Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 STS4 with FE3/F55 suspension. The car has 96k miles. In the last few months I have had one rear shock seize, the other rear shock started leaking oil and lost it's dampening ability. Now the right front shock is starting to seize. Do these shocks/struts have a history of failure at less than 100k miles. It troubles me that they all went bad within a few thousand miles of each other.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
smokeeater495 said:
I have a 2008 STS4 with FE3/F55 suspension. The car has 96k miles. In the last few months I have had one rear shock seize, the other rear shock started leaking oil and lost it's dampening ability. Now the right front shock is starting to seize. Do these shocks/struts have a history of failure at less than 100k miles. It troubles me that they all went bad within a few thousand miles of each other.
Has shocks should be replaced every 25-50k. You got 100k. I'd say that's good for a strut / shock wouldn't you?

The only failure of magnetic ride shocks is leaking. They don't wear out. Everything fails at some point.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
Has shocks should be replaced every 25-50k. You got 100k. I'd say that's good for a strut / shock wouldn't you?

The only failure of magnetic ride shocks is leaking. They don't wear out. Everything fails at some point.
I wouldnt say that is good at all in normal usage

Yes..everything fails at some point but shocks failing, under normal driving conditions, with that mileage is not class leading

Warren

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
My 05 Magnetic shocks started leaking at 130k. One member on the forum drives with them empty. Says ride is still decent but who really knows...

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
I have been on line with a warranty company, who would like me to get a Extended waranty
with them, and I more or less, said, some companies do NOT cover shocks or struts, because
the mechanic, didn't say the correct name for that part,in trying to get it covered under
extended warranty, the guy came back with: "No" extended warranty company, Excluding CPO, covers
shocks or struts ? Any comments on this, as I would Like a company to cover these, as
they are VERY expensive. Talking F55 Only. Please mention Companys names. Thanks
Happy Motoring :):suspect::stirpot:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I have been on line with a warranty company, who would like me to get a Extended waranty
with them, and I more or less, said, some companies do NOT cover shocks or struts, because
the mechanic, didn't say the correct name for that part,in trying to get it covered under
extended warranty, the guy came back with: "No" extended warranty company, Excluding CPO, covers
shocks or struts ? Any comments on this, as I would Like a company to cover these, as
they are VERY expensive. Talking F55 Only.
Happ Motoring :):suspect::stirpot:
Set a few dollars aside in a piggy bank every month for shocks/struts and you'll be miles ahead of the game. Warranties don't benefit anybody but the guy selling them.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
Set a few dollars aside in a piggy bank every month for shocks/struts and you'll be miles ahead of the game. Warranties don't benefit anybody but the guy selling them.
dont know about that

anyone who has had head gasket or magnetic ride control( or ISS) repair done under warranty would disagree with you

However

the other stipulation is most warranty companies these days a have a financial stipulation

their total obligation is only covering cumulative repairs up to the book value of the car

So..as far as these cars have typically lost resale

a couple of major repairs...say HG and suspension repairs could be more than the value of the car

keep that in mind

Warren

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Given my situation I'd be happy with 100,000 miles. Heck, all four of mine have been replaced and I don't even have 100,000km (about 62,000 miles) on my 2008.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
turnne said:
I wouldnt say that is good at all in normal usage Yes..everything fails at some point but shocks failing, under normal driving conditions, with that mileage is not class leading Warren
Lol so you telling me Lincoln air ride last longer? How about the bilsteins used in Audi? Youre SADLY mistaken. Take you over 100k worth of pot holes and see how you hold up. It's always something to bitch about with these cars when it comes to you.

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
I guess I'm glad now that my car was equipped with passive struts, LOL. My car has 147k and they don't show up on the service records so I assume they're original. Not bad.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
Lol so you telling me Lincoln air ride last longer? How about the bilsteins used in Audi? Youre SADLY mistaken. Take you over 100
k worth of pot holes and see how you hold up. It's always something to bitch about with these cars when it comes to you.
Lincoln even use that air ride any more?...
Just another reason that those cars became throw away cars as well...low resale and high repair costs make a car meet the junkyard quickly

As for bilsteins...I have 3 Mercedes benz vehicles that went well over 100K miles and no issues what so ever

Your comment about 25-50K miles at failure time is below class standards
It may happen..frequently to a brand
It just means like those Lincolns etc it just gets to the junkyard that much sooner

Oh...and by the way have you noticed that Lincoln has completely changed their sedan line up?

Perhaps there was a reason why

Warren

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
I purchased my 08 with an after market warranty from a Chev dealer. They told me they cover just about everything. Well the lane departure module died, the parking brake needs adjustment and the trunk struts were gone. They covered nada. So within the month I just cancelled it and got my $2500 back. Take it for what it's worth. I think unless they are B2B they're worthless.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
I guess I'm glad now that my car was equipped with passive struts, LOL. My car has 147k and they don't show up on the service records
so I assume they're original. Not bad.
you bring up an interesting point
At one point a few years ago..I had a late build STS..02....with the F55 Mag ride
I also had a late model Aurora V8 as well that I put some new Monroes on all around

the suspension on the Cadillac would have been 4x what the Aurora was to replace

The Cadillac was "slightly" better....say $500 more if I put a value on it

Suffice to say I doubt you are missing much with your passive set up on your STS vs the F55 set up

I traded in the 02 STS at 127K....it had been fairly problem free ..but at that point the suspension replacement would have been at least as much as the car was worth

Warren

----------

I purchased my 08 with an after market warranty from a Chev dealer. They told me they cover just about everything. Well the lane
departure module died, the parking brake needs adjustment and the trunk struts were gone. They covered nada. So within the month I just cancelled it and got
my $2500 back. Take it for what it's worth. I think unless they are B2B they're worthless.
yes...unless it says its covered explicitly...then I would make the assumption that it is not

When mine was under warranty they replaced some components of the drivetrain to fix the "chuggle"..a water pump....the drivers door receiver and a few other odds and ends

I think they covered about $3500 worth

On another note..I think my 02 was a more reliable car

Warren

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Last I checked most Lincolns were built on platforms taken from Ford...Not a real testament to Fords trust in letting their LUXURY brand lead the way, its supposed to be trickle DOWN technology, not up.

Bilsteins failed 3 times on my Camaro track car... running Konis now... not a single failure...

03 STS, 1 rear strut failed at 110k in 2014... I would say that shock proved its service life.

Why don't you think most aftermarket warranties don't cover shocks/struts, because they are considered a WEAR AND TEAR item. Like tires or brake pads, the more you use it and abuse it the sooner it's going to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We got the strut replaced this week. It had an obvious oil leak. The car rides much better now. My theory about the inconsistent ride quality is that the MRC "gets confused" as oil is lost. When first starting off with the car in the morning the suspension was pretty compliant. After a few miles the bad strut got very harsh. The rebound dampening was most noticeably affected, like an old 90/10 drag racing shock. The intent of the original post was to discuss any known problems with these suspension components. The extended warranty discussion has taken it in a different direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts