Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2011 CTS4 Performance 3.6 Coupe
21 Posts
I have a 2011 CTS4 AWD COUPE with 112,000 miles. It’s in beautiful condition except for it no longer can catch a gear. It’s a replacement transmission ( who’s warranty was supposedly 7 days expired, another post) I was just pulling away from a stop sign and it just rolled into intersection and then just slipped into like neutral. Wouldn’t go forward or reverse. No loud bang, no fluid dump, nothing, just like it was in neutral. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be. I have been told by the dealership it’s a 6k replacement job ( 7 days past warranty, which is a pile of s**t). Then I was told by two separate large franchise / chain auto repair shops different diagnoses. Doe anyone know of anything similar. The reason I ask is that the repair shops want $800 tear down before they can confirm and that’s where someone who is bulls!-**ting with just enough knowledge to hurt themselves end up draining your wallet or doing more damage than repair.

Moved from the CT4 discussion
-Long

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
18,174 Posts
Sounds like it could potentially be a transfer case/output shaft issue.
Has the vehicle been inspected for visual damages yet?

Link to other pist

· Registered
NONE (learning about them)
46 Posts
I have a 2011 CTS4 AWD COUPE with 112,000 miles. It’s in beautiful condition except for it no longer can catch a gear. It’s a replacement transmission ( who’s warranty was supposedly 7 days expired, another post) I was just pulling away from a stop sign and it just rolled into intersection and then just slipped into like neutral. Wouldn’t go forward or reverse. No loud bang, no fluid dump, nothing, just like it was in neutral. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be. I have been told by the dealership it’s a 6k replacement job ( 7 days past warranty, which is a pile of s**t). Then I was told by two separate large franchise / chain auto repair shops different diagnoses. Doe anyone know of anything similar. The reason I ask is that the repair shops want $800 tear down before they can confirm and that’s where someone who is bulls!-**ting with just enough knowledge to hurt themselves end up draining your wallet or doing more damage than repair.
What torque converter was installed when the transmission was replaced?

· Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2021 Blazer 2LT
925 Posts
Long could be onto something. Read threads about input/output shaft failures.

As a 2011 your car would have been originally equipped with the updated parts from the factory. You would think that in 2018 when the transmission was replaced the remanufactured unit would have come with the updated output shaft. You would hope that the dealership that installed the replacement transmission would apply the $2 O-ring part #24251228 onto the output shaft before installing.

But I'm getting to be a cynical old man, I don't really think or even hope that anyone does the right thing anymore.

· Registered
08 CTS DI
3,384 Posts
Long could be onto something. Read threads about input/output shaft failures.

As a 2011 your car would have been originally equipped with the updated parts from the factory. You would think that in 2018 when the transmission was replaced the remanufactured unit would have come with the updated output shaft...
The problem with that hypothesis, is that it is a rebuilt/remanufactured transmission from unknown parts sourcing and some cores containing parts that should be removed and destroyed per GM, like the porous, oil leaking into spark plug tube cylinder heads, end up on the core pile for rebuilds, where they can continue their descent. There is also the possibility GM had absolutely nothing to do with the remanufactured part at all and it is a 3rd party reman, which is worse in my opinion.

Sounds like the repair shops are condemning the transmission by default without any real fundamental diagnostics being performed and walking the OP straight over to the labor pit. If no one has connected gauges to the service ports to get an idea of what's going on, I'd keep moving.

Here is an alternative to the $6k price, if the decision is to replace the transmission:
Try Car-part.com for a good used appropriately matched and validated transmission, to have swapped in for half to a fraction of that price. The original computer can be refurbished (solenoids) and swapped into the replacement unit to skip reprogramming.

There are remanufactured units available on that site in the $2k range, but I would trust a working used original in the 50k-70k mile range for $5-700 plus install, which I estimate to be a round trip of about $1k, over a second remanufactured unit in a 110k mile car. The used units usually come with the assigned VIN to help confirm compatibility.

Don't be afraid to look outside mainstream repair shops for a solution, some auto salvagers install the parts they sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.