Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my 2010 sts for about a month now, and im still trying to figure out everything. I have a build sheet the dealer gave me, with all my options. (purchased used). I have the 1sc, and a huge list, which says my car has the rainsense. Ive yet to figure out how to turn it on. when its raining, and on intermittent it just operates at the timed inter. speed. the owners manual hasnt helped any. When I had my 2000 sls with rainsense it was very noticeable when it was on and working. any suggestions?
Also my build sheet says I have the "adaptive forward headlamps" (t4f) found no info in the owners manual. How can i tell if i have them? Cant see the headlight beam move when i move the steering wheel. Are the build sheets always correctt?? My car has the chrome plated factory wheels, and i cant seem to find that noted anywhere on the build sheet. All it says is polished aluminum, but are chrome plated........The build sheet came from "autopartners.net"

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
To address the RainSense ... The version you have now is newer and better than what GM used in 2000. It may not be as noticeable. Having said this, the system works by constant communication using a Pulse Width Modulated signal between the RainSense module and the wiper control module (usually part of the wiper motor assembly). The wiper arm control on your steering column adjusts the sensitivity of the RainSense system. If the PWM signal is not present the wiper control module reverts to using the wiper arm control to adjust wiper delay instead of sensitivity. You may have a bad RainSense module or a wiring problem. It's also possible that the module isn't clipped onto the base correctly. This base is held to the glass with a special type of adhesive pad. It is unlikely there is a blown fuse, unless you're having other problems with the car as the RainSense module is on a shared circuit with other devices.

I know with the Buick Enclave, the articulating headlamps (in vehicles with this option) only move when you are travelling above a set speed. I looked at the GM Vehicle Order Guide used by dealerships for the 2010 STS. T4F is listed as "Headlamps, high intensity discharge". There is no mention of them being articulating. "TSH" is the code GM uses for articulating in some of their other lines... I've never heard of the STS having these, not to say it isn't possible.

Try running your VIN at www.compnine.com. There is a link at the bottom of the page for "VIN Decoder". See what you find there...

·
Registered
2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I ran my vin through the website, but nothing comes up. says to check back again sometime. Thanks for the info on the rainsense. Im going to play around with it when i wash the car this weekend, and see if the wipers make any changes with the water hose. So far, i can tell nothing. I had my buddy watch the headlights while i turned the wheel, but there was no movement in the lights. Maybe it is at at certain speed. this is exactly what is printed on my build sheet under option codes: t4f-headlamps, high intensity discharge w/adaptive forward lighting. I dont find a tsh anywhere on the sheet, or on the tag in the trunk.. Anyhow thanks for the reply. This was originally a hertz rental car, in service for 6 months. has every option, with the exception of the platinum edition options.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the information. I ran my vin through the website, but nothing comes up. says to check back again sometime. Thanks for the info on the rainsense. Im going to play around with it when i wash the car this weekend, and see if the wipers make any changes with the water hose. So far, i can tell nothing. I had my buddy watch the headlights while i turned the wheel, but there was no movement in the lights. Maybe it is at at certain speed. this is exactly what is printed on my build sheet under option codes: t4f-headlamps, high intensity discharge w/adaptive forward lighting. I dont find a tsh anywhere on the sheet, or on the tag in the trunk.. Anyhow thanks for the reply. This was originally a hertz rental car, in service for 6 months. has every option, with the exception of the platinum edition options.
I'm not positive, but I thought forward adaptive lights simply meant that your high beams would shut off temporarily when another car approached in opposite direction. I did a search and fount that the term adaptive forward lighting in fact refers to lights that swivel. With that said, if the sts ever had them, I just learned something.

·
Registered
2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not positive, but I thought forward adaptive lights simply meant that your high beams would shut off temporarily when another car approached in opposite direction. I did a search and fount that the term adaptive forward lighting in fact refers to lights that swivel. With that said, if the sts ever had them, I just learned something.

I called the dealer, and they could tell me nothing about it. So. maybe its there, or maybe not...i dont know..lol below the t4f description on my build sheet, is TQ5, which is the intellibeam headlights control. ive used this on several night time trips, and for the most part works great. occasionnally been flashed before the sensor kicks them down to low beam.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I had my buddy watch the headlights while i turned the wheel, but there was no movement in the lights. Maybe it is at at certain speed. this is exactly what is printed on my build sheet under option codes: t4f-headlamps, high intensity discharge w/adaptive forward lighting. I dont find a tsh anywhere on the sheet, or on the tag in the trunk.. Anyhow thanks for the reply. This was originally a hertz rental car, in service for 6 months. has every option, with the exception of the platinum edition options.
Okay, as I said before, articulating headlights don't move when the car is below a set speed. If you're parked, even if you did have them, your buddy would not have seen them move.

Unless you got your build sheet directly from GM, the accuracy of the information is in question. The source you mention sure didn't seem like GM so don't assume what it says is correct. The information I provided was directly from GM's vehicle order guide for the 2010 STS and it makes no mention that these articulate. I suspect this is probably more accurate than your source. As you mention, IntelliBeam is RPO TQ5 so this doesn't explain your dilemma either.

Regarding "every option"... This is a term used car salespeople love to throw around and in this day and age couldn't be more misleading. There are many options in the STS and there is no possible way to get every single one of them in any particular car. For example... the "Platinum Edition" options don't include heated washer nozzles because these are only available in the V-Series STS. Likewise, I have yet to see a V-Series with ventilated seats because they have suede inserts that are not perforated and therefore won't have this option. I have yet to see a rental car company buy a car with every possible option... This just doesn't happen. "Fully Loaded", "Every Available Option", and a few other similar terms drive me nuts because they're a way to make the next unsuspecting car buyer think the vehicle in front of them has it all when in reality, it won't. Just my little rant against used car salespeople. I'm sure there are a few good ones out there but I haven't met one yet that didn't lie to me.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Doing a little more research in GM's Vehicle Order Guide (2010 STS), here is exactly what they list as RPO T4F:

"Headlamps, high intensity discharge Xenon, windshield
wiper-activated with flash-to-pass feature, includes (CE4)
headlamp washer system"

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
The STS Intellebeam is what you describe. I've never read of Forward Adaptive Lighting (ala Tucker) being available on the STS.

·
Registered
2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, as I said before, articulating headlights don't move when the car is below a set speed. If you're parked, even if you did have them, your buddy would not have seen them move.

Unless you got your build sheet directly from GM, the accuracy of the information is in question. The source you mention sure didn't seem like GM so don't assume what it says is correct. The information I provided was directly from GM's vehicle order guide for the 2010 STS and it makes no mention that these articulate. I suspect this is probably more accurate than your source. As you mention, IntelliBeam is RPO TQ5 so this doesn't explain your dilemma either.

Regarding "every option"... This is a term used car salespeople love to throw around and in this day and age couldn't be more misleading. There are many options in the STS and there is no possible way to get every single one of them in any particular car. For example... the "Platinum Edition" options don't include heated washer nozzles because these are only available in the V-Series STS. Likewise, I have yet to see a V-Series with ventilated seats because they have suede inserts that are not perforated and therefore won't have this option. I have yet to see a rental car company buy a car with every possible option... This just doesn't happen. "Fully Loaded", "Every Available Option", and a few other similar terms drive me nuts because they're a way to make the next unsuspecting car buyer think the vehicle in front of them has it all when in reality, it won't. Just my little rant against used car salespeople. I'm sure there are a few good ones out there but I haven't met one yet that didn't lie to me.
Well, i tried the link for the vin look-up, but gives me no info at this time. The dealer actually gave me the printout, thats shows the forward lighting option. "auto partners" "global warranty management" For a previous rental, its sure has alot of features. 1sc, y41 (luxury level 2 package) , pdq (premium luxury collection) . when i got into the bluetooth of the nav, i noticed it was programmed for a Doctor. the car has absolutely no scratches, door dings..etc. 14,000, and no chips on the hood. Im thinking that this was special ordered by a hospital the rental agency, specifically for the Dr.
Who knows.....Super car. The side blind zone alert is Great, and lane departure warning is awesome. Turns so much sharper than the V8. I dont like the way the transmission shifts, but I guess thats the way the v6's are. If I had it to do over, i'd find a car with the same options and the V-8.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
That's really confusing because if it has GM Global Connect, Global Warranty Management at the top it sounds like it came from GM... Perplexing. Sorry, can't explain that one. It sounds like you have a nice car though. The side blind zone is nice. I like the lane departure warning but find mine false alarms more frequently with partially snow covered roads.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6-1SC
411 Posts
Did you buy your car from an authorized GM dealer? From the terms you are using to describe the "build sheet" sounds like it was not. A GM or Cadillac dealer should be able to get you a Vehicle Summary Report which is specific to your car and gives repair history and the exact features installed with the RPO codes. If the "build sheet" you got from the dealer does not match exactly the RPO codes listed on the tag in the trunk I would assume that the "build sheet" is wrong.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Did you buy your car from an authorized GM dealer? From the terms you are using to describe the "build sheet" sounds like it was not. A GM or Cadillac dealer should be able to get you a Vehicle Summary Report which is specific to your car and gives repair history and the exact features installed with the RPO codes. If the "build sheet" you got from the dealer does not match exactly the RPO codes listed on the tag in the trunk I would assume that the "build sheet" is wrong.
This was my thought initially too, but GM dealerships connect through autopartners.net to GM Global Connect and use "Global Warranty Management" so when I read this, what he said made a lot more sense. You're referring to VIS which is the Vehicle Information System. From here you can look up the vehicle build. There are a couple of ways to get this information out of the GM computers (depending on whether you are a partsman, technician, etc). It all comes from the same source though... report formats and names can vary.

