Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac SRX Luxury Edition
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...
I get a 'check engine light'...along with various other warnings all of a sudden (service rear axle, tire pressure warning lights and then a total tire pressure system shut-down)...temperature was very cold here in Toronto...minus 18 Celsius (around O Fahrenheit, I think)...I was told that I had 'stretched timing chains' (left cylinder bank solenoid sent a 'code' to the computer to trigger the check engine light, apparently)...but to find out for sure - the engine had to be disassembled (this is a big job)...So, what could I do...?

The SRX has around 94,000 km only (less than 60,000 miles)...and was two months out of the 'GM PowerTrain' warranty.

They offered to pay for the three chains (usually replaced as a set)...($500 Canadian)...but the LABOUR was almost $1800...

I'm trying to get my $3100 extended warranty to pay for it (it SAYS that timing chains are covered, but they're not going for it)...

I'm in 'ongoing negotiations' (read: bugging GM constantly, writing letters to Customer service in Oshawa etc etc)

So far, my 'case' is still open...

We'll see. Anybody have that happen with their 3.0 litre engine at such a low mileage?

I love the car...still...but really this is unacceptable.

By the way, anyone hoping that GM will produce a 'rebadged' Cadillac design version of the AWD Buick Encore? Power is a bitlow, but with the right 'toys' and Cadillac 'cues', I'd buy one...I'm going to downsize at some point...but would like to say in a Caddie...

TORONTO-SRX

12,778 Posts
Hello all...
I get a 'check engine light'...along with various other warnings all of a sudden (service rear axle, tire pressure warning lights and then a total tire pressure system shut-down)...temperature was very cold here in Toronto...minus 18 Celsius (around O Fahrenheit, I think)...I was told that I had 'stretched timing chains' (left cylinder bank solenoid sent a 'code' to the computer to trigger the check engine light, apparently)...but to find out for sure - the engine had to be disassembled (this is a big job)...So, what could I do...?

The SRX has around 94,000 km only (less than 60,000 miles)...and was two months out of the 'GM PowerTrain' warranty.

They offered to pay for the three chains (usually replaced as a set)...($500 Canadian)...but the LABOUR was almost $1800...

I'm trying to get my $3100 extended warranty to pay for it (it SAYS that timing chains are covered, but they're not going for it)...

I'm in 'ongoing negotiations' (read: bugging GM constantly, writing letters to Customer service in Oshawa etc etc)

So far, my 'case' is still open...

We'll see. Anybody have that happen with their 3.0 litre engine at such a low mileage?

I love the car...still...but really this is unacceptable.

By the way, anyone hoping that GM will produce a 'rebadged' Cadillac design version of the AWD Buick Encore? Power is a bitlow, but with the right 'toys' and Cadillac 'cues', I'd buy one...I'm going to downsize at some point...but would like to say in a Caddie...

TORONTO-SRX
Hey TORONTO-SRX,

I'm glad to see you love your SRX, and I see that you have a case open with our Canadian team, who are in the best position to assist you with this issue. If you'd like me to look into your case further or if you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Sincerely,

Geoff G.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Case closed? I got the bad news from 'Doug' at GM Customer Service (Cadillac) in Oshawa yesterday. They are not going to cover any of the labour. I'd be very happy if even 1/2 of the labour was paid...especially since I had to pay for TWO synthetic oil changes in two weeks...and also in view of the fact that the 'extended' aftermarket warranty I was 'encouraged to purchase' will not cover any part of it. At least GM covered the cost of the chains (probably dealer cost would have been less than $350)...The labour is the killer here. Why would I buy a vehicle whose timing chains 'stretched' at 94,000 km? Less than sixty thousand miles on a CADILLAC engine - and it needs new timing chains? Now I'm wondering if the sprockets were also worn...It would be great if Mother GM in the States would help me with this...I want to be a Cadillac driver still...but this shakes my confidence!

----------

Thanks for the comments - Geoff G. (Cadillac Customer Care in the States)...but I doubt if you can help me...the Canadian operation seems pretty much separate...

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Question.... It is a known fact that GM made a programming change to the Oil Change Interval because of the issue with the timing change. This should be a no brainer for them to split the cost assuming that the car shows it was maintained according to the manufactures specs. I am not saying that if it is out of warrantee that GM should be responsible, but.... from what I have read they acknowledge that Oil Starvation due to the extended DEFAULT Oil change interval has something to do with this, the OEM warrantee should reflect an extension due to the acknowledged problem. Just Sayn,,,,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a third party warranty that was sold to me when I purchased the vehicle (pre-owned)...It specifically states 'TIMING CHAINS' as coverage items...I wonder if the oil change interval change by GM that is mentioned a few posts earlier, has something to do with their refusal to cover my labour costs?

----------

Hi...The programming change to the oil change interval was for 4 cylinder 'balance shaft' GM motors (like in the Equinox)...and it's not the timing chain - it's the 'balance shaft' chain - driven off the crankshaft...All the same, if THAT chain-driven shaft was suspected of wearing out too fast due to oiling issues, surely the timing chains (all THREE of them on the GMC V6) must also have issues with wearing prematurely...

----------

Hello Geoff - at Cadillac...There was a programming change to the oil change interval for 4 cylinder 'balance shaft' GM motors (like in the Equinox) for the 'balance shaft' chain - driven off the crankshaft...All the same, if THAT chain-driven shaft was suspected of wearing out too fast due to oiling issues, surely the timing chains (all THREE of them on the GMC V6) likely have issues with wearing prematurely...I'm considering sending a registered letter to the 'third party' insurer that is SUPPOSED to be covering this - but isn't...Since they DID find worn chains, should not this be be reason for them to cover my claim? I'm getting the run-around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts