Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to disconnect the front driveshaft of my 2009 SRX in order to isolate a clunking noise it is making underneath. I checked them two days ago and seemed Torx. However, I was checking a forum in another website and says it is triple square. Can somebody clarify for me and provide me the size? I don't want to peel these screws...

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
685 Posts
Whichever you have, be sure that the socket hole is clean so you can get full engagement before wrenching on it.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
208 Posts
On my 2004 it was torx. If the clunking noise is when accelerating it could possibly be stretched chain in transfer case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 45 Torx. Now, if somebody can help me on how I get the driveshaft out, I will appreciate it. The picture that is more dark is from the front differential. The picture that is more clear is from the transfer case.

Attachments

·
2004 SRX
164 Posts
You'll have to remove the bolts then either loosen the transfer case and slide it back or move the front diff forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Whateg01. For what I was trying to do, I stopped working already. I was trying to isolate the clunking noise. If it was the driveshaft I can worked on it but if it is the differential, I will need more equipment and helping hands that I don't have.

·
2004 SRX
164 Posts
The common cause is the transfer case. It may sound like it comes from somewhere else, but the cause of it is slack in the transfer case chain. You shift gears and things start to move, then once the slack is taken up, it's a sudden thunk. When it gets worse, you'll find that if you get on the gas hard, the chain actually slips and sounds like gears stripping. That's the condition my car was in when I bought it a few months ago. When I took the transfer case apart, the chain would not lay down in the teeth of the gear (acting like a sprocket) all the way around. I think I may have taken pics, but I don't recall.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That why I was really eager to remove the driveshaft. On multiple times, I have put the SRX on stands and transmission in neutral. Then I go under the vehicle and start moving either the tires or the driveshaft. The sound comes from the differential case but I might be wrong...

·
2004 SRX
164 Posts
I'm not sure what you'll accomplish by removing the driveshaft vs. just taking the bolts out of it and letting it spin in place. You can't drive without it in place. Even on stands, without the front driveshaft in place, all that will happen is the front output shaft will turn.

Dave

·
2004 SRX
164 Posts
Here's a pic of the original xfer case chain. You can see how much it's stretched just in the distance around half the gear.

xfer case chain.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
270 Posts
Use a tranny jack to take the transfer case out. I actually rebuilt my own eith the updated chain but I elected to remove it using a normal jack and it rolled off on my chest, and hit the floor on removal. Needed extra booze that night to repair my ego. LOL

·
Registered
04 SRX
6 Posts
I think the worst part of pulling the transfer case was the exhaust bolts to the cat’s, rust thin as pencil lead, and only the dealers can order the correct ones. Otherwise to replace the chain was a easy. Also the thing about removing the drive shaft. Soft face hammer will jar it loose from the differential first then you can move it out of the way then the one by the transfer case( the little prongs hole it in place) there is ONLY enough room when you push the ends together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2004 SRX
164 Posts
I broke all 4 bolts. Drilling out what was left was a pain and I ended up using a carbide burr to finish the job then just put some grade 8 flange books in their place. When they get Rusty and won't come out, I'll just cut them and repeat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts