Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, in September the check engine came on in our SRX. I took the car to my local Cadillac dealer and after diagnoses I was informed that the car needed a Timing Chain and would cost approx. $2500 plus tax to repair. I was appalled. The car only has 77k miles on it. How could a part like this fail so prematurely? I have a 2007 Tahoe with 220k on it with the original timing chain. This car is well taken care of and is in excellent condition. I have had all preventative maintenance service preformed at the dealer since I’ve owned the car.

I began doing some research and upon completing my due diligence I found this was a common problem with the GM 3.0L engine. I fact in the 2008-2009 SRX models, the warranty period was extended to 10 years or 150K miles because of this issue. The Service Manager at the dealership told me that they’ve repaired several hundred of these engines with the same problem in 2010 to 2013 models.

I guess my question is" Does the timing chain really need replaced." It's not making any noise what so ever. How can I clear the P0017 code.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
635 Posts
Your Tahoe is an OHV engine with one camshaft with no phasing, and the single timing chain makes one short loop around the cam and crank sprockets. There is no monitoring of the chain or amount of slack or lash, and would continue functioning, unbeknownst to the operator, with reduced power and fuel economy until it fails completely.

OHC engines and in particular DOHC engines like in your SRX have multiple camshafts with variable cam phasing, and longer and more complicated chain loops which require shorter maintenance intervals. The computer monitors the cam phasing and detects small amounts of variance, triggering the check engine light. Because it's a transverse (sideways mounted) engine complicates the chain replacement and increases the amount of labor involved in the repair.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
1 Posts
We just had the timing chain replaced on our 2010 SRX with a little over 64,000 miles on vehicle. This appears to be a carry over problem from 1st generation SRX's. I have a call into Cadillac Service Center and waiting for a call back from a Service manager. It cost $1,778.29 to have replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any luck with Cadillac directly? I have the same issue and was told that they cannot comment on whether this is a known issue with the 2nd generation models and said I was out of luck cause warranty had expired.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,914 Posts
Any luck with Cadillac directly? I have the same issue and was told that they cannot comment on whether this is a known issue with the 2nd generation models and said I was out of luck cause warranty had expired.
You think?

·
Registered
SRX 2010
3 Posts
I just found out my 2010 Cadillac SRX with 100K miles is in need of a timing chain. The cost to repair: $3,700....I'm heartbroken and as a single father....I DON'T HAVE IT.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
75 Posts
Totally sucks. You should shop around, that quoted cost looks a little high. All luxury brands usually carry a higher maintenance cost due to perceived owner affluence and parts mark up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a SRX 2010. After 102,000kms we had to change the timing chain prematurely ~ this cost us $3200 cdn. Now after only 72,000 kms we are in need of changing it again. Looking up information timing chains should atleast last 150,000 to 200,000 kms. So in both cases we were well under that. We are so very disappointed. We called Cadillac customer service on Friday July 3rd/2020 and as of July 13th we still have not had any response to our complaint. We have phoned numerous times during this time and were promissed on Wednesday July 8th that we would be called back by the latest by friday July 10th. We have waited patiently and have tried and remained hopeful ~ every day has been so difficult not knowing what their response will be. I am now so extremely disappointed in Cadillac that they have still not contacted us as of July and have kept us in limbo this way ~ I never would think that this brand of car would treat their customers this way and I think buyers should BEWARE of this poor service. Many people I have shared our situation feel we should contact CBC News Marketplace. I am beginning to concur. Have any of you had any luck with Cadillac about their issues?

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can purchase the timing set from rock auto here: More Information for CLOYES 90753S for $280 and replace the timing set yourself. Here is a good youtube video on how to do it:
Same thing here on my 2010. I’m doing it myself after watching your awesome video! Dealer wants $3k.

Question is this: since the cams are exposed for this install, I’m considering upgrading the cams while I’m at it pot a power boost before loading my Trifecta tune.

Do you (or anyone) know which cams to go with for this 3.0 motor, any anything else I can add/do for more power while I have the motor torn apart?

Thanks for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts