Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Since I couldn't find any real evidence on the drop that H&R Springs would give the CTS on the forums, I went ahead and got them and a set of CTS-V wheels wrapped in Michelin Super Sports.

This post is an update to an earlier post I started a few weeks ago when I was asking about tire sizing for CTS-V 19"s on the CTS. Any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 CTS
197 Posts
Looks very good. Did you measure to see how much drop it gave? How is the ride? And did you cut bump stops and do they squeak and did you get an alignment? sorry for all the questions but i really want to do this thanks

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks very good. Did you measure to see how much drop it gave how is the ride. And did you cut bump stops and do they squeak and did you get an alignment? sorry for all the questions but i really want to do this thanks
Thanks. I must have spent literally 40-50 hours researching all setups for this car. I am not a mechanic, but, I know a few good ones and I do all my own part sourcing between Ebay, the forums, Craigslist.org, Pep Boys online promo discounts etc...this kept all costs very low as I was working within a set budget.

H&R specs claim a 1.4" drop in front and a 1.3" in rear. I chose H&R over Eibach due to a lot of forum users claiming the ideal drop was just not enough. I am still not completely satisfied with the drop in the front, but, on the other end of the spectrum, I have no wheel rub or issues with front ground clearance whatsoever. I would say that the H&R Springs are the way to go if you are truly looking to close the gap in the wheel well without cutting the springs. Also, I have heard that the car will "settle" even lower and noticed this especially in the rear over the course of a week.

As for the drive, I rode on the stock 18" alloys for a week before I had the 19"s installed and there were no issues. Once the V wheels with the wider performance Super Sports were installed, the car took on a brand new feel. The handling is rigid, but, precise and goes exactly where you steer it. The stock FE2 (37,800 miles) still provides a nice cushion as I DID NOT cut the bump stops. There is no squeaking. NOTE: I considered 20" wheels to completely close that gap, but opted for the factory CTS V's because a) I like the look of the aggressive OEM b) I have read that users with 20" were unsatisfied with performance c) did not want to deal with worrying about every pothole and speed hump screwing up the setup.

As of typing this, I have not gotten an alignment yet. I had my mechanic for my company install the springs and he assured me I wouldn't need an alignment. I am playing around with tire pressure right now, as the installers set the tires to the rated 40 PSI. Although better for gas mileage I'm sure, the ride was too stiff, so I dropped it to 34 all around. I am watching to see if it's pulling to the right or if it's just the SoFla roads. I may take it in for an alignment for peace of mind.

All in all, the car is exactly where I wanted it to be a month from purchase. The only other appearance mods that have been done is tints and as far as performance, I installed the Volant CAI and 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbos with 4" MagnaFlow weld-on tips.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Get an alignment. It doesn't cost that much and will save you some tire wear. Also 40 psi is pretty high. I would stick with the recommended 35

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,029 Posts
H&R specs claim a 1.4" drop in front and a 1.3" in rear.
Park the car on a (reasonably) level surface - I find the concrete pad around the pumps at a gas station is usually pretty flat and level - and measure from the center of the wheel up to the fender lip. That will give a ride height for others to compare to. (Don't measure to the ground - measure to the center of the wheel, as that way the wheel size and tire sidewall height are taken out of the equation.)

As of typing this, I have not gotten an alignment yet. I had my mechanic for my company install the springs and he assured me I wouldn't need an alignment.
He was wrong. If you've changed the ride height, your alignment has changed.

I am playing around with tire pressure right now, as the installers set the tires to the rated 40 PSI.
"Rated" according to what? :confused:

Car looks good! Definitely transforms the appearance.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I had the alignment done today. Tech said it wasn't terrible just a slight toe in the front. That would account for the pull to the right I was experiencing. The measurements from fender lip to center cap are front 14" 3/4 and rear 13" 1/2. Does anyone knowvthe stock height? I am not a smart man and failed to measure prior to install.

As far as the rated 40 PSI, I have no idea where I came up with that number, but, I currently have them set to 33 and they fluctuate up to 35/36 or so hot.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, suggestions, and comments on the car! As mentioned before, I know the topic of lowering comes up quite a bit and I was surprised that more CTS lowered with H&r Springs aren't shown. Hope this thread helps the newcomers to the forum.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-4 3.6
1 Posts
Is this a CTS4? What size are the wheels and tires? I need new tires for my CTS4 and want to upgrade to 19"

·
Registered
Traded in that boat anchor
129 Posts
I have the same 19" rims on my 2011 CTS4. They are the factory polished set and I really like them. I have read on here that you can't lower the AWD models but I like the look of mine the way it is with the 19" rims so lowering it isn't a big deal to me. I did see another black CTS the other day that was lowered and it did look good though.

·
Registered
cts
320 Posts
I'm surprised a lot of you guys found it difficult to find information on these springs. Quite a few of us have tried them.

I used to have H&R springs with 20" wheels RWD. I liked them a lot the front always had a slightly larger gap than the rear, however it cleared all curbs and parking blocks by a few millimeters.

Its pretty much the lowest you can go without coilovers.

and NEVER EVER cut you're springs.

I love the low stance, so I bit the bullet and purchased some BC coilovers. I personally love them, yet they are more expensive than most are willing to pay to go lower. ($900)

I also can post a before and after of H&R vs coils if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
cts
320 Posts
Yes pics please

a stock cts vs lowered

just my take since i've had both
-Both look aggressive
-Both get looks.. the coilovers get a lot more
-Both ride smooth... The coilovers are adjustable so you can make them perfect for you.
-Coilovers have adjustable height

eibach springs are pretty conservative in my opinion, but there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like.

If i were to get a new car I'd probably look at a deal on airbags or go coil-overs again. The flexibility to lift the car from a button with airbags is pretty nice,however they are expensive. I live in Florida, for the most part, the roads out here are pretty "low friendly" lol.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes pics please

a stock cts vs lowered

just my take since i've had both
-Both look aggressive
-Both get looks.. the coilovers get a lot more
-Both ride smooth... The coilovers are adjustable so you can make them perfect for you.
-Coilovers have adjustable height

eibach springs are pretty conservative in my opinion, but there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like.

If i were to get a new car I'd probably look at a deal on airbags or go coil-overs again. The flexibility to lift the car from a button with airbags is pretty nice,however they are expensive. I live in Florida, for the most part, the roads out here are pretty "low friendly" lol.
Looks great. I also live in SoFlo and I have not had a single issue with the H&Rs on any speed hump.

You also got me thinking about coil-overs as that was the look I was originally looking for, but, for time being I am happy not worrying about every single crack, dent, and lip in the road.

Sweet transformation pics btw!

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My transformation. Home from dealership with wrong 17" wheels and tires. Correct 18" wheels and tires. H&Rs installed. CTS-V 19" installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 CTS
197 Posts
Thank you all now from the pics and discussion I decided to get the H&R springs I do have 20's and awd but as researched they will fit and work just were not tested on a track the coilovers do look awesome eibachs i think will be to suttle for me I do drive mine 3 seasons (no winter) in Michigan so H&R will be a good middle ground for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I couldn't find any real evidence on the drop that H&R Springs would give the CTS on the forums, I went ahead and got them and a set of CTS-V wheels wrapped in Michelin Super Sports.

This post is an update to an earlier post I started a few weeks ago when I was asking about tire sizing for CTS-V 19"s on the CTS. Any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers!
Hello! I have the same car, same Wheels, and same springs, I was wondering why it dropped more in the back than in the front, I called H&R and they say that it has to be an installation problem. I do Le checked it and it's ok, checked the part # and is ok, don't want to cut anything, does anyone knows if there's a thinner spring base in the market so I can close more the gap in the front? Or any other idea? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice write up and pics. I ordered the Eibachs before I saw this and hope to get them installed in the next couple of weeks.

As for the 19" factory wheels I think you made a good choice. I did the same except went with the premium wheels and powder coated them.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Wagon
6 Posts
Any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers!
You are my hero - this is the exact setup I’m planning for my 3.0L wagon. It looks great, Well done! Are your super sports 255/40R19?

The 19” CTS-V wheels are what offset? Am I to assume that all wheels on 3.0L, 3.6L and CTS-V are interchangeable without issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 deville, 2008 cts, 2016 cts
67 Posts
07 cts v 1 springs on 2008 cts 3.6?

Will it work. 2007 cts v lowering springs on 08 cts 3.6. Found some springs cheap. Wanted to know if they fit. The weights of the cars are similar. Just trying for a lower wheel fender gap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts