Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I purchased a used 2011 CTS Premium AWD late last year with approx 8,500 miles. Beautiful car and loaded but I have concerns. It hesitates 1-2 seconds when I attempt to pass on the highway. Very dangerous merging...

Also, it has poor gas mileage. approx 15 mpg in mixed highway/local averaging 30 miles per hour. My previous car was a 2005 CTS Lux Sport. Mileage was approx 18 in the same commute and it was a lot quicker in acceleration. Seems like a huge milage penalty for AWD.

I suspect there may be a transmission issue with the hesitation. The car builds speed slowly but will hold it.

I plan to take it to the dealer in March and have them check it out. Has anyone experienced similar issues with the AWD models?

·
Registered
Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4
109 Posts
Try this. A search in the forums shows that others have tried this and it has fixed their hesitation issues. I am going to do this tonight after work as I have the same issue.

Owners manual page 5-47 (10-30 in your manual) for 2009 CTS excerpt:

After a power loss, such as disconnecting the battery or
removing the maxi fuses in the power distribution
fuse block, the following steps must be performed to
calibrate the electronic throttle control. If this is not done,
the engine will not run properly.
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN. Do not start the
engine.
2. Leave the ignition in ON/RUN for at least three
minutes so that the electronic throttle control will
cycle and re-learn its home position.
3. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
4. Start and run the engine for at least 30 seconds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sal I will give it a try tonight. I searched the forum and saw that may be the issue.

Others had issues with a spark plug and coil pack.

12,778 Posts
Sal, thanks so much for posting that helpful manual text!

Mrmiker56, please keep us in the loop when you've had a chance to troubleshoot. In the meantime, I'm happy to check for recalls or investigate questions further for you. Email me anytime at [email protected]!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2010 CTS, 2012 CTS Wagon Both AWD
18 Posts
Maybe I can try this too, just purchased a 2010 AWD 3.0 CTS. I tried to pass a truck last night and when I attempted to accelerate, I thought the car had quit, but finally it accelerated, the gas mileage is terrible to, was showing 24.5 when purchased, now 22.5 since I've had it a week, not too happy with that. Also seems to stumble like a miss when first run after sitting when cold. No check engine and onstar reports nothing. Wonder if the bumper to bumper warranty will cover this?

·
Registered
2010 CTS Wagon
214 Posts
The mileage in an AWD is terrible. Rented a Chrysler 300C with NAV. The interface is better on the NAV, and does a better job - not as many wrong turns as the CTS Nav. Also better iPod interface. Further, with the large hemi engine in the 300C - it was getting 25 mpg.

Another Chrysler 300 I rented for an extended trip of 3200 miles for work (easier than flying) got over 31 mpg and my foot was in it. Now it only had a V6 of similar size to the 3.0 but got better gas mileage and the seats were more comfortable.

On my recent trip to FL from PA I took my 2010 CTS Wagon AWD and got 24 mpg at roughly 74 mph average with cruise control. It was comfortable, but wife complained about the lack of suitable cup holders and places to put stuff. Chrysler does a better job with that too - lots of places to put crap. But for one person it does a good job of getting from A to B without a lot of drama. Now if I can figure out the issue with the TPMS giving bogus numbers I will be happy.....

·
Registered
CTS AWD DI
68 Posts
I am having the same problems. The car is a big money pit. Will give it to anyone who wants it, or trade it for a bag of marbles I think that would be a fair trade.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I rent enough cars to know that anything over 20MPG is decent, it seems like some people have unrealistic expectations for a 300HP AWD vehicle that is built like a tank. Our car is not light, but we also gain some other benefits. For instance, did you know the side door panels are thicker than the rest of the car? It probably explains why I have yet to see a ding in my doors (despite no trim to protect it).

One of the reasons I personally chose the CTS in 2008 was the gas mileage. At that time it had one of the lowest mileage penalties available (didn't even think about Infiniti G35 for instance) and had the same highway rating as a Subaru forester with a non turbo 4-cylinder.

Regarding the OP...perhaps your car is having a more serious issue. However, ironically I suspect you are seeing what has been a trend that last several years to boost EPA mileage numbers. You'll see plenty of car reviews that complain about a short delay when pushing down on the accelerator (across brands). When I am a more sport oriented mode, I find it beneficial to move the shift lever to the right.

For those who haven't had the chance to truly experience sport mode. Try this experience....move lever to right, drive like a mad man for about a minute on back roads and the car will become a "beast".

·
Registered
117 Posts
For those who haven't had the chance to truly experience sport mode. Try this experience....move lever to right, drive like a mad man for about a minute on back roads and the car will become a "beast".
Hopefully the OP sorted out his problem, however if it's just na short delay, it's like Yatesd said, especially with the multi speed transmissions, passing now requires a few gear drop and to overcome the high shift tolerance for EPA testing. Thank god the CTS is equipped with the sport mode. Makes the car very responsive. I won't drive it any other way. Of course I used to drive my '11 Ram1500 Hemi in tow/haul all the time which locked out sixth and shifted into 3rd or 2nd on agressive passes.

Regarding mileage, these are two ton cars and have terrible drag (0.36 CD on the Coupe), lots of power, yet still do better than my buddy's WRX, Forestor, Murano etc on most drives. Anything in the 20s is stellar for this type of automobile. Heck, I get 28 in my 2.0, NA<, 4 cyl, 2200 lb Golf.

