Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2009 cts4 and I’m changing the engine to a lower mileage one because the one I have right now is shot. What should I do to the new engine while it’s out?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,823 Posts
New engine? Crate? Nothing. Fluids might be good to check.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,185 Posts
Water pump, timing chain, thermostat...
Think "anything that will be a royal PITA while in the engine bay".

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,525 Posts
as others have said, replace what you can. So this used engine with lower miles at 100,000 is it the same type and year?
I would change the rear main seal and the trans. front input seal.
as your doing the timing chain new plugs too. also, the engine mounts, and drive belts. the list is getting bigger.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,129 Posts
remembering 100K KMs are about 62K+ miles I'd still follow TheFlash's advice...

Bill

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,823 Posts
How is the old one shot? And do you have the Ly7 or LLT engine? If you have to swap out the engine anyhow you might consider upgrading to a newer LFX or if you have the cahones a v8. There is information out there on upgrading to a newer motor. Or you can even try rebuilding your engine as long as there is no major damage to the block and heads. By rebuilding if you have an LY7 you could turn it into an LLT. Or other such upgrades. Otherwise if you are swapping motors I would just change some of the gaskets such as the ones mentioned that are hard to get to, maybe the thermostat and call it good. New fluids of course.. And would change the oil again after 500 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts