Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver's seat intermittent failure of seat forward and backward motion. Still under extended warranty, but dealer can't get replacement seat frame. I found a complete replacement seat but it doesn't have the heated seat option. Can I use that frame as a donor or add heated seat to the replacement?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,832 Posts
I'm confused. You complain about intermittent front to back and vice-versa operation. Then you go on about replacing the frame. I don't understand the connection. Speaking of connection, are the wires in good condition and connected properly? Have you checked the connector in front of the seat to ascertain it is functioning properly? Maybe you have a switch problem. I sure as hell would exhaust all the electrical possibilities before I started replacing parts.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,440 Posts
I suspect that the dealer would like to swap in a new frame assembly - which includes all the electricals - rather than trying to fix the electricals. The OP can buy a parted-out front seat from a wreckers and it will be an easier job than disassembling the seat and repairing electricals. That being said, this problem could be one simple electrical connection or a loose wire. hard to know without pulling the seat out and hooking it up to a power supply.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NorthernSRX hit the nail on the head. Dealers suggested getting the whole seat frame rather than replacing individual components. Recyclers typically sell the entire seat, and this one is perfect as it's the right color, and from a low mileage car, except for the lack of a butt warmer.

I was surprised to see that the actual seat frames have different part numbers in the gm catalog depending on the different options like lumbar support and heat. Why would they have different frames and not just add switches and wires to the same frame for the different options? Only frame difference that makes sense to me is that the coupe needs a seat back hinge.

As far as diagnosis goes, removing the seat may be a good idea, but if I believe the dealer, they said that the motor and switch were fine yet the seat didn't move. Then "a miracle occurred" and it started to work again. So I do have a good deal of skepticism about their diagnostic skills.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,440 Posts
NorthernSRX hit the nail on the head. Dealers suggested getting the whole seat frame rather than replacing individual components. Recyclers typically sell the entire seat, and this one is perfect as it's the right color, and from a low mileage car, except for the lack of a butt warmer.

I was surprised to see that the actual seat frames have different part numbers in the gm catalog depending on the different options like lumbar support and heat. Why would they have different frames and not just add switches and wires to the same frame for the different options? Only frame difference that makes sense to me is that the coupe needs a seat back hinge.

As far as diagnosis goes, removing the seat may be a good idea, but if I believe the dealer, they said that the motor and switch were fine yet the seat didn't move. Then "a miracle occurred" and it started to work again. So I do have a good deal of skepticism about their diagnostic skills.

You probably have a wiring issue and it could be corrosion rather than a break. The seat is easily removed (takes about 20 minutes) and flipped upside down for a look-see. That might tell you everything or nothing. The frames are different because these cars go from manual adjustment to power everything with lumbar. And, of course, these cars are old now and there are no OEM frames being sold anymore.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,782 Posts

Consider taking it to a non-dealer mechanic who will diagnose it and do the repairs and if required will get the part(s) needed. I see no reason in this case to replace the entire seat frame.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally I would do the seat removal and diagnosis myself, I am just annoyed that I have a warranty that can't be used because the part (seat frame) that the dealer would have replaced isn't available, so my choice is either DIY or what feels like paying twice as it is a covered repair.

The issue is also very intermittent so it is very difficult to reproduce.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Time for me to fish or cut bait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts