tires on the rear. I use 305 35 Nitto NT05 now. And the issue has never returned. I have better dry traction also as a bonus

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car seemed very loose. It seemed as though the car was breaking loose at the drop of a hat. Didnt matter the speed. Low power from a stop and highway speeds. The car seemed to twist as power was applied. Couldnt figure it out. I went through all kinds of suggestions. I was also told that a thicker sway bar would help. I was even told the aftermarket Diablo monitor i was using (just to monitor... not to tune. I use a custom HP tune.) was giving feedback through the computer and confusing the magnetic ride control. BS... Eventually it got worse... the car would twist so much that the compensation became a back and forth ordeal. ...and turned into what felt like the body of the car wobbling side to side while under hard acceleration. I thought i was going to get rid of the car. I was so happy to find out it was just a pair of shitty Michelin Super Sport tires on the rear. I use 305 35 Nitto NT05 now. And the issue has never returned. I have better dry traction also as a bonus
Thanks. Maybe ill try that. are you on factory wheels?

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
Not sure then. I had 305 30 Michelin Super Sports at the time. But it maybe the tires. If they are even half gone it may be worth a try

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
Righto. I have the alignment sheet at home. I will scan it as soon as I get home. I also think these things are band aids that will not work.

I did. They did a 4 wheel alignment. Ill scan the sheet as soon as I get home.

Agreed.

This is with all the nannies ON. And I'm not talking about breaking the rear loose under power. If I am in 3rd at 3k rpms and give it steady power NOT to break the rear loose, it almost loses control its so sway-ey.
Tire pressure is all 30 psi. My warrant is already mad voided, so if I took it to a dealer it'd be out of pocket. I work at a high performance shop, but we dont even know where to start which is was I was seeing if the forum had any ideas.

No comprendo.

I will post the toe specs as soon as I get home. I do recall one being pretty far out now that you say it.
When I suggested shocks or control thereof, I was wondering if one corner was diving or lifting more because the shock absorber was not working correctly.

I expect that if one rear corner dove down under acceleration, for instance, the car would feel as if it lurched to the side. I mentioned control because I further expect that the digital control system, for those shocks, could cause something similar.

The rate at which a spring actually compresses, under increasing load, will certainly increase with less damping(shock function).

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2015 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Crystal White Polished Wheels Sunroof
146 Posts
Could it have anything to do with different brand of tires and tread patterns from front to rear??? I remember reading something like that awhile ago to not use different tread pattern tires from front to rear but maybe Iam just wrong.

I cant believe you waited this long to address what sound like a serious problem. You spent a bunch of time and money to customize your car, I know that would have been the last thing I would have done before I fixed that handling problem. Hope you find out the problem soon.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
Could it have anything to do with different brand of tires and tread patterns from front to rear??? I remember reading something like that awhile ago to not use different tread pattern tires from front to rear but maybe Iam just wrong.

I cant believe you waited this long to address what sound like a serious problem. You spent a bunch of time and money to customize your car, I know that would have been the last thing I would have done before I fixed that handling problem. Hope you find out the problem soon.
Its no tread pattern

1 - 20 of 26 Posts