Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my armrest on the driver’s door on my 2011 CTS Premium sedan. (This armrest is also the handle that I pull to close the door). The top part of this armrest has pulled out of the door panel. It looks like some plastic connector clip broke. It also looks like there is a screw inside the remaining hole there. I’d like to fix this armrest, since it’s what I use to pull the door closed.

How do I remove the door panel? I heard there might be two screws - and I think one is behind the little panel behind the door handle. Perhaps the 2nd one is the one in the hole where the armrest pulled out(?). Or is there another screw somewhere else?

The dealer told me that the armrest cannot be fixed, and that I need to install a new door panel (nearly $1000). Is there a quick fix for this armrest issue?

If not - how do I remove the door panel? (and buy my own replacement panel for $464).

Here is a closeup of the broken end of the armrest - as well as the entire door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 CTS4 Premium Sedan
19 Posts
Three screws from what I remember. One behind the little chrome handle. There's a plastic panel that can be popped out. Two are behind the armrest. The bottom half of the armrest is plastic. It can be carefully removed and there is a screw at each end.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Luxury 3.0 Sedan
1 Posts
I have an issue with my armrest on the driver’s door on my 2011 CTS Premium sedan. (This armrest is also the handle that I pull to close the door). The top part of this armrest has pulled out of the door panel. It looks like some plastic connector clip broke. It also looks like there is a screw inside the remaining hole there. I’d like to fix this armrest, since it’s what I use to pull the door closed.

How do I remove the door panel? I heard there might be two screws - and I think one is behind the little panel behind the door handle. Perhaps the 2nd one is the one in the hole where the armrest pulled out(?). Or is there another screw somewhere else?

The dealer told me that the armrest cannot be fixed, and that I need to install a new door panel (nearly $1000). Is there a quick fix for this armrest issue?

If not - how do I remove the door panel? (and buy my own replacement panel for $464).

Here is a closeup of the broken end of the armrest - as well as the entire door.
MGedlin:

I have the EXACT same problem on my driver's de2011 CTS Sedan. The plastic clip for the interior handle broke and I am wondering how to fix it.
Did you buy a whole new panel or did you come up with a Gorilla Glue alternative?

Thanks.
JKav

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,171 Posts
MGedlin:

I have the EXACT same problem on my driver's de2011 CTS Sedan. The plastic clip for the interior handle broke and I am wondering how to fix it.
Did you buy a whole new panel or did you come up with a Gorilla Glue alternative?

Thanks.
JKav
It's been a while since he's posted, so you may not get a reply.
You might get lucky using a strong bonding agent at the break, but my suspicion is that it will come apart again due to its location and the pulling force exerted there.
A quick search showed that used door panels can be had in the $150-200 range on Ebay, you may be able to source them for less at a local salvage yard.

Best of luck with the repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts