Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'12 CTS 3.0 Sport Sedan, Diamond White
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have a 2012 CTS 3.0 with 60,000 kms on the clock. Lately I have been noticing a considerable amount of steering wheel vibration whilst braking at high speeds, roughly around 90kms/hr.

I have the factory Michelin Pilot Sport 18" tyres and as per my last tyre health check, the set is doing fine. Wondering if a wheel balancing might fix this.

Don't know if this makes a difference but my rims have kissed a curb here and there a couple of times, will be bringing the car in a for a rim repair soon as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Remmyman

I can start with this. Will visit the local dealership this weekend.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
Ditto what remmyman said, I replaced my rotors and pads at 50,000 miles on mine. I put new slotted and dimpled rotors and semi metallic pads on, lot's of brake dust with the semi metallic pads though.

The slotted and dimpled rotors make some noise when braking but the stopping power is unreal.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Thank you Remmyman

I can start with this. Will visit the local dealership this weekend.
If it's a brake job you need don't let the dealership do it. Go to an independent mechanic. No franchises either. You will pay at least double.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i took my car to the dealer today (since its under warranty), the diagnosis was the brake pads are worn off (<20% life left in them). They did not recommend resurfacing the rotors without doing the brake job first, they say it won't help.

The conundrum is if I do not replace the brake pads, they are going to charge me $100 for a check and if I do, the entire brake job totals around $300.

I am going to speak to GM locally here, you cannot push a customer into a corner like this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
They only plan on resurfacing the rotors and replacing the pads but are still going to charge you 300.00. I'm sure you're only speaking of the fronts. Typical dealer rip off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is right. Just the fronts :S

The brake pads itself cost $180 here in Dubai (yes, we overpay for everything). Guess I'll just haggle and haggle with the dealer till i get a decent enough quote. I am a salesman by profession after all :)

----------

That is right. Just the fronts :S

The brake pads itself cost $180 here in Dubai (yes, we overpay for everything). Guess I'll just haggle and haggle with the dealer till i get a decent enough quote. I am a salesman by profession after all :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I never looked to see what country you were in. I just assumed it was the U.S. So I can't compare cost although $180 USD for a set of pads seems crazy. My advice to stay away from dealerships unless absolutely necessary still goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once again, thanks a lot Remmyman.

You have a good weekend.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,598 Posts
My advise; it's under warranty right?! ask yourself, how much does your life or a love one cost? Yea, a little extreme, but i'm trying to make a point. You need brakes. Buy the parts yourself and have the dealer put them on. I take my other cars (my caddy still under warranty) to a franchise for yrs, they do excellent work.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
They are right, you have to replace pads together with rotor resurfacing. I tried once to do only resurfacing and I it was a waste of time and money. I was wondering why pads are more expensive than 2 rotors in CTS... I always had to pay much more for rotors in other cars...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up my car from the dealership yesterday after the brake pad replacement and rotor resurfacing, no more vibrations. Now wise to the fact that the next time this occurs, I'll go get my own parts and find a decent place to change the pads on the car for me.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,598 Posts
I get your point wcthunder

:yup: and I get you, sometimes money not available. There was a time for me when I could only afford to pay my neighborhood mechanic (he could build an engine with his eyes' closed!) $20 and a 6-pk! Mind you, this was the early 80's, the time before cars became computerized!!!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Yeah, now it's $20 and a case! :shiner:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sort of a catch 22 situation isn't it? Back then cars were so much simpler and built to last whereas nowadays, cars being computerized and all are easy to diagnose and pinpointing a flaw is close to accurate.....makes me wonder, what part of the equation am I missing? :/

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
saif, you might want to read up on proper lug nut torque. I've had issues in the past when I didn't ensure the lug nuts were properly torqued when my cars were serviced. Now I ensure anyone working on my car uses a torque wrench when removing any wheel. I've had success in eliminating this issue on my cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks HurstGN! Will pay attention to that here on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts