4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay here is the Laundry list 157k miles:

Code for random misfire cylinder 7
Service traction control
Service stabilitrac
Service traction control
3rd time in 5 months passenger headlight blew out

Started on misfire. Changed plugs and wires, moved coil pack from 7 to 3. Misfire stayed on 7.
Thinking piston rings or valve spring. Spark plug throwing spark.
Misfire stops when some of the wires get moved accidentally so also thinking bad ground.

note when misfire stops all warning lights go off on the dash and engine runs smooth

Appears previous owner had the same issue as many of the wires show signs that a prong type tester was used directly on the wires through insulation to test for continuity.

Reading other forums been finding other owners of this vehicle having the same issue but none offer a solution that worked. One said to replace ground strip however mine appears new and with no corrosion breaks.

Also when testing wires from the computer mechanic said the signal going to cylinder 7 coil pack wasn't right. Could be bad computer but still thinks its a faulty ground some place.

I dont see any recall Info on this issue, anybody else run into this problem? What did you do?

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, 1999 ETC, 2012 ESV Premium
192 Posts
okay here is the Laundry list 157k miles:

Code for random misfire cylinder 7
Service traction control
Service stabilitrac
Service traction control
3rd time in 5 months passenger headlight blew out

Started on misfire. Changed plugs and wires, moved coil pack from 7 to 3. Misfire stayed on 7.
Thinking piston rings or valve spring. Spark plug throwing spark.
Misfire stops when some of the wires get moved accidentally so also thinking bad ground.

note when misfire stops all warning lights go off on the dash and engine runs smooth

Appears previous owner had the same issue as many of the wires show signs that a prong type tester was used directly on the wires through insulation to test for continuity.

Reading other forums been finding other owners of this vehicle having the same issue but none offer a solution that worked. One said to replace ground strip however mine appears new and with no corrosion breaks.

Also when testing wires from the computer mechanic said the signal going to cylinder 7 coil pack wasn't right. Could be bad computer but still thinks its a faulty ground some place.

I dont see any recall Info on this issue, anybody else run into this problem? What did you do?
From what I've read it could be the battery cables, there's also a ground under the drivers seat. Look above the front driveshaft to see if the harness has fallen into contact with it, and damaged the wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got it at a shop I have taken all my vehicles too. He agreed no way it should require a new engine. He also believes it is a bad ground and has also found other shops in my area have gotten an influx of same make and model with the same problems.

I will go by his shop tomorrow and run the information by him.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, 1999 ETC, 2012 ESV Premium
192 Posts
I've got it at a shop I have taken all my vehicles too. He agreed no way it should require a new engine. He also believes it is a bad ground and has also found other shops in my area have gotten an influx of same make and model with the same problems.

I will go by his shop tomorrow and run the information by him.

Thank you.
Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
933 Posts
The left or odd bank coil harness runs through connector X111.
It is located just above the valve cover in the driver's side of the engine (see attached photo with red circle)

Pin B has the control wire for cylinder #7

I would check for good, tight terminals in that connector and check the orange wire for corrosion. If the wire insulation has been pierced by previous repair attempts there is a very real possibility the wires are corroded inside the insulation. That will cause the intermittent you describe. IMHO people who check wires by poking something through the insulation should be shot on sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a
It is located just above the valve cover in the driver's side of the engine (see attached photo with red circle) View attachment 583538

View attachment 583539 View attachment 583540 View attachment 583541

I would check for good, tight terminals in that connector and check the orange wire for corrosion. If the wire insulation has been pierced by previous repair attempts there is a very real possibility the wires are corroded inside the insulation. That will cause the intermittent you describe. IMHO people who check wires by poking something through the insulation should be shot on sight.
Just an update, I have been moving into a new house and haven't been by My mechanics to see if he has any updates. I only left this message because I didn't want you guys to think I got it right and bounced.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,557 Posts
Just a

Just an update, I have been moving into a new house and haven't been by My mechanics to see if he has any updates. I only left this message because I didn't want you guys to think I got it right and bounced.
Thanks very much... whatever you find, please let us know?

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,557 Posts
It is located just above the valve cover in the driver's side of the engine (see attached photo with red circle) View attachment 583538

View attachment 583539 View attachment 583540 View attachment 583541

Are those All-Data circuit diagrams or Mitchells or ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find.
Okay so My mechanic decided to pull the engine out. Found out the rings in cylinder 7 were broken. Found an engine with 75k miles and put it in.

Throttle control sensor needed to be replaced
Mass Airflow needed to be replaced
Crankshaft position sensor needed to be replaced.

Drove for new years about 200 miles and Rpm grange dropped to 0
Check engine came on
Stablitrac came on
Sat over night went to drive it to a shop and wouldn't start needed a tow.

Thought maybe fuel pump but shop said its got pressure and reading crankshaft position sensor. Shop closed at 6pm Friday and doesn't open until Monday. Last word was he has to probe a bit more because its got some kind of electrical issue, the Crankshaft sensor looked okay but still won't crank manually or by using remote start.
Turn the key it cranks but won't turn over
Remote start lights flash but no crank.

I asked my normal mechanic if a relearn was done on the crankshaft position sensor and he said no. Local GM dealership is saying it shouldn't have needed it but the mechanic 200 miles away says its MANDATORY to re-learn the system either with a computer or monitored road miles and speed. Best to use the computer.

Got to wait until Monday to see what he says.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay so My mechanic decided to pull the engine out. Found out the rings in cylinder 7 were broken. Found an engine with 75k miles and put it in.

Throttle control sensor needed to be replaced
Mass Airflow needed to be replaced
Crankshaft position sensor needed to be replaced.

Drove for new years about 200 miles and Rpm grange dropped to 0
Check engine came on
Stablitrac came on
Sat over night went to drive it to a shop and wouldn't start needed a tow.

Thought maybe fuel pump but shop said its got pressure and reading crankshaft position sensor. Shop closed at 6pm Friday and doesn't open until Monday. Last word was he has to probe a bit more because its got some kind of electrical issue, the Crankshaft sensor looked okay but still won't crank manually or by using remote start.
Turn the key it cranks but won't turn over
Remote start lights flash but no crank.

I asked my normal mechanic if a relearn was done on the crankshaft position sensor and he said no. Local GM dealership is saying it shouldn't have needed it but the mechanic 200 miles away says its MANDATORY to re-learn the system either with a computer or monitored road miles and speed. Best to use the computer.

Got to wait until Monday to see what he says.
If this vehicle becomes a lemon find you yourself an older escalade preferably between 2002-2006 that is in good condition, 2002 is the best and go fix one up a bit and it should last you a long time if it was previous taken care of such as having the fluids changed regularly. The newer Escalades have so much problems it's ridiculous because the newer they get the cheaper the parts are made and they come from Mexico and China instead off USA made parts that are quality. The best Escalades that were built to last and were mostly made in the USA were from 2002-2006 but the 2002 has the least problems.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,539 Posts
So thats what mine did other day, tach at zero, ran terrible barely started. Few hours later started and ran just fine.

You mean to say it cranks (which is turning over) but not firing. In my case missing really bad

remote start doesnt work if an engine light is on.

what a crappy deal for ya. How in the heck were the rings toast on only cylinder 7 on the first motor.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.