I also rent a lot of cars, and only the Veloster Turbo did better on milage with adequate power, but it was terrible when the roads were bad.

·
Registered
2010 CTS, 2012 CTS Wagon Both AWD
18 Posts
OK, have had my used 2010 AWD CTS Luxury 3.0 for about a month. The DIC is showing 23.1 mpg. average speed of 51 mph. When I fill up it says I have 414 miles to drive. I drive mostly interstate for 92 miles with about only 5 miles on a back road to and from work everyday. This is a nice ride, and the AWD really makes the trip in this incliment weather a lot more comfortable feeling. Still have the hesitation, bad, but don't crowd it very often so no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on OP

I had my 2011 AWD 3.6DI checked out last week for the lag issue and they said everything checked out fine. Engine power checked out normal. They checked to make sure my car had all of the lastest system updates. They will keep me posted if GM has any software updates on the car but I think it is how the transmission is programmed. Be careful merging into traffic at a high speed as I almost got hit my first time merging on I-95. My 2005 CTS Lux Sport was a rocket. It took off when you gunned it and I expected the same performance or better. My 2011 has the 1-2 second delay but now that I know its performance I will be more careful and not crowd anyone (as Jax says).

Re the Gas mileage, everything checked out fine. The dealer said AWD extracts a hefty premium in terms of a mileage penalty. They spected my car against similar AWD models and although mine was on the low end of the mileage spectrum, it is within normal (acceptable) limits. I recalibrated my gas pedal as instructed in an ealier post and I turned the Air Conditioner off. (I had it on automatic). My weekly mileage is now 16-16.5 (vs previous 15 mpg) given these changes together with keeping teh RPMs under 2000.

I think I will stop looking at the mileage display and enjoy the car. It really is a sweet ride. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD previously, '18 CTS AWD
356 Posts
I drove about 60 miles on the highway recently and reset all the counters after I got on. I set cruise for 65, but ended up slowing to 63. After about 30 minutes, I was getting 28 mpg. By the time I got to my exit, I was seeing 30.3 mpg (avg speed showed 62). I had a full tank, so by the time I got there, I was showing 356 miles to empty at the line above half a tank. On the way back I was able to set cruise for 65, but due to traffic I had to stop cruise a couple times, but I was getting 28 mpg at 65.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
There's one more thing the OP can try. Read this thread started by RAB: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/228183-6-speed-auto-transmission-adaptive-learning.html

Our 2011 AWD transmission hesitated terribly when new, and the Cadillac service personnel said it was normal. After much complaining on our part and with the information from RAB's thread, resetting the TAP values (as described in the above thread) helped a lot. The transmission still hesitated but not as badly after the reset. Read my post #38 in that thread for our experience with the Cadillac service technician. Good luck.

Our gas mileage averaged in the high teens and lower 20s with a mix of city and highway driving.

·
Registered
2012 SRX AWD Premium
6 Posts
I recently checked my gas milleage and found out i was around 11mpg but i was kinda hard on gas/acceleration. So i started to drive like a grand-pa... like really really easy on gas, super slow acceleration (under 2000rpm)... still im getting about 15mpg...
If im on the highway, on cruise, at around 60mph, i get 23mpg... but my average with city driving is around 15mpg. Is that normal?

thank you

·
Registered
none
11 Posts
WOW So much for modern high tech electronic controlled new vehicles. Somebody is selling somebody a bill of goods. Can't the Auto Manufacturers come up with something better?
I drive a 1999 4.0 V8 Olds Aurora. A large 4 door turnpike cruiser. I get 18 -25 MPG. 18 is the lowest and combined driving falls in around 20. Highway is where it make up the MPG.
I can travel at 75MPH, 4 passengers with carry on suitcases, air on and get 25 MPG. Oh yes, It's FWD only. I have no problems with un even front tire wear or pulling torque.
What's wrong with this picture?????

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Premium
39 Posts
I recently drove from Chicago to Atlanta & back, averaged 26.4 MPG. I was pleased with that considering I was driving 75+ MPH for most of the trip.

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD previously, '18 CTS AWD
356 Posts
I notice on a local road where the speed limit is 40 mph, I can get highway mpg. It takes an incredibly steady foot to not increase pressure or decrease pressure. I've even set the cruise control a couple of times. If you can let up on the pedal so it's no longer accelerating, you can get the mileage up there.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,597 Posts
I've noticed when i'm cruising and i want to pass, I need to step on the pedal almost half way down to put her into passing gear. She takes off then. Otherwise, if I slowly step on the gas pedal, she takes her time with a slow (hesitant, but cruising) pass. If i'm driving aggressive, the powertrain will be aggressive. when i'm in town, I have a softer & smoother acceleration. I enjoy this, it allows me to drive around town without worrying about her jumping out of control. If you're gonna pass, jump on her!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Wgn 3.6 AWD Prem
24 Posts
We recently picked up a 2011 AWD 3.6DI Wagon and the mileage is terrible. Even on a long interstate drive I just barely gets 23, and that was on an elevation drop. In general it gets 18mpg tops. So terrible. I am going to get the intake cleaned and install a catch can to see if that helps. I am also going to try the ETC reset mentioned above.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 LY7
236 Posts
According to the manual. I f your going 35 MPH or less your suppose to give half throttle for it to get out of overdrive. if Higher than 35 like 60 for instance your suppose to floor it. I randomly came across this in the manual one day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts