Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the pump powered by any other relay or fuse besides the marked ones at the underhood box?

My windshield washer seems to have quit, my headlights washer still works.

I initially thought it was low fluid, despite no dic warning. I was able to put a full bottle of fluid in, but still nothing. I am not discounting blocked/frozen lines since i do live near Detroit, but i cannot hear the pump even run. Checked the fuse and swapped the relay. Not sure if there is another fuse/relay elsewhere like the trunk block, or if GM routed power through a 2nd circuit that could be out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Try pulling the hose off one of the nozzles and see if fluid comes out when you press the button.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i will check next time. Was about to check the pump itself but my multimeter and test light both ran away with each other it appears.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
As far as I know, the pump is only powered by 1 fuse, the 5 amp (I think 5, it's red) one under the hood. Is your issue temperature dependent? Mine stops working at -8F. I know it's not the fluid because I took a sample of the fluid out of the reservoir and left it outside exposed to -15F temp in a clear plastic container. The fluid did not freeze, but anything below -8F and the pump stops. As soon as the temps go back up, the pump works. It's probably not the problem, but it took me a while to recognize the temperature trend with mine, so I thought I'd mention it for a possibility.

·
Registered
2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )
123 Posts
Mine was clogged a while ago from I think was dried pieces of old fluid. I cleaned it out and worked good as new. I also re-added the heated washer fluid unit. I love that thing. Has came in handy this winter a bunch of times!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it's not temperature dependent. Though there hasn't been much variance in temps here other then cold and damn cold. As such i have put off working on this till tomorrow. I had to track down a heater for my garage. Its supposed to be near or below zero here.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6
54 Posts
Where is the pump located? Im having a similar problem but not getting fluid to the windshield but the headlights are getting washed. Also what is the story behind the heated washer fluid, was there problems with it?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pump is underneath the passenger headlight housing. You can get to it through the wheel well if you remove the liner.

And the heating units shorted out and started fires if I remember right.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
The nozzle is what is probably clogged. Someone mentioned in a recent thread to try denatured alcohol while you drink nature's alcohol!

I was talking with the Audi dealer two weeks ago and they no longer put washer fluid in the ww tanks any longer. They had problems with nozzles clogging, so now they only use water. I mentioned they should change their fluid brand, but that didn't go over well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
first post here for me...MY CTS windshield washer flow was minimal at best. After removing my pump and the rubber fitting from the tank, I removed what looked like a lump of snot from around the perforated end of the rubber fitting. Pumps like a fire hose now! Now to replace those broken nozzles...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts