Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have three fobs for the red 2011 CTS. #1 is the boss lady's and is fine. #2 was mine and it disappeared into the ether. I took my old 2009 STS fob and made it into #3 a while ago. It works, the brass key attached to the chrome pull par doesn't fit but I got a plain key made at the homeless despot and it opens the driver door with no issues. The #3 works fine, remote starts, etc, but no memory because only # 1 and #2 can do that.

How do I get the car to re-learn # 3 as # 2? I have the manual and it says how to add a remote (up to 4) and how to learn without having any transmitters, which is potentially dangerous, because it will erase all known transmitters. Is that the way to do this?

OR, and I JUST thought of this. We have two identical 2011 CTSs. Mine is red and hers is black and we have both original #1 and #2 for her black car.

Would this work?

Add the current red car #3 to the black car as #3. This SHOULD cause it to be "forgotten" to the red car.

THEN Add that same fob to the red car which Should make it #2.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,327 Posts
Did you check your owners manual. Think it will store 5 or 6 keys and there is a different process for adding additional key vs clearing all and replacing. You'd want to do the process where you delete all and then add your 2 back so they get put in #1 and #2 spot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a scanner to renumber fobs. I used a Snap On Solus to do this task.
If I delete all and then add them back, won't the first one be # 1 and the 2nd one that I add be # 2?

I'm just leery of the "delete all" part of the process.

Dave, max is 4 fobs. I did the add once to make my #3 fob.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual states (I think) that a transmitter cannot be paired to 2 different cars. So, If I pair the current red car # 3 to the black car, won't it be invalid to the red car?

And then, since it would be a "new" fob, and the #2 is not present in the vehicle when "adding" shouldn't this become #2 when I add it to the red car?

Or does the car know somewhere deep within its digital mind that there is a #2 fob even if it is not present when I start the "add a fob" routine??

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,327 Posts
If I delete all and then add them back, won't the first one be # 1 and the 2nd one that I add be # 2?
Yes. If you just add it, it becomes #3 like you have now.

The manual states (I think) that a transmitter cannot be paired to 2 different cars. So, If I pair the current red car # 3 to the black car, won't it be invalid to the red car?

And then, since it would be a "new" fob, and the #2 is not present in the vehicle when "adding" shouldn't this become #2 when I add it to the red car?

Or does the car know somewhere deep within its digital mind that there is a #2 fob even if it is not present when I start the "add a fob" routine??
I think the first part is right that the newly programmed fob will only work with the newly programmed car. The old car has no idea that you reprogrammed the fob though, so it still has it as #2. You have to delete all and reprogram #1 and #2.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I'll drive to the dealer and try the delete all and reprogram over there. Worst case is they have to re-program for the 2 remotes.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,213 Posts
BTW I *think" that on the car you can just delete all/reprogram all but the Tech 2 (or Tech2Win) can just reprogram one and not change the other.

Question is whether you will have to pay someone at the dealer to learn how to do it. Check what they would charge you for it first.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I bought a new fob and the emergency key from the dealer ($$). The car very easily accepted the new fob as # 4 - WTF? OK, I will go back to the dealer tomorrow and have them re-number them fobs 1, 2, and 3.

And then the next day, the missing key fob will show up. :mad:

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
605 Posts
When my wife lost my #1 fob while kayaking, my insurance paid to replace the fob. I ordered the new fob and blank from the dealer and had them cut the key pattern from #2. Like you I didn't want to add the new fob as #3, so I followed the instructions in the manual to delete all and reprogram starting with the new fob as #1. IIRC it is a lengthy waiting procedure with the car in accessory so ensure you have plenty of battery life or connect a charger temporarily.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow,

Well the dealer re-programmed them. It took them a few hours, but they only charged $87. I could done what FunkZ did but with my recent luck I would have immobiilized the car in the driveway. So now I have #1, 2, and 3 fobs (the spare is still #3) the way I want them. I didn't want to "try it at home" . :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts