Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving on the freeway about 70mph, the lower engine shroud on my CTS came unbolted and the airflow pushed it down into the pavement and got half ground to pieces. Being away on vacation, we had to drive up onto a curb to get under the car and take off the last 3 bolts that were still holding it onto the car off and then remove the panel.
Could this have happened because the mechanic that changed the oil didn't retighten the bolts correctly? Or could if of just vibrated loose on its own? I need to replace it now, and don't feel I should have to pay for it. The car is just 8 months old and still in warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
From the moment I read the title, I thought "someone's had a recent oil change". There is no way this shroud would come loose unless it wasn't properly installed. Hopefully the dealer changed the oil as whoever did should pay to fix it.

·
Registered
08 CTS
176 Posts
well at least you got yours back after the oil change. Most don't and the dealer swears that your car did not have one. That's what happened to me. I guess they think you don't need it even tho the factory made the car with this guard installed for a reason.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I think you are right, when they changed the oil, the first oil change, I just got the car new, they didn't screw it back on right. Now I have to try and get it replaced, its about a third destroyed, from grinding on the pavement for a few miles. I wasn't going to go back to that dealership either, they gave me a hard time about a silly coupon discount. Maybe they did this on purpose? LOL
I wonder if it would be ok to leave it off. I read it was to reduce engine noise, but it didn't seem any different driving, maybe its noisier to people outside the car.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
Mine got torn off about a year ago getting caught on a angled approach up a steep driveway. I got a quote of $140 to replace it. I've never bothered and I can't say I've noticed any problems as a result. I'm surprised with all the stuff they drop from the CTS each year that they still put them on the newer models.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to post an update on my problem. It been a week since I called the dealer where I took my CTS to get an oil change, and the person I talked to, gave me the impression that what happened has happened before to others. Great, and she told me she would inform the person that helped me when I brought it in for the oil change and order the part to replace the cover. Well no one has called and I am wondering how long it would take to get that part...I am going to give them until Monday and try calling back to see what is going on. I really don't want that place to touch the car again!

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
When I talked to my service about ordering a replacement, he said they'd just need a couple of days notice to get one ordered in.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Yeah, that should be covered under your warranty. Either the dealership's fault or GM's not yours, that's for sure.

As per the functionality of the deflector I believe that without it your engine may run a bit hotter than it normally does since the airflow isn't exactly as engineered (but nothing to really worry about).

Some cars use the under-body design as a wing to hold the car to the ground at higher speeds, but i'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

·
Registered
CTS
14 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. Driving down the expressway 150 mls from home. I pulled over and could not get it off the rest of the way. Continued to drive home. Took it to the dealer and it was replaced no problem. it took 3 days fro them to order new one and then took in the car to have it installed. They never gave me any hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts