Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2009 SRX Northstar - New owner, problems

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  LisaCatera 
#1 ·
Greetings forum members. I'm the new (about 2 wks now) of a '09 SRX, NorthStar powered, with 71k miles on the odo. It's a one owner car & was well cared for by it previous owner. So far I really like it......a lot. But, when driving over rough roads it squeaks, groans and rattles like an old buggy!

Research here points to control arms so that's where I'm going to start. I'd totally forgotten all about the SRX until I saw a gentleman driving one through my "Over 55" community a month ago. So I immediately started searching for possible candidates nearby knowing that here in Southern California the chance of finding one would be "slim to none". Amazingly, I found this one in LA. I knew he was having a hard time moving it because everyone wants imports here. So, after a few weeks (yes few weeks) of negotiations he met my price.

Now, I need to get rid of that rough ride! This vehicle doesn't frighten me at all because my "garage queen" is a 1993, BMW 850Ci, V12 power & currently showing 162,000 miles and still manages to pass the ridiculous California smog test! The Northstar actually reminds me a lot of the V12 as far as acceleration & torque.

#2 ·
Welcome to the party. My 2004 with 85000 miles has none of those maladies (riding on rugged Great Lakes roads), so I'm surprised something from Smoothville California has worn suspension. Maybe all the ozone in the air eats up the elastomer bushings? Anyway, good luck on your rehab program.

#4 ·
Squeaks and creaks- many times it is door/window/sunroof rubber gaskets, nylon 'guides' for seat, sunroof, various stuff, leather/vinyl rubbing on seatbelt housings/trim parts, loose window regulators/door latches.

And bushings outside. They usually need replaced, lube, typically, makes it worse, or ongoing messing around.

Older T-Top Vettes roof squeak insanely, a dab of Vaseline on rubber/nylon fixed it forever.
Same still applies to all the rubber/plastic/nylon junk, sparingly rub it in/wipe most of it off.
Us folks in freeze climes know what its like to have doors frozen shut...haha

This stuff works great, the modern replacement

#5 ·
Thanks for the kind words & suggestions. Not to confuse anyone but I simply "resurrected" my wife's old forum credentials from back in the day when she owned a Catera. It was a pretty good car until she gave it to a daughter.....nuff said.

I'll update on the resolution of the assorted "noises".

#13 ·
The husband of the OP said "I simply "resurrected" my wife's old forum credentials from back in the day when she owned a Catera ". Soooo, I thought she it was a mistake to begin with about the SRX and that she actually owned a Catera, LOL.

#14 ·
Long story short...the battery died & the Traction Control light illuminated. Pep Boys said the light would eventually go out. Well it didn't so off to Cadillac I go where I was informed the "Electronic Brake Control Module" needed to be reprogrammed...what da? Anyway, Cadillac says the suspension noise is due to worn shocks & upper control arms. And last but not least valve cover gaskets & lower crankcase seal needs to be replaced for the paltry sum of $5,700! Hard to believe that the technology doesn't exist to properly seal mating surfaces of engines for more than 10 years.

I've looked at previous threads regarding control arms but didn't find any recommendations as to OEM or aftermarket. Any insight would be appreciated. As for the failed gaskets there are some young guys specializing in Cadillacs (V-Series) that share shop space with the mechanic that sponsors our bi-annual WrenchFest for our BMW 8series. I'll see if they know anything about the NS.

#17 ·
A quick update...totally replaced entire suspension and this thing rides & handles great. Then, I started getting this horrible rattle on cold start and took it to the dealer. Dealer said it was normal...I thought no way that's normal. Took it to a local garage and left it overnight. Mechanic called me the next day and asked how long has it been "rattling" on cold start? I said a few months now. His next question was when was the last oil change? I said a few months ago at Pep Boys. I heard laughter in the background then he said they used the wrong filter! It wasn't the proper filter for the North* because it didn't have the "anti drain back" valve. They changed the oil and used the correct GM oil filter. No more cold start rattle! Now, if it'd just stop leaking oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.