Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: confirmed this is the issue, posting updates/pics as we fix it if it helps anyone else in the future.

Posting here to see if anyone has advise or experience with this...driving to work today and everything has been normal on the car and suddenly there was a loud high pitched grinding/whirling/winding sound from something transmission related. Stopped asap, pushed off the road, and got it towed.

Sounds like an issue with the output shaft that I read a TSB for.

Not sure though we haven't opened it all up to check yet.

When you put it in drive at a dead stop it windes and grinds again but when up in the air all 4 tires still spin a little while just in drive, no throttle. No warning signs leading up to this. 107k miles sport wagon 3.6

Any advice appreciated!

· Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,928 Posts
Lots of people have experience with this, myself included. First, check the driveshaft bolts. Those are the easiest fix. If the bolts are fine, then it's an output shaft failure, and that's a rebuild. Luckily, mine happened while I had warranty coverage. It's not a cheap job from the dealer.

· Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,677 Posts
Well your best bet is to see what the mechanics say. If you can check the axles to see if the bolts backed out sometimes when that happens it apparently takes out the transmission. Then you have to replace the transmission and likely the axle shaft.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah good point we will check everything we can first. I read on other posts it was over $3000 from the dealer. We are capable of doing it ourselves it's just a pain and time consuming, we have it on the lift now to try and get it diagnosed, sad day, I literally just bought this car last month haha

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well your best bet is to see what the mechanics say. If you can check the axles to see if the bolts backed out sometimes when that happens it apparently takes out the transmission. Then you have to replace the transmission and likely the axle shaft.
Checked and it's not this, we will see tomorrow what a dealer says or what we find taking it apart ?

· Registered
2008 CTS4
1 Posts
Just had the same thing on Friday with my 08 CTS4, it’s an output shaft failure, was advised because of the high mileage to rebuild the transfer case with the transmission because both have upgraded parts for them. Hope that helps

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had the same thing on Friday with my 08 CTS4, it’s an output shaft failure, was advised because of the high mileage to rebuild the transfer case with the transmission because both have upgraded parts for them. Hope that helps
Thanks for the response, sucks that it happened to us, it was nothing we could avoid at all. I'm hoping everything else is ok when we open it up and that nothing huge other than this needs to be done, we will see. It's making me nervous, I just want my car to be ok, I already miss it!

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks. Whats the build month/year of your CTS?
It's a 2010, made in November 2009 if I remember right. Cts4, 3.6

A1:

Wow, that looks terrible. All the teeth sheared off of the splined shaft?

-steve
Yeah, all rusted and all the teeth stripped off ? ordered the parts from Rock Auto, $480 after tax and 2 day shipping...still need to order/buy fluids for everything though too.

· Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,928 Posts
Those rusted and stripped teeth indicate that is the old (original) shaft design that failed. Be sure to get the new improved shaft seals for the new shaft.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those rusted and stripped teeth indicate that is the old (original) shaft design that failed. Be sure to get the new improved shaft seals for the new shaft.
Yeah definitely! We made sure of that, don't want this issue again...what a pain it's been.

How's the converter?
Everything else seems fine we made sure to check it over, generally when this part fails it won't impact anything else I guess, thankfully!

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
17,625 Posts
Yeah definitely! We made sure of that, don't want this issue again...what a pain it's been.

Everything else seems fine we made sure to check it over, generally when this part fails it won't impact anything else I guess, thankfully!
Very interested in seeing additional posts as you proceed with the repairs.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/QUOTE]
Very interested in seeing additional posts as you proceed with the repairs.[/QUOTE]

We will be working on it over the weekend, I definitely plan to post as we go along to help others! and I'll post the parts and special/weird tools we needed along the way.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got a little further this weekend...took a while to get the starter out (3 hours), and also to get the clutches lined up correctly in the transmission (4 hours). He got the transmission back up and half bolted into the car last night, hoping to finish putting the car back together today, then adding/replacing the fluids tomorrow, Doing an oil change and diff fluids since the cars up on the lift already.

I bought the trans fluid from the dealer for 9.60 a qt (7 qts), and transfer case oil 15.99 for 1 bottle - both ACdelco brand. Puts us at about $565 so far for parts/fluids for this repair, not counting the oil and diff fluids we will also be changing on top of that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts