Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day recently I started the car, drove off, and it was riding like a tank on rocks. No rebound whatsoever. Well maybe a little. Smooth asphault is good. Concrete bounces my butt.

Hard as a rock. All four corners.

Sport/Tour does not matter. It is the same. The only problem I have had with them is a back one began to leak 3 or 4 years ago. I replaced both.

I have seen nothing posted on this. I will check my fuses this weekend, but I am suspicious it is something else. I have had nothing come up indicating suspension problems. I do have an on and off check engine light, but it always passes my Texas inspection. About 6 or 8 years of inspections.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
Have the car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes at any parts store. Use this link to decipher any codes found and post it all here.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
How many miles? How often do you drive your car?

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles? How often do you drive your car?
209,000 miles. It was a road car. It will be about a half a quart low after 10,000 miles. Amsoil 5-30 Signature Oil every 10,000 and Amsoil filter every 5,000 miles. It uses a half a quart every 5,000 miles. I am putting it out to pasture.

To update, I checked the fuses and it had blown a $5 30 amp breaker. So, against my better judgement I replaced it and it promptly blew again. I figure I have a pinched wire somewhere, probably the rears, which are the ones that Sewell Cadillac replaced about 75,0000 miles ago. Oh, do not believe that they are anything other than a run-of-the-mill dealer. There may be some good dealers out there, but Sewell has the bigger advertising budget. I have had plenty of bad experiences, but no more.

I did the scan and it spit out a P0300, a random misfire, and a P0336, a crankshaft position sensor A circuit. That's it. The good news is that it finally explains my 100,000 mile intermittent check engine light. It comfortably passes inspection, light or not. It has run exactly the same for the last 190,000 miles. If I were to keep it I would do spark plugs, wires, and the other 100,000 mile stuff. I would check the crank position sensor too, but I doubt it is bad. That car has never spit its entire life. It did blow clouds of blue smoke at startup on occasion, but that was easily and cheaply solved and involved no mechanics.

By the way, original alternator, fuel pump, a/c compressor, starter, power steering and rack, no suspension or driveline peices, etc. Front brakes went at 170,000 miles, so I did the back ones as well.

I can still put my foot in it, redline it through a few gears, and feel comfortable that it is not about to blow.

So I will take it in tomorrow and put my independents to work. We will see how close I am with this guess.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Sounds as if it doesn't owe you a dime. Good car. Did you mod it?

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds as if it doesn't owe you a dime. Good car. Did you mod it?
No modifications. I learned from my 1990 SHO that after spending thousands of dollars I still had a 325hp SHO that was just an SHO. I got my mileage out of it (330,000), but I learned that modding cars I am putting on the road is of no value. If I want something that will run, then buy it and run it, not mod it. It only took me 35 years to come to that realization.

I love my V and would have bought a new one with a manual or dual clutch. But I settled on a Z06/Z07 manual, which shall remain unmodded permanently. After the 700R4 debacle I flinch at high horsepower applications for any automatic without a build.

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the latest. I am blowing a 30 amp fuse suspension fuse. My rear shocks are gone. They are not just seeping, they are covered in oil and need to be replaced. But I am still concerned about the 30 amp fuse blowing. Would that be caused by the rear shock failures?

·
Registered
15,041 Posts
That one I don't know how to help. Possibly a broken wire somewhere is all I can guess. Multimeter time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts