Registered
HAD a miserable Catera and even worse 2003 STS
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
One of those (only RWD) popped up here for sale (edit: and I've just noticed that it's a 3rd owner in under 100k km.....), are those timing chain issues really that bad? I mean, unless it's like something that it snaps at random or something... I also hear that the V6 has a high oil consumption.

K

·
0 Posts
Can't be that "bad" an engine given this one has gone over 200KM and GM is using it across all vehicle lines now. Just make sure the to check the oil frequently and change at reasonable intervals. Most DO NOT use oil.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
dkozloski said:
V6s are plagued by bad timing chains and the cost of repairs is horrendous. You have been warned.
Thanks I plan on getting all the service records from a GM dealer before even considering it. ----------
KRSTS said:
Can't be that "bad" an engine given this one has gone over 200KM and GM is using it across all vehicle lines now. Just make sure the to check the oil frequently and change at reasonable intervals. Most DO NOT use oil.
Thanks. In the grand scheme of things oil changes aren't hugely expensive. It's other stuff I worry about. Can anyone comment on the asking price? Canadian Black Book (equiv of KBB) says $15K but that's with no mileage spec.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to add the link to this review, it is absolutely hysterical: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/09/2008-cadillac-sts-v6-review/

Some memorable quotes: "But where the old CTS was a shot of Jägermeister to Johnny Walker entry-level luxo sedans, the STS’ conservative contours are a lukewarm bottle of piss."
"For all of GM’s talk of world-class interiors, the new-for-‘08 STS still has the shittiest cabin in its class."

There are more, it's worth a read. Absolutely hilarious.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
Sounds as if the car will make a worthy addition to your other two excellent used Cadillac choices. Just stick with low priced high mileage used Cadillacs and you'll be a happy camper !

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ another uncalled for rude response. are you unable to answer a question without a personal attack? Please do not reply to any more of my threads. Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Find poor examples of what can be a fine automobile and you shouldn't be surprised when enthusiasts post some discouraging replies. Persist in digging out more and you shouldn't be surprised when members make the point stronger.

If you think you might like to drive a STS, test drive a V8. Drive it like you stole it. My wife & I both have, for over 6 years.

For your own well being, don't even consider a V6. Even if you can stand driving an under-powered 2-ton car and checking the oil every time you fill the gas, unless you know it is a good one, it will be hard to 'take' the periodic expensive repair that is common to most cars with a lot of features. Some members call it a Cadillac Tax, but in our case, it was more like an extended shakedown period. She hasn't had an issue in a couple years (except a cruise control that a system reset fixed) and 1 bad switch. I've only done oil, brakes & tires in the last 1 1/2.

·
Registered
STS 3.6
4 Posts
Find poor examples of what can be a fine automobile and you shouldn't be surprised when enthusiasts post some discouraging replies. Persist in digging out more and you shouldn't be surprised when members make the point stronger.

If you think you might like to drive a STS, test drive a V8. Drive it like you stole it. My wife & I both have, for over 6 years.

For your own well being, don't even consider a V6. Even if you can stand driving an under-powered 2-ton car and checking the oil every time you fill the gas, unless you know it is a good one, it will be hard to 'take' the periodic expensive repair that is common to most cars with a lot of features. Some members call it a Cadillac Tax, but in our case, it was more like an extended shakedown period. She hasn't had an issue in a couple years (except a cruise control that a system reset fixed) and 1 bad switch. I've only done oil, brakes & tires in the last 1 1/2.
I've own 4 Cadillacs. The last 3 where a 02 STS W NORTHSTAR, 04 CTS W/3.6 motor and my latest is an 07 STS W/ 3.6 motor. I bought my 04 CTS With 70k miles and sold it with over a 150k miles and driving it everyday for 3 years with only regular service. I've had the STS for over an year now and its mostly a garage queen, but I wouldn't have purchased it if GM 3.6 V-6 was prone to those types of problems. As for the oil consumption, I've never seen any vehicle not use oil Lol. Trust me, neither of mine had heavy or above average oil use age between oil changes. And that's coming from a guy who also drives a BMW (E36). I don't drive my STS like I stole it so, I didn't see a need for the V8. That's what the bimmer is for :)! I will say that the Northstar is a very engine, but the 3.6 is not the trash that many make it out to be especially, when they have not owned one with that particular motor. Bottom line is every car has problems, but think of the reasons you want to purchase the car. I wish you the best in your purchase.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
MrSTS2007 said:
I've own 4 Cadillacs. The last 3 where a 02 STS W NORTHSTAR, 04 CTS W/3.6 motor and my latest is an 07 STS W/ 3.6 motor. I bought my 04 CTS With 70k miles and sold it with over a 150k miles and driving it everyday for 3 years with only regular service. I've had the STS for over an year now and its mostly a garage queen, but I wouldn't have purchased it if GM 3.6 V-6 was prone to those types of problems. As for the oil consumption, I've never seen any vehicle not use oil Lol. Trust me, neither of mine had heavy or above average oil use age between oil changes. And that's coming from a guy who also drives a BMW (E36). I don't drive my STS like I stole it so, I didn't see a need for the V8. That's what the bimmer is for :)! I will say that the Northstar is a very engine, but the 3.6 is not the trash that many make it out to be especially, when they have not owned one with that particular motor. Bottom line is every car has problems, but think of the reasons you want to purchase the car. I wish you the best in your purchase.
Sorry but that's a lot of misinformation here.

If the 3.6 wasn't a problem then GM wouldn't have NUMERIOUS recalls and bulletins regarding 3.6 oil consumption and timing chain failure. There have been ZERO northstar engine based recalls issued for the LH2...

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
The car does 0-60 in under 7 seconds, that's hardly underpowered, mate :p . The SRX with 3.0 is borderline as far as I'm concerned.
The V6 STS is almost 8 seconds 0-60, stock. Add another second for AWD. The DI V6 adds HP but not much torque. Ask any drag racer what really matters.

The N* RWD is under 7 seconds.

K

·
0 Posts
Sorry but that's a lot of misinformation here.

If the 3.6 wasn't a problem then GM wouldn't have NUMERIOUS recalls and bulletins regarding 3.6 oil consumption and timing chain failure. There have been ZERO northstar engine based recalls issued for the LH2...
I know of NO recalls on the GM 3.6L V6 engine. Can you provide an example?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
No recalls but definitely a TSB, OLM recalibration, and extended factory coverage on 3.6/2.8 timing chains(that's enough admission by GM for me) - There is most certainly a design flaw with those engines, the PCV system that wasn't redesigned until only a few years ago - There is TONS of threads on this forum about 3.6/2.8 oil consumption/timing chain failure. Sure, not saying ALL do this but there's enough out there to keep me far, far away from another one. I owned a '04 CTS 3.6 for a year, kept up the oil and it still started to rattle on cold starts, dumped it before it got worse and got the V8 STS.

Again, not saying every single GM 3.6L is a bad engine, but I sure as hell know what they're capable of becoming so I'd be the first one to tell someone I told you so...

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
KRSTS said:
I know of NO recalls on the GM 3.6L V6 engine. Can you provide an example?
Sorry I misspoke. "Extended coverage". It means we know it's prone to it and rather than recall and fix it proactively well hope it doesn't break in the extended coverage time and fubar the motor. GMs reasoning of course.

----------

KRSTS said:
1BadCadSTS: I thought not. You're right there is a lot of misinformation here.
Impatient much? I don't care to get on much and didn't reply in a day. You got me. I misspoke. But a recall is issued for safety reasoning. Technically the timing chain issues isn't directly related to safety so GM can scapegoat it with an extended coverage policy... They know they messed up that the motor has problems and that's how they own up to it rather than fix the underlying problem. Just like a recal of the OLM is not a fix, just the ability to force the owner to be more proactive in checking oil levels due to lessening the OLM duration.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Oh My God!

You came back and didn't post a response!

General Information
Last Activity:06-11-15 10:11 AM .Join Date:02-28-10

Not good at all...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts