Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 CTS 3.6 performance package AWD with only 26k miles .. How hard or better question how much would it cost to change radio to the navigation that slides up . The regular radio even though it has a ssd drive and alot of memory .it just lacks the appearance i am looking for ...CAN IT BE DONE?????

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
I have a 2011 CTS 3.6 performance package AWD with only 26k miles .. How hard or better question how much would it cost to change radio to the navigation that slides up . The regular radio even though it has a ssd drive and alot of memory .it just lacks the appearance i am looking for ...CAN IT BE DONE?????
Yes it can be done, but why would ya' given the complaints of inadequacy associated with it for the cost and limited updateability, when you can just as easily buy a high end portable GPS unit with updates years newer and probably free of charge, than the latest available for the second gen iteration which you would have, which are years outdated and not free.

You can't even update to an aftermarket radio without likely giving up some stock console function which would be a deal breaker for me. If you purchased the OE equipment new, expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $2k minimum and I do believe that's a conservative figure including install, programming and the trouble the techs will probably encounter trying to make it work like it should.

There's also the issue of the appearance that not enough time would be spent in the car to really appreciate it with mileage to age ratio like that.

Search the forum to get more detail on experienced opinions. I like it, but it's not all that and the only time the screen is up is when I don't know where I'm going and it actually does (not always), or I want to know how close I am to my exit to decide when to fight my way over from the passing lane.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,372 Posts
But the OP's radio will not permit use of the NavTool. His best bet is to swap to the Tesla style head unit.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,892 Posts
If you have the same radio that I have it should be a somewhat simple swap.
If you have the Hard Drive Radio then you only need some parts and you can plug in the navigation radio. Then I would strongly suggest getting the Navtool on top of that.

I haven't had a chance to do this in my car yet but I plan on doing just that.
You should only need the Silverbox, the screen with the popup frame, the cables between them and a center stack with the Nav controls in it. Color shouldn't matter because you can unbolt the top section of the center stack and move it over. You would also need the GPS antennae to make it work. Note that if you have the backup camera like I do in the mirror you will still have it in the mirror but if it is turned on in the nav unit it may change to the rear view on the navigation unit even though there is no camera attached. Basically will get a black screen , maybe with lines on it.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Sport Wagon Premium/Performance
215 Posts
OP unless someone is giving you everything you need to install the OEM navigation, I would not even bother with it. My least favorite thing about the CTS is how awful that unit is for something in a 2012 "luxury" car (yes, I know the electronics were not designed in 2012, but I came from a 2008 Ford, the Cadillacs navigation, bluetooth, USB are all a giant step backward from the Ford).

I am counting down the days until my wife is also fed up with it and tells me to upgrade it with something else, likely the navtool unit.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
But Naiku, upgrading to the Factory Nav unit and Navtool will be only slightly more than going the Tesla radio route and will be much more integrated into the car. The Navtool basically gives it what it should have had. You could also, or instead add an Android box behind the Nav unit as well.

No one that I am aware of here has hooked an Android box to their Nav system but I know where the parts are. You need a video interface and a box... The Navtool gives you full connectivity with your phone.

The Nav system is just outdated but not totally useless and still better over the factory radio.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe only slightly more than the Tesla style, but if I had the standard factory radio I'd not be looking at spending anywhere near $2k to update it.

Metra 99-3018S is a little under $200, figure $800 for a decent navigation double din unit and another $100 for misc supplies, wiring etc.... So $1100 for a modern double din that will handle streaming, Bluetooth, USB, navigation, voice, phone much better than the factory unit ever could and cheaper than the navtool + factory navigation.

You could probably get everything for around $800 if buying a unit with Android auto. I picked up a Kenwood 9905S a few weeks ago for $500, wireless and wired Android auto works perfectly, the screens excellent, it has no problems with 128GB flash drives, Pandora, Bluetooth. Google maps.

If the OP wants factory, with or without navtool, more power to them. Personally, there's no way in hell I'd spend that on outdated and frankly crap equipment (I realize navtool improves the factory unit, but it's another $400-$500 on top of the factory equipment). Additionally, if upgrading his factory radio to navtool is reasonably priced, talking $1000 tops for everything, then I'd go that route.

Really, in just saying I'd not look into the factory nav at all, either upgrade what he has to use navtool, or swap it out entirely.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
But then again, with the metra kit you also don't get a radio that looks right... You have a whole panel of buttons that are useless. With the digital amplifier controls of the HD radio and the Nav Radio you need a special interface to talk to the amplifier which I have not seen for less than about $400. The base radio is a little different and you can get away with a much cheaper adapter but if you have onstar you are still at $300 JUST for the adapter not including the install kit and the wireharness .

Tesla radio might be cheaper but you have to insure it works with your system. It too may only work with analog amplifiers and not the digital ones.

Yea, to source out the NAV radio will likley be about $300-$400 for the silverbox with it programmed with the latest maps. Another $150 for the center stack that is compatible. Probably another $150 for the screen and lift portion then you still need the cables which are who knows how much and the GPS Ant. Probably ends up being the same as the Tesla radio but then again you can likely sell your old HD radio, screen and center stack to recover some of that cost.

The navigation radio as a radio is very good sounding. So integrating with a Navtool isn't a bad plan. You still are near the cost of an aftermarket deck or less with full functionality. Slightly outdated maps sure but only if you are not connecting your phone. Then again, if you don't like the idea of a Navtool you can add the video adapter box for about $200 in cost and grab a Android box for another $300 and have no need for android auto. All depends on what you want. I just need to pull the firmware off my NAV unit and get it up and running so I know if its going to work or not.

·
Registered
215 Posts
But then again, with the metra kit you also don't get a radio that looks right... You have a whole panel of buttons that are useless.
Ah yeah, I forgot about that panel of buttons. That's a great point and for me at least, would bug the heck out of me having all the buttons be non functional.

The navigation radio as a radio is very good sounding. So integrating with a Navtool isn't a bad plan.
I agree that the sound of the factory unit is decent enough, especially for a factory set up, where it's lacking IMO is the functionality which can be solved with the Navtool add on. Which if I eventually upgrade mine it will be to a Navtool, just not gotten around to looking into it much. I should admit I am also a little spoiled when it comes to the sound of a car stereo, in my daily driver I have a full aftermarket set up that I compete with.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
There was a guy on here that competed and won the national event in his class with a CTS using the factory Navigation system. It is an Alpine based system and is very nice as a stereo.

He attached a Bitone to the output of the amplifier to recondition his sound, sent that out to aftermarket amplifiers and aftermarket speakers. But still was based on the Navigation headunit so I have no qualms about keeping it and just enhancing it.

Rodney

·
Registered
215 Posts
Used to have a Bitone, was happy with mine, then went to a Helix and now running a MiniDSP with Dirac Live.

I'll have to look into the guy you mention, will be cool to read up on someone's upgrades.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,829 Posts
" it programmed with the latest maps" 2015 AFAIR but it was really the "user-hostile" interface that I did not like.
" bug the heck out of me having all the buttons be non functional." - stay away from Mercedes particularly the R171 (SLK350) I never saw so many buttons that did not do anything useful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts