Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a 2009 CTS 3.6 DI. Southern Florida, one owner, dealer maintained. Purchased As Is from Ed Morse Sawgrass Cadillac. Carfax stated one prior accident, supposed front fender, no airbag deploy.

So I purchased the car (not certified pre-owned) with 37,700 miles in April, just one month out of the basic warranties including the 5 year Rust/Corrosion Warranty. This past weekend to my surprise I had the hood up and while going over the car I notice a small bubbling on the underside of the hood near where the front right headlight lies and a spot forming, no larger than .5" forming on the lip of the edge. For what I thought was going to be a easy/cheap resolve is turning into a $500-$700 nightmare. I have done some reading on the forums that this was an issue with some 2007 cts models that a tsb was issued.

I need your all opinion on how to go about this. I received two quotes today $700 (nope) and $500 (doable but still nope). Both basically claimed that I should take this up with GM and exhaust all avenues with them, since my wife's 2012 Chevrolet Traverse 2LT experienced a plethora of recall, safety, airbag, seat belt, blown radiator, etc. We spent the last year driving a different rental every month or so. Her family is Die Hard Chevrolet/Corvette and we are Traverse and now my CTS. Since this is clearly a factory issue being an aluminum hood and was clearly forming during time of warranty, and purchasing one month out of warranty from a Cadillac Dealer does anyone have input on my approach on this. Other than this issue the car is 100% pristine condition. How many 2nd Generation CTS owners have experienced this?

The second body shop manager said to take it up with the GM dealer that took care of all the issues with the Traverse rather than the Cadillac Dealer where I purchased it. Anyone back that idea? Thanks ahead of time for anyone's input and time spent reading.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,047 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that an aluminum hood is not rusting.

This past weekend to my surprise I had the hood up ...
Why were you surprised you had the hood up? ;)

For what I thought was going to be a easy/cheap resolve is turning into a $500-$700 nightmare.
"Nightmare"? It's a 6-year-old car that you said is in excellent condition except for a 1/2" blemish on the underside of the hood. Spend $10 on touch-up paint and fix it.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Aluminum does not rust! Steel rusts!

Take a magnet (any strength) an see is you have a steel hood. Let us know which material the hood contains.

Aluminum oxidizes and it is different than rust. Different chemistry.

Marv

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminum does not rust! Steel rusts!

Take a magnet (any strength) an see is you have a steel hood. Let us know which material the hood contains.

Aluminum oxidizes and it is different than rust. Different chemistry.

Marv
It is the original aluminum hood and you are right oxidation is what the second repair shop informed me that is happening.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Doggone it, I'm a metal man and youse guyz beat me to it. Gotta be quick here!

I have to agree with Mods...get some touchup paint and fix it yourself, especially since it is under the hood.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. My main concern is the edge of the hood, but consensus seems to be to address it myself. Ordered the touch up paint last night.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Provided the bubbling hasn't gone to the top of the hood/exposed to view so you don't have to work that area, be sure to tape it off with painter's tape when you paint.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 LY7
236 Posts
My hood has a small spot on top where it began to bubble...
Provided the bubbling hasn't gone to the top of the hood/exposed to view so you don't have to work that area, be sure to tape it off with painter's tape when you paint.

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
Just blend it in well. Preparation is 90% of the job. Good luck! You can do it.

·
Registered
Traded in that boat anchor
129 Posts
Isn't the GM rust and paint warranty like 7 years ? I can't remember off the top of my head but it seems it should cover that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts