Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m thinking about taking a 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.0 and swapping the engine out with a 2014 3.6 TT. This would be my first engine swap, and I’m looking to see if anyone has done it or has thought about it and what I would need. I’m not really worried about price of the swap. I like the look of the 2008-2013 but not the 2014+. So that is why I don’t want to just get the 2014 cts. Or if anyone has any information about a turbo kit or supercharger kit for the 3.0 I know there’s not really any market out there for the 3.0. I bought the 3.0 as my first car and didn’t know anything about cars then. I just want to make a little more power with either the 3.0 or engine swap it.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
16,047 Posts
Welcome.

You picked a real doozie for your first engine swap.
In all honesty, IF you were successful, you will probably have been money ahead to purchase a used 2nd Gen 3.6 and add a supercharger.

Enjoy your CTS for what it is and save your money for a faster weekend ride.

Reactions: Joseph Upson

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,052 Posts
I paid to have my engine swapped for a GM crate engine in my 2010 3.6L wagon. Cost was approximately $9000. I talked with the mechanic at the Cadillac dealer and he mentioned it was a bitch (and I quote verbatim).

I agree with Long's assessment.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,132 Posts
Hello, I’m thinking about taking a 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.0 and swapping the engine out with a 2014 3.6 TT. This would be my first engine swap, and I’m looking to see if anyone has done it or has thought about it and what I would need. I’m not really worried about price of the swap. I like the look of the 2008-2013 but not the 2014+. So that is why I don’t want to just get the 2014 cts. Or if anyone has any information about a turbo kit or supercharger kit for the 3.0 I know there’s not really any market out there for the 3.0. I bought the 3.0 as my first car and didn’t know anything about cars then. I just want to make a little more power with either the 3.0 or engine swap it.
Consider a properly installed nitrous kit in a practical power range as someone else recently posted about having done on a 3.0L here, (except for the proper install part), or looking for a turbo, or supercharger install which at the moment is not cost effective in my opinion, due to the asking price, when used 3.6L cars can be had real cheap as a performance build project and if you blow it up, you still have your daily.

The problem with the supercharger/turbo kits is that they tend to be far more expensive than they need to be for aftermarket performance, in a daily driven, non tracked car, that by the time an owner is willing to make such a commitment, the vehicle is well out of warranty and worth about the same as the kit. Garrett, Tial, Precision, etc is great for competition, or brand new cars, but there are cheaper alternatives that still offer good, reliable dependability, the difficulty is getting them installed and setup properly.

If you're going to consider an engine swap, consider an engine swap and install a V8 for the same trouble. You don't want to be the guy that swapped a 3.0L for a 3.6L. That will definitely end up being a "What was I thinking" moment at some point in your life.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,519 Posts
Not going to work. The ATS-V was wider at the shock towers to incorporate the twin turbo setup. You do NOT have room in a 2nd gen CTS to install one. Already checked that one out otherwise I would have already done that swap.

As far as doing a V-8 swap. Someone else has already done that swap. I would be very comfortable to say that swapping to a 3.6 and throwing the Will Overkill SC kit on there would be cheaper than what the costs of sticking a V-8 would be. Going to a V8 will require changing many other components and integrating them to work together. You can get the V setup but it will be a lot more money than a SC 3.6.

When looking at 3.6's you want either the LLT or the LFX. The LFX has some features that allow it to be lighter and a little more powerful than the LLT. The challenge with either of these engines is to get them to work with the PCM in your car. The LLT would bolt in and with a reprogram of the PCM would just work out of the box. Not sure what the cost of the LLT is but the LFX can be had for ~$500 for a low mileage complete motor. The LFX will require a 2012 PCM which may not integrate well into your car. Others have done this and have had issues. So do your homework. If you talk to Will he has had sales on his SC for $5000. Which while still a bit costly, still might be cheaper than a decent V8 setup by the time you get the proper drivetrain to go with it.

One last note... The Will Overkill SC will most definitely work with the 3.0. You may want to get a E85 kit to go with it though to gain the power you loose to the .6 loss in size.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,132 Posts
As far as doing a V-8 swap. Someone else has already done that swap. I would be very comfortable to say that swapping to a 3.6 and throwing the Will Overkill SC kit on there would be cheaper than what the costs of sticking a V-8 would be.
Not sure what an SC kit costs, but my recollection is in the $4-5k range and LLT motors are the most expensive used 3.6L of the bunch last I checked, coming in at ~$2k, or more with 6 digit mileage. Running wrecks with the appropriate drive train can be had for about $2k +/- at auctions. No sense in swapping the motor at all if bolting on a power adder, especially not for .6 more liters of displacement. He already has more hp than the LY7 and is down 30 lb-ft

and this will fix that little gap and then some.
If your looking for "a little more power" as you said just do a 50 shot of nitrous
This is some good stuff,

·
Super Moderator
16,047 Posts
Nitrous doesn't kill engines, people kill engines.
Been safely running Nos on my mower for years now ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,047 Posts
You should keep that bottle on the ice in the box you have on the back, with the other bottles and cans.
That's a parachute in case things get crazy on the back 40.

Reactions: Dano636

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,052 Posts
Nitrous doesn't kill engines, people kill engines.
Been safely running Nos on my mower for years now ;)

View attachment 581860
You had to have read where some dumbass actually poured that stuff into the tank of his bike, ruined it and he was so stupid he actually posted on his forum about it!

·
Super Moderator
16,047 Posts
You had to have read where some dumbass actually poured that stuff into the tank of his bike, ruined it and he was so stupid he actually posted on his forum about it!
Too funny.
I added that bottle to the mower after the wife asked if there was something I could do to mow the yard faster.
Cutting grass on laughing gas!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
No mention of the ATS-V here red. I'm talking bolt on kits, although the LF3/LF4 will indeed work with the OE turbos removed and replaced with mid mounts.
He asked if the 3.6 with the twin turbos and I was responding to that. As I understood it the turbos are integrated into the heads. And the strut towers were widened to make the engine fit. So in that case no, it will not fit in the CTS without major work.

If in fact you can separate the turbos from the manifolds and work the exhausts to go to the turbos then it is possible but you will be mounting the turbos elsewhere and at that point you might as well keep the 3.0 and either go with the SC that is already available or have a turbo kit done. I have seen the ones Tracey does and they are either mounted near the Transmission if there is room or back by the mufflers.

The 3.0 can certainly make serious power. But if you REALLY want to maximize the power it can put out you can always upgrade to the LLT or LFX first as was already pointed out then add a remote twin turbo system or the SC that can be bolted on in a weekend. The LFX comes in these cars and should be the easiest update. Plus with the engines available from the junkyards for cheap it becomes a near no brainer. The 3.6 with FI can make upwards of 450whp with little modification. With more modifications there are Camaros putting out nearly 600whp with the LFX and SC. Watching a guy who suggests when the tracks open back up his RWD CTS will be pushing sub 11 second 1/4 mile times due to his upgrades. Or you can spend about 4x the price and put a super charged V8 in. Which might be more fun but will require changing most of the driveline to do it right. Great deal if you can get a smashed CTS-V as a doner then you might get it down near 10k for a swap.

Just depends on your goals... Mine I will be putting a super charger on it and calling it a day. At most may do some engine upgrades but since I hope to by a Vagon in a couple years I don't expect to do much more than add a little more power to my current car. (Ultimately would love to have a Vagon and last year CTS-V)

Rodney

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,132 Posts
He asked if the 3.6 with the twin turbos and I was responding to that.... If in fact you can separate the turbos from the manifolds and work the exhausts to go to the turbos then it is possible but you will be mounting the turbos elsewhere and at that point you might as well keep the 3.0 and either go with the SC that is already available or have a turbo kit done.
In that case any of the recommendations are within the budget. Those motors are not cheap and will require extensive work to integrate. The turbos are not integrated to the heads, the manifolds are integral to the turbos, and they can be swapped out for better flowing turbos in a different location, typically mid to low mount which is very common if not most and there is a high power output kit available that does that for the ATS-V.

I believe the SC alone is more than sufficient and makes the added expense of swapping the motor on top of it unnecessary. He could also build the 3.0 with aftermarket rods and custom pistons for about the same cost, or a little more and have a bullet proof motor capable of what the 3.0L Supras drill out.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes, when considering cost, the Will Overkill SC kit IS compatible with the 3.0. If he hasn't done one yet for that year he likely would do it at a price break. I don't know what is the same in the 3.0 and the LLT but I know I have seen people talking about LY7, LLT and LFX all being very similar motors. I believe the 3.0 was a DI engine that replaced the LY7 as the "low performance" version. I don't know how much power would be lost using a 3.0 compared to a 3.6 but again, swapping in an LLT or LFX would likely be the easiest upgrade and then throw the Supercharger on it and call it a day.

Otherwise you can ask the member on here that installed a 6.2 into a CTS, but it seemed like he had a lot of issues to work out that MOST people would just say throw a SC on it .

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.