Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving on highway. Got into it a little then my RPMs drop to zero. I was doing well over 100mph. The car didn’t shut off on its own & didn’t hear tapping or knocking. Did see smoke from passenger side. Small white cloud. Once I cut it off she wouldn’t start back up. Low compression on passenger side and normal compression on driver side. It’s the LY7 3.6 dohc direct injection non interference. Just did motor swap under 6 months ago. Same type engine. Head gasket?? Timing chain?? Worse?

· Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,732 Posts
These cars do have a rev limiter on them. You probably went over speed and did it for too long and the car stalled out.
Not sure what the normal rev limiter is since I had mine reprogrammed and have had mine up to 145 in 4th gear. But the hood started shaking real bad so I had to back off. Think the speed limiter in my car now is 189. Might have been like 115 stock but not sure.

· Registered
2013 CTS Premium Sedan, 2015 CTS V-Sport
179 Posts
Speed limiter from the factory is 140 from my experience.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Road racing is cause for removal from CF. :cool:

We all signed the Site Rules when we registered as members. Welcome Aboard !!!
Wasn’t racing
These cars do have a rev limiter on them. You probably went over speed and did it for too long and the car stalled out.
Not sure what the normal rev limiter is since I had mine reprogrammed and have had mine up to 145 in 4th gear. But the hood started shaking real bad so I had to back off. Think the speed limiter in my car now is 189. Might have been like 115 stock but not sure.
why do you think my whole passenger side has low compression now? Right side good. Crank no start

· Registered
2011 CTS coupe 1989 Allante
5,929 Posts
"Road racing is cause for removal from CF " not sure how you are defining that. To me "Road Racing" is an organized event usually on a road course, like PBIR or Sebring or Daytona (infield course) but often was on abandoned airfields like Sebastien. Street Racing is something different.

That said I have heard of a shutdown occurring from overheating (e.g. well over 250F) which might also explain a blown head gasket.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Road racing is cause for removal from CF. :cool:

We all signed the Site Rules when we registered as members. Welcome Aboard !!!
Wasn’t racing
"Road racing is cause for removal from CF " not sure how you are defining that. To me "Road Racing" is an organized event usually on a road course, like PBIR or Sebring or Daytona (infield course) but often was on abandoned airfields like Sebastien. Street Racing is something different.

That said I have heard of a shutdown occurring from overheating (e.g. well over 250F) which might also explain a blown head gasket.
well said. I don’t know what he’s talking about. Tripping. But thanks for the tip I’ll look into the head gasket soon as I get the chance.

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,523 Posts
Two things:

1) I suspect a blown head gasket based on the description and the conditions it occurred. If you're handy enough to check compression, you'll have no trouble diagnosing this one. Hopefully, no other damage beyond the failed gasket.

2) I think the warning was for us to stay away from conversations about the excess speed that the OP drove in the event that it somehow involved street or road racing. 100 mph is illegal and dangerous anywhere on public roads in the US and Canada.

· Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,732 Posts
Two things:

1) I suspect a blown head gasket based on the description and the conditions it occurred. If you're handy enough to check compression, you'll have no trouble diagnosing this one. Hopefully, no other damage beyond the failed gasket.

2) I think the warning was for us to stay away from conversations about the excess speed that the OP drove in the event that it somehow involved street or road racing. 100 mph is illegal and dangerous anywhere on public roads in the US and Canada.
Not true... Some states have expressways that have "No daytime speedlimit" on them. When I traveled through Wyoming they had 85mph speed limits on the highway I was on. And many people were doing 100+

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,967 Posts
100 in an 85 is 15 mph over the limit. :cool:

If everyone - everyone - is moving at the same speed at safe distancing there's little relative motion between vehicles so "safety" depends on attention and mechanical failures. If a 100 mph vehicle overtakes a 60 mph vehicle that 40 mph relative motion difference can cause a nasty accident.

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,523 Posts
100 in an 85 is 15 mph over the limit. :cool:

If everyone - everyone - is moving at the same speed at safe distancing there's little relative motion between vehicles so "safety" depends on attention and mechanical failures. If a 100 mph vehicle overtakes a 60 mph vehicle that 40 mph relative motion difference can cause a nasty accident.
I think that's the key. The difficulty is that at 100 mph, your stopping distance is ~600' vs ~240' from 60 mph and the average car's brakes are not up to the heat generated from emergency stopping from 100 mph. I can't even imagine what the damage would be from hitting a deer going 160 kph (100 mph).

Not true... Some states have expressways that have "No daytime speedlimit" on them. When I traveled through Wyoming they had 85mph speed limits on the highway I was on. And many people were doing 100+
I don't think that's true any more. Montana used to have no speed limit during the daytime but that was many years ago. I think you can find 80 and 85 mph limits here and there but they're rare. Source: Speed: Maximum posted speed limits by state

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.