Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 STS
After replacing the battery, started the car but all of the check engine/Check A/C etc error messages for various sensors were cycling through on the Information Center on the dash and the car actually stalled three twice when reversing out of the garage but after 10 to 15 minutes all of this went away and the car drove back to normal again.
My question is if this is normal for the computer to do this as some sort of a learning curve once the battery has been changed or if this points to a serious problem with the car ?

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Under LOW voltage these cars go haywire. Due to the low current when you had the corroded cable it likely logged some ghost codes that were still present when the problem was corrected. Also you don't know how long his battery was sitting on the shelf. It could of been low and needed the recharge of you driving the car to cycle it. I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem still occurs after a nice long romp on the highway.

K

·
0 Posts
looking to purchase a 2008 STS with the 3.6 di.

My question is if this is normal for the computer to do this as some sort of a learning curve once the battery has been changed or if this points to a serious problem with the car ?
No. I've disconnected the battery on my 2008 several times and never experienced anything like that.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Check your oil level religiously & strongly consider an anti-foaming kit. Good luck!

It's a shame Cadillac limited production of the V8's in later years. They have the torque to launch a 2-ton sedan, are reliable as can be and with the 6-speed trans, get nearly the same mileage as 3.6-equipped cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The seller took it into a dealer and they found a communication error. They replaced.a.connectornbut there are.lots.of connectors and they aren't certain that the problem is solved. Told him to drive it for a week or two to see if it comes back.

·
Registered
CADILLAC CTS 2008 DI
112 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, about same mileage and its a 2008 as well.
Funny enough the same thing happened with the corroded battery terminal so they ended changing the battery and running a test at the dealer on the electrical system.
All seems to be good now...just need to pull the trigger on the deal and she's mine.
If I do I hope it all works out and it was just a battery issue...

K

·
0 Posts
Paper, if you can get it for around $10 k I'd go for it. I've had my 08 DI for seven years and I still love the car. Drives like it was new. In fact, it has been the most reliable, best handling and comfortable car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Even at 10k I won't take a chance. I had a friend look up all the GM records for this car this morning and it actually spent close to 2 yrs in Florida (even though it was registered elsewhere (Canada) that did not show up on the carfax. He did some digging through his contacts and found that the dealer down there subbed out a job for some flood damage which explains the intermittent electrical issue. I don't need the headaches of chasing endless ghosts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I agree. Seller Says "it's Fixed" BUT I have seen too many nightmares of guys bringing intermittent stuff 20 times to their mechanic and never being able to find the problem. One friend financed his car even though i told hom the price was too good to be true, it ended up having flood damage that was hidden and it kept stalling for no reason. Then after.6 months tried to trade it and only hot half as much for it than he owed. I'm glad my buddy could help me out with that history search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts