Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought my 2010 back in Jan of this year with 37k on it. It now has 42k. In August I was on a 3 hour road trip and went to pass a car on his highway. When I accelerated to go around I got the reduced power and service traction control messages. So I limped my car back home to my local dealer to get it fixed. The said they replaced the throttle body. A week later went on another road trip and made it into the city. Was only going 20 mpg and went on give it gas to go around someone and the same thing again. Dealership in the city replaced the pigtail wiring and all was good again. Well last night I went to pass someone on the highway again and same results. I pulled the 2101 code and it's still the same problem. The car was under warranty the first 2 times in the shop, now it's out of warranty. I'm at a lost of what my options are here and really frustrated. Any ideas of best way to approach this would be appreciated! Thanks.
P.S. Sorry for the long story

·
Registered
2015 ATS Performance 3.6 AWD Black Diamond Tricoat
77 Posts
Are you out of the 5yr powertrain warranty? Is this not a powertrain issue?

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
The car was under warranty the first 2 times in the shop, now it's out of warranty.
I'm at a lost of what my options are here and really frustrated.
2nd time in shop, what was the calendar date and odometer miles?

Any Cadillac Dealer(?) should stand behind diagnosis/repair for a reasonable period of time/miles,
even if vehicle is now out of mfr's warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First dealership said the drivetrain only covered the major interior of the engine and drivetrain. First service date was 8/19 with 42,345 mileage and second was 8/22 with 42,721

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
clownin72,

With 2 prior Repair Orders in hand, I'd go back to local dealer and tell Svc. Mgr. that within past 60 days or so, when car still under GM warranty, the problem was possibly misdiagnosed because repair was ineffective. Accordingly, I'd ask GM and the dealership to stand behind prior warranty work and perform additional required repair at no cost.

Based on past experience with GM and my local Cadillac dealer, I'd expect repair at no cost or, worst case, perhaps a ~50% cost-sharing split (actually, my last 90-days-out-of-warranty cost-sharing split for replacement of HID headlight assembly was 80/20% in my favor).

12,886 Posts
Ok I bought my 2010 back in Jan of this year with 37k on it. It now has 42k. In August I was on a 3 hour road trip and went to pass a car on his highway. When I accelerated to go around I got the reduced power and service traction control messages. So I limped my car back home to my local dealer to get it fixed. The said they replaced the throttle body. A week later went on another road trip and made it into the city. Was only going 20 mpg and went on give it gas to go around someone and the same thing again. Dealership in the city replaced the pigtail wiring and all was good again. Well last night I went to pass someone on the highway again and same results. I pulled the 2101 code and it's still the same problem. The car was under warranty the first 2 times in the shop, now it's out of warranty. I'm at a lost of what my options are here and really frustrated. Any ideas of best way to approach this would be appreciated! Thanks.
P.S. Sorry for the long story
Hello clownin72,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into trouble with your vehicle. I understand unanticipated vehicle repairs when you're out of warranty can be a pain. I'm happy to contact the dealership on your behalf to see what options might be available. Please private message me your VIN, exact mileage, dealership name and your contact information.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
Given the seriousness of the defect and the possible consequences — which could be deadly in certain circumstances, such as when trying to pass on a 2-lane road — you should probably familiarize yourself with the provisions of your state's lemon law, if it has one.

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Katie I will send a private message later with all my info when I get home from work. Yes I agree it's really dangerous because out here where I live there are mostly 2 lane highways. My 03 cts was the most reliable car I've ever owned. I was hoping the same with this one.

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
Again, check the lemon law in your state – it may give you leverage with both your dealer and GM.

For example, according to the California Attorney General, under our state's lemon law, "What is considered a reasonable number of repair attempts will depend on the circumstances including the seriousness of the defect. For example, one or two repair attempts may be considered reasonable for serious safety defects such as brake failure, depending on the exact situation."

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I just looked at my states lemon law (Oklahoma) and it states 4 attempts to repair within a years time of when it was purchased.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yea I just looked at my states lemon law (Oklahoma) and it states 4 attempts to repair within a years time of when it was purchased.
Applicable only to new vehicle within 1 year of its original delivery date, right? Expired.

Hmm...Lemon Law, Online Cadillac Customer Service, what next? Have you discussed the matter directly with your local servicing dealership's Svc. Mgr., Gen. Mgr. and/or Owner? If yes, what remedy did they offer? If no, well then...

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Applicable only to new vehicle within 1 year of its original delivery date, right? Expired.

Hmm...Lemon Law, Online Cadillac Customer Service, what next? Have you discussed the matter directly with your local servicing dealership's Svc. Mgr., Gen. Mgr. and/or Owner? If yes, what remedy did they offer? If no, well then...
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. No I haven't discussed it with any of the above stated that's why I came here to see if anyone had ideas of what avenues to take before hand. Already contacted the last service department that worked on it and will will message cadillac customer care when I get home from work. Thanks for the insight and input though

12,886 Posts
Thanks Katie I will send a private message later with all my info when I get home from work. Yes I agree it's really dangerous because out here where I live there are mostly 2 lane highways. My 03 cts was the most reliable car I've ever owned. I was hoping the same with this one.
You're welcome, clownin72. I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. After an evening of checking over everything involved with the throttle body and components I found something very interesting in the intake tube. Did some research online and it looks like the original owner or someone along the way decided to install something to try and get better gas mileage . It's like a tornado type tin metal deal. This thing was turned sideways lodged in the intake tube and close to the end right up by the throttle body. Took it out, cleared the fault code and went out on a 45 min test drive. Drove it pretty hard to see if I could get the code to come back and nothing. Seems to have been the problem. I don't know how this never got discovered when I bought it as a certified cadillac or even the trips to the service dept. Hopefully major disaster averted. Just glad I caught it in time. Thanks for all the input and help from Katie.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Wow! I've heard of these gimmicks. What a POS the Tornado is. Shaking my head too that it wasn't found earlier. Good job looking into it yourself and fixing the problem.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,455 Posts
I would be having a discussion with the dealer. If they replaced the throttle body, how did they NOT see something like that? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just hoping it's the fix for sure but I have a good feeling it is. Yes I'm surprised it wasn't detected anywhere along the way. Unless it was way down in the intake tube and worked it's way up close to the throttle body

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
Wow! I've heard of these gimmicks. What a POS the Tornado is. Shaking my head too that it wasn't found earlier. Good job looking into it yourself and fixing the problem.
Yeah, I can't believe the tech didn't see that when he was replacing the throttle body.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,270 Posts
Wow.

First, the gullibility of the previous owner.

But second, and most importantly, Cadillac missing this entirely. I have to wonder if they did anything at all in checking this over. I would be talking with the Service Manager or the owner. There is no excuse on Cadillac's part.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4 3.0 sedan black/black
353 Posts
it's a waste of breath, especially since there's no foul. All they're going to do is shrug
their shoulder's. thanks douglas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts