Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

JD Power does a 3-year reliability survey, so this applies to cars from 2006. This time, they excluded smaller wear and tear items to focus on actual things that go wrong:
-Exterior
-The Driving Experience
-Features/Controls/Displays
-Audio/Entertainment/Navigation
-Seats
-HVAC
-Interior
-Engine/Transmission

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2009043

The 2006 Lexus LS430 is the top ranked vehicle in any category and is the top-ranked car in the history of the survey. That generation of LS has been discontinued.

Subcompact: Scion xA

Compact: Prius

Midsize: Buick Lacrosse

Large: Mercury Grand Marquis

Entry premium: Lincoln Zephyr

Midsize premium: Acura RL tied with Lexus ES330

Large premium: Lexus LS430

Sporty: Miata

Midsize sporty: Solara (LOL SPORTY LOL)

Small SUV: Honda Element

Midsize SUV: Toyota Highlander

Large SUV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize truck: Ford Ranger

Large truck: Toyota Tundra (this is the OLD Tundra, not the ugly heap that arrived in 2007)

Van: Dodge Caravan

Most dependable regardless of category:
Lexus LS430
Toyota Avalon
Lexus ES330
Acura RL
Camry
Mercury Montego
Buick Lacrosse
Buick Lucerne
Mercury Grand Marquis
Lexus SC430

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
How is Buick so high while GMC and Chevy are so low? They are pretty close to the same cars. My guess is its about the people who drive the cars. The typical Buick driver is probably much more cautious and easy going than the average Chevy or GMC driver.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is Buick so high while GMC and Chevy are so low? They are pretty close to the same cars. My guess is its about the people who drive the cars. The typical Buick driver is probably much more cautious and easy going than the average Chevy or GMC driver.
Statistics. Here's my post from Jalopnik:

If you go to the JD Powers site and read about the survey, you'll see that they tightened the criteria for what constitutes a "problem". Worn out wipers can no longer be counted, for example.

In addition, a brand that has the fewest problems per 100 units is not the same as a model. The 2006 LS430, according to this 2009 3-year survey, is the most reliable car in the history of the survey.

But Lexus the BRAND has other models sold in higher volumes with slightly lower rankings, like the GS430.

Mercury ranks higher than Ford because its basically a collection of certain Ford vehicles. There are no Econoline vans or Focuses sold as Mercurys. The Mercury BRAND mostly consists of the Grand Marquis, thus its high ranking on the survey over Ford.

Alright, class dismissed.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
That just left me confused and angry.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,270 Posts
You might have something there, but don't overlook the people who put the car together either (which plant a vehicle is assembled in, has shown quality issues for a long time too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts