Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owed a 2009 Escalade Hybrid for 3 years now and it now has 171K miles on it(bought it was 110K). Over the last year the truck has started to hesitate when accelerating, almost like it slips between electric and gas mode. When it started, it just did it once in a while and now it's quite consistent. I also occasionally get into situation where the truck with jerk forward and back quite violently while making some clunking noises. This seems to happen after I've driven slowly up a steeper incline for a little bit of time(happens in parking garages and when moving slowly through traffic). I've taken the truck to the dealership a couple times now and they can't find anything wrong with it. They insist that their computer thing that they plug into when I check it would see any error codes in the hybrid system. I've even gone on a 20 minute drive with their lead tech who said the hesitation is normal for hybrids and there isn't anything that can be done. I know that's not right as the vehicle didn't do it when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't of considered it! I have also seen my average MPG drop from around 18 to 15 over the last year.

I've read some threads here mentioning the battery may be the culprit but without the dealer giving me any info on the condition of the battery, I would rather not just throw money at the truck hoping it'll fix it. Does anyone know of any way to test the battery system myself? Or know of any competent shops in northern CA that would be willing to look at it? I'm at a loss and it's getting to the point that I can't stand driving it, despite it being such a comfortable truck.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,646 Posts
Call some Chevy and GMC dealers. They used the same hybrid system in their SUVs and trucks. Maybe you can find that one guy in your area that diagnose it. But it’s such a low volume hybrid, you’ll probably have a hard time getting it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owed a 2009 Escalade Hybrid for 3 years now and it now has 171K miles on it(bought it was 110K). Over the last year the truck has started to hesitate when accelerating, almost like it slips between electric and gas mode. When it started, it just did it once in a while and now it's quite consistent. I also occasionally get into situation where the truck with jerk forward and back quite violently while making some clunking noises. This seems to happen after I've driven slowly up a steeper incline for a little bit of time(happens in parking garages and when moving slowly through traffic). I've taken the truck to the dealership a couple times now and they can't find anything wrong with it. They insist that their computer thing that they plug into when I check it would see any error codes in the hybrid system. I've even gone on a 20 minute drive with their lead tech who said the hesitation is normal for hybrids and there isn't anything that can be done. I know that's not right as the vehicle didn't do it when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't of considered it! I have also seen my average MPG drop from around 18 to 15 over the last year.

I've read some threads here mentioning the battery may be the culprit but without the dealer giving me any info on the condition of the battery, I would rather not just throw money at the truck hoping it'll fix it. Does anyone know of any way to test the battery system myself? Or know of any competent shops in northern CA that would be willing to look at it? I'm at a loss and it's getting to the point that I can't stand driving it, despite it being such a comfortable truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had same issue about 1year and half.
I believe it is all about hybrid issue of course when dealer or other hybrid shop checked hybrid battery, it has great condition.
I have done by myself try to reduce the problems..so since last summer I warm up the car enough till I see the RPM goes down to Auto Stop then I start driving.
Even in the Summer now, I do the same.
I don’t see the problem yet. Maybe somehow hybrid battery doesn’t charge quickly enough or fully enough to drive local specially frequent stops where this car has to use hybrid battery often. I don’t see a problem when I drive on highway.
Another thing I try to do is regally try to get on highway and driving without constant stops. I do not want to see that problem again..scary experience. Oh whenever I have to start driving, I warm up the car until RPM drops to Auto Stop. One more thing, I notice after driving highway, start the car after parking, RPM drops to Auto Stop instantly, BUT after you drive local with many stops, when you start the car after parking, the RPM keeps around 700-1000 quiet while then drops to Auto Stop. Try and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an ‘09 Hybrid last week with 98K miles and I have noticed the same hesitation issue on acceleration. Tonight while driving in a parking lot it suddenly lunged forward and felt like it was going to stall or something it was definitely not normal or safe. Anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be? I’m brand new to Cadillac and to this forum. I was a very satisfied Acura and Ford owner for many years until I decided to buy this Escalade Hybrid last week, now I’m already starting to regret that decision.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you guys sure its not just a simple engine misfire causing the jerkiness? Could be something as simple as needing a tune-up, spark plugs, spark plugs wires, etc. Or a misfire caused by a bad ignition coil or fuel injector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did change spark plugs and wires hoping for fixing that problem. Guess what? Still have that problem. When Spark plugs had a problem, you might see warning of Reduced Power and other lights on your dashboard.
I really hope somebody find out what really causing this problems. I called headquarter and ask see if they had reports but of course they said never heard of.

Has anyone seen how hybrid battery acted on hybrid screen at that time of event?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,751 Posts
have the dealer pull codes to see if it is the hybrid battery at fault. I had my fuel pump fail at 188,000 miles. Use a fresh 12v battery all the time to prevent draining the 300v hybrid battery which is self charging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I left my car sever times and each several days for them to see if it happens or they can get code for. No.
They couldn’t locate and said it was all perfect. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 09 Escalade Hybrid with the same problem that just keeps getting worse. I've had so many things do to it and nothing seems to work. new (regular) battery and cables, spark plugs and wires, coil pack, some transmission module, so many other things. Recently started with the high idle at complete stops and the only way to bring it down is to switch to neutral. These are the junkiest vehicles I've ever encountered. I bought the extended warranty and that was the biggest waste of money because the Cadillac, GM and 2 Chevy dealerships couldn't figure it out. Of course, my hybrid system tested "normal". I have no idea what to do. It's currently sitting at a shop that I trust but they are baffled too.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
8 Posts
I'm a retired ASE Heavy Equipment Tech, I have run the codes several times not finding fault with the hybrid system/transmission but continue to have the same hesitation/jerking problem on my 2009 Escalade Hybrid. Didn't occur when I purchased it with 91K miles but started showing at 122K miles. To avoid it (hesitation/jerking) until I can diagnose the actual problem I simply lock the shifter in lower range. It locks out the Hybrid system, still have all 4 gears forward; you loose some mpg but do not have the stalling or hesitation issue on acceleration. Only when the transmission temp reaches 120+ degrees does this issue seem to temporarily resolve itself. To me this suggests a bypassing seal or weak/worn component that reseals when clearances shrink with thermal expansion. Almost no suddenly lunged forward or feeling like it is trying to stall after transmission temperature is reached at 120 degrees. Doing some research the lurching/stalling the problem cause seems to point to a malfunctioning external transmission pump, GM part #19207983 (Pump). Priced around $200 plus a $30 core charge from GM. This is the parts price not including installation of course. Already have done a full system flush and transmission filter service with Dexron VI Synthetic ATF fluid, no changes. Trying to locate a rebuilder who specializes in rebuilding the Escalade Hybrid transmission for advice and further diagnosis. Yes, I have removed the hybrid battery, checked, cleaned and tested all the cells. no problems with the 300 volt hybrid battery as of yet. BTW, if you have not serviced the front, rear and transfer case do it! Former owner neglected this, almost cost me a front differential. Got lucky with just a seal, gasket, bearing and shift actuator rebuild. While I had it out I replaced both half shafts too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a retired ASE Heavy Equipment Tech, I have run the codes several times not finding fault with the hybrid system/transmission but continue to have the same hesitation/jerking problem on my 2009 Escalade Hybrid. Didn't occur when I purchased it with 91K miles but started showing at 122K miles. To avoid it (hesitation/jerking) until I can diagnose the actual problem I simply lock the shifter in lower range. It locks out the Hybrid system, still have all 4 gears forward; you loose some mpg but do not have the stalling or hesitation issue on acceleration. Only when the transmission temp reaches 120+ degrees does this issue seem to temporarily resolve itself. To me this suggests a bypassing seal or weak/worn component that reseals when clearances shrink with thermal expansion. Almost no suddenly lunged forward or feeling like it is trying to stall after transmission temperature is reached at 120 degrees. Doing some research the lurching/stalling the problem cause seems to point to a malfunctioning external transmission pump, GM part #19207983 (Pump). Priced around $200 plus a $30 core charge from GM. This is the parts price not including installation of course. Already have done a full system flush and transmission filter service with Dexron VI Synthetic ATF fluid, no changes. Trying to locate a rebuilder who specializes in rebuilding the Escalade Hybrid transmission for advice and further diagnosis. Yes, I have removed the hybrid battery, checked, cleaned and tested all the cells. no problems with the 300 volt hybrid battery as of yet. BTW, if you have not serviced the front, rear and transfer case do it! Former owner neglected this, almost cost me a front differential. Got lucky with just a seal, gasket, bearing and shift actuator rebuild. While I had it out I replaced both half shafts too.
Any update on the solution to the shifting problem. I accelerate onto the freeway and it’s screening up to 6000rpm gutlessly....what transmission is on the 2009 Escalade Hybrid anyways? 4L60E?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The transmission is the hybrid part of a hybrid Escalade. It has 2 electric motors in it. It’s a 2ML70

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2012 hybrid model I had the same issues but the car when I first bought found out the dealership thought if they unplugged the battery it would be ok little did they know it still went bad I replaced the battery through green bean battery with a lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
How easy is the external transmission pump to replace? How many man hours should it be for a mechanic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
have the dealer pull codes to see if it is the hybrid battery at fault. I had my fuel pump fail at 188,000 miles. Use a fresh 12v battery all the time to prevent draining the 300v hybrid battery which is self charging.
Do you mean to suggest that these Hybrids can run on a bad 12v car battery because it’s using/draining the 300v hybrid battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 hybrid model I had the same issues but the car when I first bought found out the dealership thought if they unplugged the battery it would be ok little did they know it still went bad I replaced the battery through green bean battery with a lifetime warranty

What was the before and after difference when you had the Green Bean battery installed?

·
Registered
127 Posts
What was the before and after difference when you had the Green Bean battery installed?
Ask I got ten cel for a bad pcm in the battery it would jerks and be hesitates and I got a very horrible gas mileage like 9 gallons to the mile

1 - 18 of 18 Posts