·
Registered
2015 ATS4 2.0T
11 Posts
I have the same issue with the Rain Sense wipers - 2010 STS. How do you turn them on (or do you). I didn't see anything in the manual. They don't seem to turn on when the windscreen is wet. The wipers work fine as intermittant up to full speed. If i go through a car wash, is there a way to turn off the function? <aybe it is just turned off a dI don't know how to turn it back on.
Appreciate your advice...

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
With the stalk all the way down, bump it up one notch, RainSense is now on and also your headlights if auto lights are active.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I have the same issue with the Rain Sense wipers - 2010 STS. How do you turn them on (or do you). I didn't see anything in the manual. They don't seem to turn on when the windscreen is wet. The wipers work fine as intermittant up to full speed. If i go through a car wash, is there a way to turn off the function? <aybe it is just turned off a dI don't know how to turn it back on.
Appreciate your advice...
GM did eliminate this option from the 2010-11 STS which is why you can't find a reference in your manual. Your car is equipped only with delay wipers.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Performance, 2012 SRX Performance
26 Posts
Couple Things: and forgive me if this is repetitive of other posts. 1st, If you did not buy it from a Cadillac or GM certified Dealer, that features sheet is probably only worth the money of the ink and paper. I bought a 2008 STS "Platinum" edition with a 3.6 and no nav. (I had this feature sheet with all these fancy words and codes and was so excited.) For those of you now chuckling, no I can't pull the Platinum badge off without scarring the paint so it stays. After running the VIN I over paid by about $3500 and cannot do anything about it. 2nd: I don't know how much difference rain-sense is on the 2010, but to turn mine on I simply move the wiper stalk up one notch.(so all the way down is off, up one position is rain-sense, up two is intermittent, and up three is low....etc) Once I move it up it activates the rain-sense, and in (D) Drive it turns the headlamps on automatically (some type of safety feature.) So If driving down the roan and I pull up behind someone,if the amber DRL's are on I know rain-sense if off, but it headlights are on and its sunny out, I know rain-sense is active. The system actually works extremely well at adjusting, and its a little more intelligent then just using a hose on the windshield. I would probably use a mister, or spray bottle to more accurately simulate the rain on the windshield. 3rd: I now open the floor to all of the jokes about my 2008 STS 1SB with the platinum badge on the back. :)...still the best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
I'd leave it anyway. It's the way you bought the car and the story's worth something.

If you're so inclined, other members report success removing emblems using dental floss. Heat is good, too.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Couple Things: and forgive me if this is repetitive of other posts. 1st, If you did not buy it from a Cadillac or GM certified Dealer, that features sheet is probably only worth the money of the ink and paper. I bought a 2008 STS "Platinum" edition with a 3.6 and no nav. (I had this feature sheet with all these fancy words and codes and was so excited.) For those of you now chuckling, no I can't pull the Platinum badge off without scarring the paint so it stays. After running the VIN I over paid by about $3500 and cannot do anything about it. 2nd: I don't know how much difference rain-sense is on the 2010, but to turn mine on I simply move the wiper stalk up one notch.(so all the way down is off, up one position is rain-sense, up two is intermittent, and up three is low....etc) Once I move it up it activates the rain-sense, and in (D) Drive it turns the headlamps on automatically (some type of safety feature.) So If driving down the roan and I pull up behind someone,if the amber DRL's are on I know rain-sense if off, but it headlights are on and its sunny out, I know rain-sense is active. The system actually works extremely well at adjusting, and its a little more intelligent then just using a hose on the windshield. I would probably use a mister, or spray bottle to more accurately simulate the rain on the windshield. 3rd: I now open the floor to all of the jokes about my 2008 STS 1SB with the platinum badge on the back. :)...still the best car I've ever owned.
You are a scholar and a gentleman! Cheers to you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts