Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have read at Cadillac Magazine, the SRX has lost its 2.8 liter turbo V6. However, it's likely being replaced with the 3.6 liter found in the CTS. What's interesting is the code for this engine (LFX) is different than the one in the current CTS (LLT) which may be capable of 325-330 horsepower with it's Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection, Dual Overhead Cams, Variable Valve Timing, E85 capability and the right exhaust combination.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not everybody wants a 550 horsepower high performance sedan. The CTS does need something inbetween - and hopefully we'll be getting just that with the 3.0 twin turbo engine GM has been working on.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 4
348 Posts
Is this not an "accounting" trick of sorts? I read somewhere on the camaro forums I think they were boosting the numbers because of the HP of the new Ford V6 in the mustang. The numbers we have for the 304 HP are for 87 octane, are they running 91 and maybe a small tune for that octane to get those numbers? E85, really, this proves the government still has there mitts in the company.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,540 Posts
330 HP form 3.6l engine is not that spectacular. Others do it with ease. However they do use premium gas.

What I would like to see in the CTS is a hybrid drivetrain similar to what Infiniti M35H will have. In that case I would be happy with the 3.0l engine as long as there is 70HP motor! Imagine the economy boost without sacrificing performance. The gas prices are on the rise. It will not be long when they hit $4/gallon and more. And this will mean good bye tracks and SUV's with big engines. GM needs to be prepared for that event. Volt won't do it.

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nissan certainly IS on the ball with their V6. It's amazing how much power they make in the 370z. And a 485 horsepower 3.8!

As someone who doesn't own shares of GM, I can't say I'm excited. As a car enthusiast I've watched Nissan kick everyone's behind on V6 power. This just feels like catchup.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,540 Posts
Re: Another note on same topic ...

Just saw this note on the same topic, but relating to the 2012 Camaro. I agree that a bit more "ooomph" would be nice, but can it be done using regular gas? :confused:
Yes, it can. Hybrid drive-train would do it. Keep the 3.0l DI engine and add 70HP electric motor. I know you will not gain much, if at all at high speeds but there would be an advantage during fast accelerations from stops. Remember electric motors have 100% torque available at zero speed! Set up like this would give you better fuel economy as well. I know for purists it is not a solution but we all have to realize we have limited resources and have to manage them right.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
583 Posts
My '08 CTS lease was up recently and kicked around the SRX but even my conservative driving wife told me the SRX had no power and wouldn't want one for that reason. I told my local dealer that if the 3.6DI was available in the SRX (without awd) I would seriously consider it. I ended up with a new CTS Coupe and the taller rear end gearing makes it feel quicker than my CTS Sedan. The difference in seat-of-the pants feel is pretty close to the difference between my 3.6L '05 CTS and my 3.6L DI '08 CTS and that was 40+ HP.

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
I wish Caddy would offer the LS2/3 engine as a middle ground between the V6 CTS and the V model. That is a large HP gap that begs for a 425 hp/or so CTS SS model. Would buy one tomorrow if they offered it in the coupe!

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
Is this not an "accounting" trick of sorts? I read somewhere on the camaro forums I think they were boosting the numbers because of the HP of the new Ford V6 in the mustang. The numbers we have for the 304 HP are for 87 octane, are they running 91 and maybe a small tune for that octane to get those numbers? E85, really, this proves the government still has there mitts in the company.
No, the Camaro originally was listed with the same 304HP rating as the CTS. GM now rates it as something like 312HP. They claim that the Camaro's configuration always was producing 312HP, but they hadn't done the independent testing to verify it. They just used the known valve from the CTS. However, you can be sure the desire to investigate came from pressure from the Mustang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.