Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at many posts on here the last few days and everyone is really helpful and knowledgeable. I am looking for your opinions and thoughts regarding my wife's vehicle.

Here is the situation: SRX has been at the dealership for two weeks now. When the check engine light came on we took it in and the diagnostic showed code p0017, timing chain. I've read all about the timing chain issues with this model and my wife's car has 125,000 miles and has been a good car so we decided to get the work done and keep it another 5 plus years. Well they installed the timing chain incorrectly, their admission, and it slipped when they tried to crank it up. Had to start all over, mechanic said it only slipped or was off 1 notch; which he could not have known till he took it all a part again.

My fear is permanent damage to valves and pistons, they claim no internal damage as a result of their error, however; since then there is a new issue and they can't figure out this new code that comes up: p0174. Dealer says its a feel issue on the front bank and is running rich, they cannot figure out how to fix it or how it started. I looked up the code in its running lean not rich and the issue is from a large vacuum leak somewhere or according to the code a bad intake manifold. All this according to the code that I looked up.

Waiting to hear what to y'all think before I get in a discussion with the service manager today. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and responses!!

·
Registered
2011 SRX Premiun
66 Posts
This is a nightmare!
I have more experience with older engines than newer ones but I don’t believe being off one tooth on the timing chain would cause internal engine damage. A vacuum leak is not terribly hard to locate if that’s the issue. Typically a vacuum leak will make the engine idle faster than it should, that a sure sign of a vacuum leak.

Good luck keep us updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts