Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!

My 2010 SRX power lift gate will not open (remote, door button or manually). Its not the remote, not the door button, not the fuse, and not my muscles. The lights flash, but no lift gate motor sound. I took it in to the Cadillac dealer and apparently they have never seen this happen before. I was informed it is a computer chip malfunction. $800 to replace and it is not under warranty. Wait! :thehand: Shouldn't this be a recall item? I haven't used my trunk space for much more than luggage to the airport. I don't even do the grocery shopping. How this malfunction is my cost to bare is frustrating. Any ideas on how I can bypass the computer system and open manually?

Love this SUV but these electronic malfunctions are frustrating. (stereo, nav, now trunk) A luxury automobile and the trunk doesn't open. :tisk:

:mad: Seething SRX Owner

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Will everyone please stop calling for a recall every time a part fails? I'm sorry it's not working right but parts fail from time to time, especially electronics. A recall is for safety items only.

Does the owner manual describe how to open the lift gate manually?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 CTS
596 Posts
Exactly a recall is for a safety related part. While it's a bummer that your liftgate is broken the only way to not have to spend $ on repairs is to always have a vehicle under warranty.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you read my post again, I "asked" the question if this is a recall item. I didn't say it was a recall. You're right, parts do fail from time to time. If it is a common failure, why should the consumer be stuck with this misfortune. We are talking about failed computer chips.
No, the manual does not address opening the lift gate manually.

----------

You're right Calif Phil. I can continue to pay for warranties on a "luxury" Cadillac or I can go with a vehicle with better reviews and not have to exorbitant warranty costs on top of the payments. I'm sure you understand my frustration. Or not.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
If you read my post again, I "asked" the question if this is a recall item. I didn't say it was a recall. You're right, parts do fail from time to time. If it is a common failure, why should the consumer be stuck with this misfortune. We are talking about failed computer chips.
No, the manual does not address opening the lift gate manually.

----------

You're right Calif Phil. I can continue to pay for warranties on a "luxury" Cadillac or I can go with a vehicle with better reviews and not have to exorbitant warranty costs on top of the payments. I'm sure you understand my frustration. Or not.
The way it reads, it sounds like you wanted it to be a recall. "Should not this be a recall item?"

Anyway, I would be worried you have the infamous moonroof leak that got water down in your liftgate electronics. Now, this IS a recall and you may have some recourse if that is the case.

Open your moonroof and pour some water down each corner drain (front and back). Does the water drain and exit in each wheel well like it should, or does it go somewhere else (BAD)?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
In the meantime, I read this to try to possibly access the rear area until you fix it:

"That said it was still possible to open manually. Place hand in the hatch opening push up on sensor area and it takes some force to open and close but it will."

·
Registered
2010 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The moonroof drain hoses were replaced last week per the recall. No one mentioned the leak may have affected the lift gate electronics. Thank you for the insight. Now I can ask some intelligent questions when I go back to the dealership.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
The moonroof drain hoses were replaced last week per the recall. No one mentioned the leak may have affected the lift gate electronics. Thank you for the insight. Now I can ask some intelligent questions when I go back to the dealership.
Or, they could have f'ed it up and caused a problem when there was none to begin with. Seems like more than a coincidence this happened a week after they did that. Did it rain recently where you live or go through a car wash (dealer car wash perhaps)?

·
Registered
2010 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both heavy rains in south Florida (the norm) and car wash once a week. I'm awaiting a call back from the service manager.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts