Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kinda desperate here and I hope you all can help me a bit. Been doing some research on this 5l40e and I seem to be finding a common issue with the torque converter and reverse circuits.The problem is nobody seems to have this issue with the 09. So here is the long version.

I have had no other drive issues until now. I had a issue with the Converter doing that engage and disengage (pulsating) thing. Past experience as a technician, sometimes a flush helps remedy the problem. So I flush the trans and it did help for about 3 days. Third day it stopped moving.
Pulled the pan found out it plugged the filter. I thought ah it happens sometimes no biggy right? wrong.
Pulled the pan off again and replace the solenoid, filter and fluid again. Again better for around 3 days and the Converter started acting up. Ok well couldn't save the converter. So again new filter, this time Amsoil and a new converter. Again 3 days later I now have a whole new issue.

I live in the mountains and have a long up hill 2 mile drive up a gravel road. I always put it manual 1st. This time no manual first or manual anything. It felt like it was in limp mode starting in second gear. Drove a little faster up the hill to keep from over working it. I let the car sit for a few hours and I could manually shift it.
The next morning no reverse but it still moves forward. Which now leads me to here.

I have called the dealer here. They know of no recall for this year and no issues like I am having. Same with the transmission shops I have called. So far I have only got one call back for a new transmission of 3500 bucks. The seller knows of no updates for this transmission.

Here is my concern. Everything I have found says a valve body issue but I have also seen that this transmission has had overheating issues in mountainous areas.

I am hoping that some folks with in the community has hopefully seen some of the issues in a 09. I am kinda stuck. If I remove the valve body have it tested and replaced am I going to have a over heating issue.I am also concerned if it's just rebuilt I am going to have the same issues if the cause is not fixed.

At 120K miles it doesn't seem like I should be having this kind of problem.

One thing I will add. We bought the car 3 years old at 50k. I did take it in once for a erratic/harsh/intermittent down shift usually when it was cold. Could not be duplicated at the dealer of course.

The last time I worked on Cadillac's professionally was 2004 although my transmission experience is limited and definitely no expert nor do I know it all. Hopefully I can get schooled on this really fast, winter is approaching fast.

Another thing I just though of. It needs a carrier bearing, like yesterday. Could that possibly throw off the sensors?
Just because.....My tire pressure sensors are on the frits and I have a passenger front blinker that seems to work only when it wants to.

Any info, links or even you're on the right path buddy would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like a tranny problem yep. You could try the valve body and maybe get lucky it's just plugged with grit. But with 120k miles on the clutch packs and you mentioned overheating that's the death keel of a transmission. IMO if you have already tried the flushing and filling and a new torque converter you are left with few other options. The tranny r/r is about it. A chance it's the solenoid pack but that's really just a chance.

As for differences from old trannys to this one. Not so much different. They still have to shift and have clutch packs and clutch plates that cook when overheated.

Steve

·
Registered
656 Posts
Guessing your torque converter clutch delaminated and that's where the material came from that plugged the suction filter. Pull your valve body and clean it out well, that's just labor. If that doesn't fix it, a clutch pack in the transmission must be the failure.

At that point, you have three options: rebuild yours, salvage yard unit, or a reman.
There are remans on eBay for 2200 bucks. One of the big challenges economically on older cars is transmission failures....does that much make sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Just bites because there is no indication of it slipping when it works. After some thought and your replies think I am just not gonna chance it. What I have spent so far trying to save it could have paid almost half of a new one.
So anyone ever use Powertrain Products? 2208 and 150 shipping
Local they want 3500

·
Registered
255 Posts
What's the warranty length ? And do they require a "new" torque converter for it ? Your installed one isn't new anymore and could be contaminated. (most likely if debris has been distributed thoughout the system)

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just copied the text from the quote I got from them. They seem to be a very large company through out the country. Warranty seems a little far fetched. The car would be dead before it ever reached the mileage. Either they are very confident in there work or a pain to deal with when it comes to warranty.

We offer your transmission remanufactured with our 5 year, 1 million mile, parts and labor warranty.

What sets us apart

• Core charge is waived for 15 days - saving you hundreds in up front cost.
  • Industry leading warranty upgrades- build your coverage as needed to ensure more protection. Powertrain Products warranty upgrades are:
    • 7 year Promise to get up to $100 in labor (Optional)
    • Powertrain Pure Care (No Fault replacement coverage - click here for details) (Optional)
  • In house warranty department - never passing you off to a vendor or manufacturer. If you need us you will be in our care from start to finish.
  • Easy and fast shipping including your core return - we've made it simple and painless.
  • Financing options - accepting Paypal Credit!
  • Friendly and knowledgeable sales staff based here in the USA!
  • What's included:
    • Torque converters are included (Automatics only)
    • All updates and corrections are made to address any known OEM flaws
    • Fully dyno tested, cold and hot to ensure proper operability

• Transmission price with core waived for 15 days & 5 year Promise, 1-million mile, parts and labor warranty. $2208 exchanged
    Business Shipping (+75 for residential)$150
    7 Year Promise - coverage up to $100 an hour labor (+200)(Optional)
    Powertrain Products Pure Care for No Fault coverage (+349)(Optional

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
RonnieJones