Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
415 Posts
Everyone gets so caught up in fluid color and the truth is modern transmission fluid turns from bright red to brownish-red relatively quickly and that does not indicate it is dirty or needs to be changed.
No fluid lasts longer than 5 years, while being used in a motor vehicle, period. Even oil/fluids on the shelf have a shelf life limit. As a fluid gets darker, it is getting further away from what was poured in it initially.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,744 Posts
No fluid lasts longer than 5 years, while being used in a motor vehicle, period. Even oil/fluids on the shelf have a shelf life limit. As a fluid gets darker, it is getting further away from what was poured in it initially.
And you know this how? Are you an automotive engineeR?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
415 Posts
No. I do have a lot of experience with a lot of car things after 50 years in the business. I just try to give you all what I have and use myself. I am an ex-racer and currently an Amsoil dealer. I personally have tested many fluids and oils over the years and have access to a lot of info.

You don't have to believe if you don't want too.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
107 Posts
Not sure why I'm weighing in on this, but I've owned nearly 100 cars, mostly GMs. All I've ever been concerned with is regular oil changes. No brake flushes, no trans flushes, been years since I flushed a cooling system. Although I recognize that these newer cars are more complex, the statement that fluids only last 5 years can't be correct. Not saying it's not a good idea to do this stuff, but you probably shouldn't lose sleep over it. That said, I'm happy that this was all done to my SRX right before I bought it. I won't be doing any of it again however unless there is a problem. If long term ownership is your goal though, in this guy's opinion, take it to the dealer and write a check. I mean how much we talking here? A few hundred bucks?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
415 Posts
Just ask yourself, why does GM tell you to change your coolant at 5yrs/150,000 miles, or what happens to fluids over time? Anyway, don't worry about it, I'm just trying to help. I do service and repair cars for a living, at a dealer.

Since you've had nearly 100 cars, that means you don't keep them very long. I don't think that I've had more than 20, so I seldom keep my cars less than 10 years, unless I didn't like it. I'm currently on my last 2 vehicles for the wife and me, a 2014 and a '15. I Plan to keep them until 1 of us dies first, and I have no extended warranty, so good maintenance is key for me.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts